My Proposal for our Offense

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
Ok, so I started to look back at the game a bit. It makes me want to vomit a bit, but whatever. Time to move on.

Let's start with the fact that Richt has openly said he wants to run the ball more out of traditional sets (2 backs) and take that to mean he wants less reliance on RPO.

1. Stop using our TEs as decoys

Against FSU, we used our TEs as pawns to move LBs around, keep them shallow, and either open up in breaking routes behind them for Coley and Richards (and Berrios attempts, more than on that later), or clear out routes underneath them.

I submit that Chris Herndon and David Njoku will both have NFL careers. I've said Njoku reminds me of a taller Delanie Walker. I've said Herndon reminds me of Fred Baxter, the former Jets TE/H-Back who was used as a random utility guy in the 90s.

First, let's state that FSU's TEs had 7 catches for 137 yards against UNC. So for this next game, it's potentially there if we want it. But, bigger picture, let's use Njoku's talents beating teams vertically. Against FSU, most of what both Njoku and Herndon were asked to do went toward the sideline. I mentioned that, if I'm playing Nickel or Safety against a bigger dude, I most definitely want him trying to run away from me toward the sideline because I know I can close and get between him and the ball. What I don't want is a bigger dude going vertical where he can essentially box me out. Why we didn't do that against FSU is beyond my understanding, but I propose we move in that direction.

2. Herndon in the backfield

Above, I mention that Herndon's comparison is a utility guy like Fred Baxter. In the Spring, we saw him used in the H-back and in motion. If Richt really wants to move back to more traditional sets in the run game, then Herndon is a better option than Marquez Williams and allows our offense to remain flexible. Have him come across formations on counter plays. Have him in the broken-I and in motion. Have him running simple circle routes that are EASY reads for Kaaya and require little time from our OL (think Najeh Davenport).

Essentially, while Richt wants to revert to "his style" of running the ball instead of over reliance on RPOs, we can compromise. I'm sure everyone loves Marquez Williams and he can help us in 6-8 plays a game, but he is NOT the answer to our troubles against anything but lesser teams. His presence invites more guys to fly down into the box. When we ran Coker-T in the 4th, I nearly lost my mind. It should not be our staple. We have an accurate passer who needs space, windows and some time. Clear defenders OUT rather than bring them in tighter.

3. RPO as a topping instead of the base

There is a time and place for RPO. Please, please look at RPO threads and realize it's a run/pass option and not a zone-read where Kaaya is expected to run. Looking back at the game, we actually ran the pass part more successfully than I remembered. Richards caught quick slants. Coley caught passes. We didn't even really bubble out much out of it. Kaaya should have actually elected the "P" more than he did the "R" in the RPO. It's still going to be used and it should, but let's use it with timing and to create leverage instead of our bread and butter.

4. We need vertical shots down field

I said this on the podcast and was mostly disappointed we only did it a handful of times. We need intentional shots downfield even if they don't connect. Especially if we're going to do #2 and keep Herndon and Njoku in the game together, we need to keep defenses with 2-high Safeties as much as possible. It's the only way we'll run effectively with our current OL and RB combinations. Whenever we get a RB who can get YAC or a mauling OL, I'll concede these intentional stretches of the defense will matter less. I'd still say they're extremely important in modern football. Richards is our best bet outside. That's our guy. Play Mullins if you have to and send him on just 3 routes (go, stop, out). Coley is a vertical threat out of the slot. Njoku is a vertical threat from both the TE position (especially) and sometimes out of the slot (against a LB).

5. Don't try to do all of it

I'm all for flexibility, but throwing crap at the wall makes things worse. When we went Coker-T and I-Form late in the game, it was troubling. When we immediately switched back to 4WR and trips, it was maddening. Because we switched out on the very subsequent plays. To me, that indicated a little bit of desperation. If you're going to be desperate, be radical downfield, I think. This is the inverse of our experiences with D'Onofrio. I'm not saying Coach Richt is D'Onofrio. That's unfair. I'm comparing doing too many things and then reverting to the most conservative route when the chips are down. I propose the opposite, like I did with defense. Do a handful of things - 11 Personnel (Shotgun), 12 Personnel (Herndon utility) - really well and, when the chips are down, go out swinging.

Like I said in another post, we shall find out a heck of a lot in the next 11 days. May we be on the right side of the brawl. And, by that, I mean do whatever we decide aggressively and assertively.

*By the way, I know it's not the NFL, but their league average off of 21 personnel (2 backs talked about) is somewhere around 13% plays called. Anyone want to take a guess why? So, yeah.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I've been calling for TE use since the beginning of the season....the WR core is below average with everybody not named Stacy and Ahmmon having bricks for hands and severely lacks speed to separate. We need to use our TE's the way New England used Gronk and Aaron Hernandez

Last edited:
You're right about using our TE's as decoys. I saw us use our TE's a couple times to get other (2nd level) routes open.

Example: TE ran a bubble which opened up the in-breaking route for Coley's (somewhat) long catch.

I'm gonna play devil's advocate though. Perhaps it was the throws that we made to the TE's in the previous 3 games that allowed us to open up the field for Coley/Richards against FSU.

We've thrown bubbles to our TE's many times this season for 8+ yards a pop. FSU knows this I'm sure, so their curl/flat defender was hauling a$$ to cover that bubble, which opened up things inside for Coley/Richards.

'First off great post Lu.

Crossing patterns. Slants. Seam routes. RB Screens. Digs.

We didn't get any of these things from Coley and I was really hoping that would change with the new regime. The short and intermediate middle portion of the field is being flat out IGNORED.

We ran three slants (all 3 had positive results) and 1 RB screen ALL GAME. If someone saw a crossing pattern please point me in the right direction because I didn't see one. Add seam routes and intermediate digs to that list as well. All of these help beat man to man defense, which FSU was playing and not even trying to disguise yet we chose to basically play into their hands. I still can't comprehend how we went away from what helped us put together one of our only successful drives of the night.

My biggest gripe with what I saw on Saturday was the timing/use of the bubble screens. I mean, isn't it common elementary football knowledge that if you don't have numbers (i.e. both receivers to that side of the field have defenders directly in front of them with a safety over the top) you should check out of the play? There was at least 2 or 3 flat out WASTED downs where we ran the bubble right into defensive numbers.

The play calling on Saturday was absolutely sickening and may end up costing us the coastal since that away game at VT suddenly looks a lot more daunting.

Last edited:
Lu-question do you think Richt is reluctant to go down field Bc of the oline issues ? He talked this spring about getting the ball out quick.

Advertisement
You're right about using our TE's as decoys. I saw us use our TE's a couple times to get other (2nd level) routes open.

Example: TE ran a bubble which opened up the in-breaking route for Coley's (somewhat) long catch.

I'm gonna play devil's advocate though. Perhaps it was the throws that we made to the TE's in the previous 3 games that allowed us to open up the field for Coley/Richards against FSU.

We've thrown bubbles to our TE's many times this season for 8+ yards a pop. FSU knows this I'm sure, so their curl/flat defender was hauling a$$ to cover that bubble, which opened up things inside for Coley/Richards.

They were, in fact, hauling *** toward our TEs and often bracketing Njoku. But, they can't bracket and press both of them without:

1. One of them having a real chance to get down the seam
2. Playing 2-deep consistently, which would open up the run and flats

We just never seemed to really take our shot with #1 . If you told me FSU stayed in 2-high the entire game, I'd better understand. But, they periodically brought down a S late. They were ripe. It just didn't work out and going outside the hashes is a typically lower %.

We didn't get any of these things from Coley and I was really hoping that would change with the new regime. The short and intermediate middle portion of the field is being flat out IGNORED.

We ran three slants (all 3 had positive results) and 1 RB screen ALL GAME. If someone saw a crossing pattern please point me in the right direction because I didn't see one. Add seam routes and intermediate digs to that list as well. All of these help beat man to man defense, which FSU was playing and not even trying to disguise yet we chose to basically play into their hands.

My biggest gripe with what I saw on Saturday was the timing/use of the bubble screens. I mean, isn't it common elementary football knowledge that if you don't have numbers (i.e. both receivers to that side of the field have defenders directly in front of them with a safety over the top) you should check out of the play? There was at least 2 or 3 flat out WASTED downs where we ran the bubble right into defensive numbers.

The play calling on Saturday was absolutely sickening and may end up costing us the coastal since that away game at VT suddenly looks a lot more daunting.

The failed bubbles are on Kaaya though. Those are his reads.

I'm just gonna play devil's advocate again (for Richt)...

What if Kaaya isn't ready for Richt's whole offense? I mean, I've seen Kaaya make some poor reads occasionally on RPO plays.

Lu-question do you think Richt is reluctant to go down field Bc of the oline issues ? He talked this spring about getting the ball out quick.

Probably. But, again, you shouldn't need a perfectly clean pocket and 5 seconds to go downfield. There are QBs and route combinations that are 3 and 5 step drop plays. There are plays available where we can protect our OL and still go vertical. The best proof I can offer is we played Mcdermott at LT last year. Seriously, our OL was in worse shape last year and we still went 4-vert a disproportionate and almost dumb amount of the time. If we could do it with last year's OL, we can't at least sprinkle it in with this year's group?

They were, in fact, hauling *** toward our TEs and often bracketing Njoku. But, they can't bracket and press both of them without:

1. One of them having a real chance to get down the seam
2. Playing 2-deep consistently, which would open up the run and flats

We just never seemed to really take our shot with #1 . If you told me FSU stayed in 2-high the entire game, I'd better understand. But, they periodically brought down a S late. They were ripe. It just didn't work out and going outside the hashes is a typically lower %.

Agree.

Advertisement

We ran three slants (all 3 had positive results) and 1 RB screen ALL GAME. If someone saw a crossing pattern please point me in the right direction because I didn't see one. Add seam routes and intermediate digs to that list as well. All of these help beat man to man defense, which FSU was playing and not even trying to disguise yet we chose to basically play into their hands. I still can't comprehend how we went away from what helped us put together one of our only successful drives of the night.

I was about to say all this until i read your post good sh¡t, though depending on how we play UNC is how i will measure that VT game

We ran three slants (all 3 had positive results) and 1 RB screen ALL GAME. If someone saw a crossing pattern please point me in the right direction because I didn't see one. Add seam routes and intermediate digs to that list as well. All of these help beat man to man defense, which FSU was playing and not even trying to disguise yet we chose to basically play into their hands.

The failed bubbles are on Kaaya though. Those are his reads.

I'm just gonna play devil's advocate again (for Richt)...

What if Kaaya isn't ready for Richt's whole offense? I mean, I've seen Kaaya make some poor reads occasionally on RPO plays.

Well then that leads to another question I have ....is it just me or did it appear Richt didn't allow Kaaya to audible at the LOS?

I hear what you're saying but if Richt was restricting Kaaya's ability to audible then those failed bubbles point right back to him since he should have chosen to go a different direction with the play calls.

But either way...a bubble isn't the most efficient way to beat man to man. In all honesty they shouldn't have been a big part of the gameplan for Saturday to begin with. The play calling and game planning was an abomination.

Yea. I just re-watched the game at home, after being there. It was not as bad as all the mopers make it out to be. Certainly some things were troubling to me....and that set of downs after Waltons called back TD... I did not get why we just didn't line up 1 time and try to chuck it downfield and go vertical. If Richt wants more traditional pro style...that is what you go for. We just folded and cashed our chips in.

*By the way, I know it's not the NFL, but their league average off of 21 personnel (2 backs talked about) is somewhere around 13% plays called.

Advertisement
One of my main concerns of richts system was his lack of use of TEs in his system and his lack of throwing balls deep, i watched a lot of UGA games and barely saw that, i assumed it had to do with the personnel he had but we are seeing it here with the personnel for it, im hoping it was a bad game but so far it aint looking like it

Yea. I just re-watched the game at home, after being there. It was not as bad as all the mopers make it out to be. Certainly some things were troubling to me....and that set of downs after Waltons called back TD... I did not get why we just didn't line up 1 time and try to chuck it downfield and go vertical. If Richt wants more traditional pro style...that is what you go for. We just folded and cashed our chips in.

I feel the same after watching it, also saw the calls and no calls too which ****ed me off more but thats a whole other story, richt needs to do all the things lu and jedi are saying

I feel the same after watching it, also saw the calls and no calls too which ****ed me off more but thats a whole other story, richt needs to do all the things lu and jedi are saying

Indeed. First and foremost.. BEAT UNC. This is the time we have typically folded up shop after giving everything against the CrimiNoles under Folden. We did learn a lot about this team last Saturday, but let's see how we roll from here on out. We all knew that October was a tough stretch with a heavy slate of games.

Advertisement

Indeed. First and foremost.. BEAT UNC. This is the time we have typically folded up shop after giving everything against the CrimiNoles under Folden. We did learn a lot about this team last Saturday, but let's see how we roll from here on out. We all knew that October was a tough stretch with a heavy slate of games.

I can only speak for myself here...but I'll tell you what I took away from this past Saturday. As of right now:

- Manny Diaz is doing more with less
- Mark Richt, the OC, is doing less with more

Coley was OC, Kaaya was QB, we sucked.

Richt is OC, Kaaya is QB, offense still sucks.

Get Golden's **** out of your ear and Shalala's juice out of your eyes and realize our offense is underperforming and has been for years.

Over-*******-rated

Coley was OC, Kaaya was QB, we sucked.

Richt is OC, Kaaya is QB, offense still sucks.

Get Golden's **** out of your ear and Shalala's juice out of your eyes and realize our offense is underperforming and has been for years.

Over-*******-rated

The common thread there is that both play callers are not good play callers. It can't be understated how important it is in the modern game to have a good offensive system in place. The players names change every year as guys come and go....but the biggest problem we've had here not for the last TWO YEARS, but rather for the last TEN PLUS YEARS, is that we've had absolute dog **** in terms of offensive play callers.

Advertisement
Back