My Proposal for our Offense

Advertisement
Where is brooklyndee? He was saying we werent going to open up for the game lol

Exactly, I've said this a few times. [MENTION=12910]Brooklyndee[/MENTION] back at it again with the spot on sauce.

The stuff he said about practice is right but where we really not able to practice it is my issue with his "statments" we will see this weekend if hes right or full of sh¡t

I was really excited to see our tight ends chewing up yards in this game.

I was then puked out with the sorriest play calling sequences I've seen in a long, long time.

Seemed like almost every offensive play was called by the FSU defense.

Richt needs to come to Jesus, and if he can't call plays - and take what's there - then hire a high dollar offensive coordinator.

This SEC mindset crap just sucks.

Agree with you 100%. The thing that still baffles me and that I find disturbing is why Richt never took advantage of FSUs well documented weaknesses. Stacked receivers, crossing routes, spreading the field, tempo and using our freakish TEs down the seams are things that FSU had no chance of stopping at least not for 4 quarters. Every team that has ripped the Seminole defense apart did it using some combination of the above concepts.

We have the personnel for it and Richt must have seen that on film. He has been successfully coaching big time college football for well over 2 decades specializing in offense so there is no way in picking **** he wasn't fully aware of this going into the game. Richt isn't perfect but he is far from stupid so there must have been a solid valid reason(at least to himself) for tightening up our sets and deemphasising the passing game thus playing into FSUs strength instead of attacking their weaknesses.

Was it because Kaaya hurt his shoulder on the first play? Was it also because Kaaya was borderline concussed? Was it because he didn't trust him after that terrible INT in the end zone? Is it because our OL was that terrible? I have yet to hear a good solid theory on this because I refuse to believe that Richt is so stupid as to actually have come into the game with what we saw as his game plan.

This is a pretty accurate assessment.

Thanks Lu
So it sounds like everyone agrees Richt is very experienced and smart. My question is Richt stubborn? Does anyone know? If he is flexible he should fix the issues.

Advertisement
Coley has a sprained MCL....will he play?

Has to be the most fragile player I've ever seen. Dude gets hurt on every tackle.

Ever see that gif of Peter Griffin when he hits his shin? That's Coley

maxresdefault.jpg

Most accurate description ever.

Based on what we have seen so far and our expectations with this staff and talent, I am going to use a quote from Coach John Mckay.

In response to a question about his team's execution - "I'm all in favour of it."

No doubt when we play fast the offense is more successful. He's got to use the FB as a lead because just straight line blocking ain't gonna get er done. He can also use play action to briefly freeze the rush. Can take more shots downfield because if not caught there is a chance for a penalty too. If the LB blitzes they have to hit quick routes where he vacated. Sky not falling, but there is more film for teams to prepare for you. Richt has to make adjustments and be prepared how to react when they do that.

Advertisement
Where is brooklyndee? He was saying we werent going to open up for the game lol

Exactly, I've said this a few times. [MENTION=12910]Brooklyndee[/MENTION] back at it again with the spot on sauce.

The stuff he said about practice is right but where we really not able to practice it is my issue with his "statments" we will see this weekend if hes right or full of sh¡t

Honestly I wouldn't give 3 ***** if you think I'm full of ****. You also don't know the situation from last week nor apparently as someone else said where our team hotel is if you think they have a ballroom we could've practiced in either. Take issue with whatever you'd like as it is what it is. By the way incase you didn't figure it out I don't make any choices for us. So whether or not were able to do something or not has no merit to me. I can only choose to tell you if we're doing something or not. How u take it is all on u.

No doubt when we play fast the offense is more successful. He's got to use the FB as a lead because just straight line blocking ain't gonna get er done. He can also use play action to briefly freeze the rush. Can take more shots downfield because if not caught there is a chance for a penalty too. If the LB blitzes they have to hit quick routes where he vacated. Sky not falling, but there is more film for teams to prepare for you. Richt has to make adjustments and be prepared how to react when they do that.

He's very flexible & adjustments will be made but the stuff you're proposing isn't the answer. For instance if you've been watching he's gone play action tons of times. The answer to it each time is run blitzing. Our answer to it needs to be max protect or spread the field. The problem this far has been because brad has been very limited in his pre read adjustments. Partially because he hasn't been accurate & partially because he hasn't been gave enough options for audibles. The formations is where you will see the most adjustments. Without that our gaurds will still be susceptible to bullrushes by average lineman & our tackles will get beat on speed rushes by good ends & blitzing olb. Once we fully integrate max protect in then your right our answer will be the fullback out in the flat or the tightends will expose the seams.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Ok, so I started to look back at the game a bit. It makes me want to vomit a bit, but whatever. Time to move on.

Let's start with the fact that Richt has openly said he wants to run the ball more out of traditional sets (2 backs) and take that to mean he wants less reliance on RPO.

1. Stop using our TEs as decoys

Against FSU, we used our TEs as pawns to move LBs around, keep them shallow, and either open up in breaking routes behind them for Coley and Richards (and Berrios attempts, more than on that later), or clear out routes underneath them.

I submit that Chris Herndon and David Njoku will both have NFL careers. I've said Njoku reminds me of a taller Delanie Walker. I've said Herndon reminds me of Fred Baxter, the former Jets TE/H-Back who was used as a random utility guy in the 90s.

First, let's state that FSU's TEs had 7 catches for 137 yards against UNC. So for this next game, it's potentially there if we want it. But, bigger picture, let's use Njoku's talents beating teams vertically. Against FSU, most of what both Njoku and Herndon were asked to do went toward the sideline. I mentioned that, if I'm playing Nickel or Safety against a bigger dude, I most definitely want him trying to run away from me toward the sideline because I know I can close and get between him and the ball. What I don't want is a bigger dude going vertical where he can essentially box me out. Why we didn't do that against FSU is beyond my understanding, but I propose we move in that direction.

2. Herndon in the backfield

Above, I mention that Herndon's comparison is a utility guy like Fred Baxter. In the Spring, we saw him used in the H-back and in motion. If Richt really wants to move back to more traditional sets in the run game, then Herndon is a better option than Marquez Williams and allows our offense to remain flexible. Have him come across formations on counter plays. Have him in the broken-I and in motion. Have him running simple circle routes that are EASY reads for Kaaya and require little time from our OL (think Najeh Davenport).

Essentially, while Richt wants to revert to "his style" of running the ball instead of over reliance on RPOs, we can compromise. I'm sure everyone loves Marquez Williams and he can help us in 6-8 plays a game, but he is NOT the answer to our troubles against anything but lesser teams. His presence invites more guys to fly down into the box. When we ran Coker-T in the 4th, I nearly lost my mind. It should not be our staple. We have an accurate passer who needs space, windows and some time. Clear defenders OUT rather than bring them in tighter.

3. RPO as a topping instead of the base

There is a time and place for RPO. Please, please look at RPO threads and realize it's a run/pass option and not a zone-read where Kaaya is expected to run. Looking back at the game, we actually ran the pass part more successfully than I remembered. Richards caught quick slants. Coley caught passes. We didn't even really bubble out much out of it. Kaaya should have actually elected the "P" more than he did the "R" in the RPO. It's still going to be used and it should, but let's use it with timing and to create leverage instead of our bread and butter.

4. We need vertical shots down field

I said this on the podcast and was mostly disappointed we only did it a handful of times. We need intentional shots downfield even if they don't connect. Especially if we're going to do #2 and keep Herndon and Njoku in the game together, we need to keep defenses with 2-high Safeties as much as possible. It's the only way we'll run effectively with our current OL and RB combinations. Whenever we get a RB who can get YAC or a mauling OL, I'll concede these intentional stretches of the defense will matter less. I'd still say they're extremely important in modern football. Richards is our best bet outside. That's our guy. Play Mullins if you have to and send him on just 3 routes (go, stop, out). Coley is a vertical threat out of the slot. Njoku is a vertical threat from both the TE position (especially) and sometimes out of the slot (against a LB).

5. Don't try to do all of it

I'm all for flexibility, but throwing crap at the wall makes things worse. When we went Coker-T and I-Form late in the game, it was troubling. When we immediately switched back to 4WR and trips, it was maddening. Because we switched out on the very subsequent plays. To me, that indicated a little bit of desperation. If you're going to be desperate, be radical downfield, I think. This is the inverse of our experiences with D'Onofrio. I'm not saying Coach Richt is D'Onofrio. That's unfair. I'm comparing doing too many things and then reverting to the most conservative route when the chips are down. I propose the opposite, like I did with defense. Do a handful of things - 11 Personnel (Shotgun), 12 Personnel (Herndon utility) - really well and, when the chips are down, go out swinging.

Like I said in another post, we shall find out a heck of a lot in the next 11 days. May we be on the right side of the brawl. And, by that, I mean do whatever we decide aggressively and assertively.

*By the way, I know it's not the NFL, but their league average off of 21 personnel (2 backs talked about) is somewhere around 13% plays called. Anyone want to take a guess why? So, yeah.

Good **** lu! I agree with most of this assessment.a lot of it is already in play but has yet been utilized. Hopefully this week well see a lot more of this actually called. On the rpo my problem is in most instances the running back simply plays it like a draw where with how our offense lines up were better off to go off tackle or like an option & take it wide. Our relievers are all very good blockers. We need to utilize that far more often as that's been an unexpected twist. We're just all sortve still in a feeling out phase. This week well see a lot more plays & formations that will make people happy but until everyone's on the same page how much can we realistically expect in terms of results. Lastly in terms of desperation I think you're looking at it the wrong way. A big thing with richt is utilizing match ups. However it's a big difference lining up with our d opposed to the team on the other side of us. Just have a Lil faith & give him some time

Last edited:
This week well see a lot more plays & formations that will make people happy but until everyone's on the same page how much can we realistically expect in terms of results.[/QUOTE]

Facts. Richt has repeatedly said he wanted to give these guys a clean slate and watched lil to no tape of last year. I think he is still feeling these guys out too. ''What you said before the game resonated deeply in our results.

Richt showed a clear ability to spot weaknesses and make adjustments in the app state game so I don't think he magically forgot how to do that. he also stated its tough to do things in a game you haven't really practiced for and what you said about practice makes the baffling gameplan and play calling make a lil more sense when you rehash his previous comments.

The only thing that kills me is people acting like richt has just turned into some dumb old fart that cant see the things we can see.

Coley was OC, Kaaya was QB, we sucked.

Richt is OC, Kaaya is QB, offense still sucks.

Get Golden's **** out of your ear and Shalala's juice out of your eyes and realize our offense is underperforming and has been for years.

Over-****ing-rated

The common thread there is that both play callers are not good play callers. It can't be understated how important it is in the modern game to have a good offensive system in place. The players names change every year as guys come and go....but the biggest problem we've had here not for the last TWO YEARS, but rather for the last TEN PLUS YEARS, is that we've had absolute dog **** in terms of offensive play callers.

I'm sorry but that's insane to say already that richt isn't a good play caller. Takes a Lil execution too. Can't call an effective passing game if you're line gets beat virtually every snap were in a clear passing situation. Just give the man a Lil trust. He deserves that at least

Advertisement
Ok, so I started to look back at the game a bit. It makes me want to vomit a bit, but whatever. Time to move on.

Let's start with the fact that Richt has openly said he wants to run the ball more out of traditional sets (2 backs) and take that to mean he wants less reliance on RPO.

1. Stop using our TEs as decoys

Against FSU, we used our TEs as pawns to move LBs around, keep them shallow, and either open up in breaking routes behind them for Coley and Richards (and Berrios attempts, more than on that later), or clear out routes underneath them.

I submit that Chris Herndon and David Njoku will both have NFL careers. I've said Njoku reminds me of a taller Delanie Walker. I've said Herndon reminds me of Fred Baxter, the former Jets TE/H-Back who was used as a random utility guy in the 90s.

First, let's state that FSU's TEs had 7 catches for 137 yards against UNC. So for this next game, it's potentially there if we want it. But, bigger picture, let's use Njoku's talents beating teams vertically. Against FSU, most of what both Njoku and Herndon were asked to do went toward the sideline. I mentioned that, if I'm playing Nickel or Safety against a bigger dude, I most definitely want him trying to run away from me toward the sideline because I know I can close and get between him and the ball. What I don't want is a bigger dude going vertical where he can essentially box me out. Why we didn't do that against FSU is beyond my understanding, but I propose we move in that direction.

2. Herndon in the backfield

Above, I mention that Herndon's comparison is a utility guy like Fred Baxter. In the Spring, we saw him used in the H-back and in motion. If Richt really wants to move back to more traditional sets in the run game, then Herndon is a better option than Marquez Williams and allows our offense to remain flexible. Have him come across formations on counter plays. Have him in the broken-I and in motion. Have him running simple circle routes that are EASY reads for Kaaya and require little time from our OL (think Najeh Davenport).

Essentially, while Richt wants to revert to "his style" of running the ball instead of over reliance on RPOs, we can compromise. I'm sure everyone loves Marquez Williams and he can help us in 6-8 plays a game, but he is NOT the answer to our troubles against anything but lesser teams. His presence invites more guys to fly down into the box. When we ran Coker-T in the 4th, I nearly lost my mind. It should not be our staple. We have an accurate passer who needs space, windows and some time. Clear defenders OUT rather than bring them in tighter.

3. RPO as a topping instead of the base

There is a time and place for RPO. Please, please look at RPO threads and realize it's a run/pass option and not a zone-read where Kaaya is expected to run. Looking back at the game, we actually ran the pass part more successfully than I remembered. Richards caught quick slants. Coley caught passes. We didn't even really bubble out much out of it. Kaaya should have actually elected the "P" more than he did the "R" in the RPO. It's still going to be used and it should, but let's use it with timing and to create leverage instead of our bread and butter.

4. We need vertical shots down field

I said this on the podcast and was mostly disappointed we only did it a handful of times. We need intentional shots downfield even if they don't connect. Especially if we're going to do #2 and keep Herndon and Njoku in the game together, we need to keep defenses with 2-high Safeties as much as possible. It's the only way we'll run effectively with our current OL and RB combinations. Whenever we get a RB who can get YAC or a mauling OL, I'll concede these intentional stretches of the defense will matter less. I'd still say they're extremely important in modern football. Richards is our best bet outside. That's our guy. Play Mullins if you have to and send him on just 3 routes (go, stop, out). Coley is a vertical threat out of the slot. Njoku is a vertical threat from both the TE position (especially) and sometimes out of the slot (against a LB).

5. Don't try to do all of it

I'm all for flexibility, but throwing crap at the wall makes things worse. When we went Coker-T and I-Form late in the game, it was troubling. When we immediately switched back to 4WR and trips, it was maddening. Because we switched out on the very subsequent plays. To me, that indicated a little bit of desperation. If you're going to be desperate, be radical downfield, I think. This is the inverse of our experiences with D'Onofrio. I'm not saying Coach Richt is D'Onofrio. That's unfair. I'm comparing doing too many things and then reverting to the most conservative route when the chips are down. I propose the opposite, like I did with defense. Do a handful of things - 11 Personnel (Shotgun), 12 Personnel (Herndon utility) - really well and, when the chips are down, go out swinging.

Like I said in another post, we shall find out a heck of a lot in the next 11 days. May we be on the right side of the brawl. And, by that, I mean do whatever we decide aggressively and assertively.

*By the way, I know it's not the NFL, but their league average off of 21 personnel (2 backs talked about) is somewhere around 13% plays called. Anyone want to take a guess why? So, yeah.

Good **** lu! I agree with most of this assessment.a lot of it is already in play but has yet been utilized. Hopefully this week well see a lot more of this actually called. On the rpo my problem is in most instances the running back simply plays it like a draw where with how our offense lines up were better off to go off tackle or like an option & take it wide. Our relievers are all very good blockers. We need to utilize that far more often as that's been an unexpected twist. We're just all sortve still in a feeling out phase. This week well see a lot more plays & formations that will make people happy but until everyone's on the same page how much can we realistically expect in terms of results. Lastly in terms of desperation I think you're looking at it the wrong way. A big thing with richt is utilizing match ups. However it's a big difference lining up with our d opposed to the team on the other side of us. Just have a Lil faith & give him some time

I've heard that a lot, man, but I just watch what he does. It's hard to avoid the fact our best matchups were Njoku, Herndon and Coley vertical. We saw a bit of it from Coley out of the slot. We used the other guys as decoys. That would be my biggest question to you: why did we relegate Herndon and Njoku to decoy status or outside the hashes? If you've watched any practice, you know they've done more with them.

We also should have used Walton in the flats more. If you're a coach obsessed with matchups, you don't go away from that stuff in such a critical game. I'm just not sure why Coach Richt seemingly went into a shell. And, as we got more in trouble, the deeper he went toward "stability" (tighter formations bringing more into the box).

Last edited:
I hate that I'm thinking this but CMR might be past his prime as a play caller and strategist; what we've seen these first 5 games were awful playcalling

[MENTION=5124]Coach Macho[/MENTION]

Me and you are on the exact same page.

Richt already said Kaaya will be able to check in and out of plays so I don't see all of the bad decision making being on Richt.

Furthermore, Kaaya is shell shocked or just slow. He made terrible decisions on those Rpos too many times Saturday.

Like [MENTION=2023]FrancisSaywer[/MENTION] said and I've been expressing, Richt is too smart and been around too long for this and I refuse to believe he doesn't look at film and see the weaknesses because I called out PRECISELY how he would attack app state and he did just THAT. When they adjusted, we adjusted. It was the beautiful coaching we've lacked for years and we saw it in that very game so WHAT HAS HAPPENED since then?

Richt concussed?

I don't know but there is a serious disconnect between Richt, kaaya, and the o-line.

If I'm a coach, how can I trust my qb, operating with a subpar o-line, when he is dumb enough to look dead at a disadvantage in a presnap read and STILL make the bad decision?

I really can't wait for this UNC game. Questions will be answered.

I think your second to the last sentence pretty much sums it up.

Advertisement
Back