My Proposal for our Offense

Advertisement
I was really excited to see our tight ends chewing up yards in this game.

I was then puked out with the sorriest play calling sequences I've seen in a long, long time.

Seemed like almost every offensive play was called by the FSU defense.

Richt needs to come to Jesus, and if he can't call plays - and take what's there - then hire a high dollar offensive coordinator.

This SEC mindset crap just sucks.

I was really excited to see our tight ends chewing up yards in this game.

I was then puked out with the sorriest play calling sequences I've seen in a long, long time.

Seemed like almost every offensive play was called by the FSU defense.

Richt needs to come to Jesus, and if he can't call plays - and take what's there - then hire a high dollar offensive coordinator.

This SEC mindset crap just sucks.

Agree with you 100%. The thing that still baffles me and that I find disturbing is why Richt never took advantage of FSUs well documented weaknesses. Stacked receivers, crossing routes, spreading the field, tempo and using our freakish TEs down the seams are things that FSU had no chance of stopping at least not for 4 quarters. Every team that has ripped the Seminole defense apart did it using some combination of the above concepts.

We have the personnel for it and Richt must have seen that on film. He has been successfully coaching big time college football for well over 2 decades specializing in offense so there is no way in picking **** he wasn't fully aware of this going into the game. Richt isn't perfect but he is far from stupid so there must have been a solid valid reason(at least to himself) for tightening up our sets and deemphasising the passing game thus playing into FSUs strength instead of attacking their weaknesses.

Was it because Kaaya hurt his shoulder on the first play? Was it also because Kaaya was borderline concussed? Was it because he didn't trust him after that terrible INT in the end zone? Is it because our OL was that terrible? I have yet to hear a good solid theory on this because I refuse to believe that Richt is so stupid as to actually have come into the game with what we saw as his game plan.

Advertisement
[MENTION=3]LuCane[/MENTION]
I truly expected to see Richt running more 3-4 WR sets and spreading teams out that way. Coley and Richards are **** near un-coverable running quick slants and those routes need to be used more. I was very disappointed in the play-calling Saturday and for much of the season but feel Richt needs time to build with his own guys.

I'm sure you've touched on this already but how much do you think the state of our OL is hampering the play-calling?

Great to have you back talking football.

i'm sorry, we ran zone read . . . i know atleast three times kaaya rode the hand off watching the defensive end, not the linebacker . . . he's just not mobile enough to be a threat in that scheme

I have to think that it must be just as obvious to the O coaches as it is to us as they watch the film...so...I expect yuge changes this Saturday or the good will will evaporate very quickly.

Advertisement
'First off great post Lu.

Crossing patterns. Slants. Seam routes. RB Screens. Digs.

We didn't get any of these things from Coley and I was really hoping that would change with the new regime. The short and intermediate middle portion of the field is being flat out IGNORED.

We ran three slants (all 3 had positive results) and 1 RB screen ALL GAME. If someone saw a crossing pattern please point me in the right direction because I didn't see one. Add seam routes and intermediate digs to that list as well. All of these help beat man to man defense, which FSU was playing and not even trying to disguise yet we chose to basically play into their hands.

My biggest gripe with what I saw on Saturday was the timing/use of the bubble screens. I mean, isn't it common elementary football knowledge that if you don't have numbers (i.e. both receivers to that side of the field have defenders directly in front of them with a safety over the top) you should check out of the play? There was at least 2 or 3 flat out WASTED downs where we ran the bubble right into defensive numbers.

The play calling on Saturday was absolutely sickening and may end up costing us the coastal since that away game at VT suddenly looks a lot more daunting.

The failed bubbles are on Kaaya though. Those are his reads.

I'm just gonna play devil's advocate again (for Richt)...

What if Kaaya isn't ready for Richt's whole offense? I mean, I've seen Kaaya make some poor reads occasionally on RPO plays.

Well then that leads to another question I have ....is it just me or did it appear Richt didn't allow Kaaya to audible at the LOS?

I hear what you're saying but if Richt was restricting Kaaya's ability to audible then those failed bubbles point right back to him since he should have chosen to go a different direction with the play calls.

But either way...a bubble isn't the most efficient way to beat man to man. In all honesty they shouldn't have been a big part of the gameplan for Saturday to begin with. The play calling and game planning was an abomination.

Well our bubbles are attached to run plays, so it becomes Kaaya's job to read the coverage/leverage and decide whether to hand it off to the RB or throw the bubble. That in itself is Richt giving Kaaya the freedom to make decisions.

Honestly I think the real issue is that the RPO/bubble approach was wrong for this game. It appears that FSU was playing a lot of single-high coverage. The RPO/bubble game is the wrong way to attack single-high coverage IMO. We should've adjusted to a different approach.

Great post - always great insights!

I was also confused and disappointed that TE's weren't used more often and over the middle of the field. Don't get it at all.

[MENTION=3]LuCane[/MENTION]

What are seeing in the running game that can be improved from and X and O's perspective?

I'm firmly in the belief that our depth chart is wrong and should be Gus-Yearby-Walton (I do realize very few agree with me on this, and I don't think any of them are "studs"). But that's just from a getting the most talented players the ball perspective, not X and O's.

vs. FSU 2015: 19 carries, 20 yds
vs. FSU 2016: 28 carries, 62 yds

OL, RB's are a year older, coaching is better, FSU D is weaker, yet results are still awful. I personally think too much blame & analysis on the passing game, and not enough on the running game.

Anything you're seeing here?

Ok so I just re-watched the 2nd half. I'm not seeing a ton of single-high but what I am seeing is our O-line get their a$$es kicked. I also saw one drive get stalled cause Kaaya through a ball in the dirt to Coley on 3rd down. Another drive stalled cause we threw a pick in the endzone. And another drive stalled cause we got a holding call on Walton's big TD run and then proceed to run twice in a row on 1st & 20. (making it 3rd & 15) We also squandered another drive by getting Kaaya sacked twice in a row.

We have OL issues.

Kaaya is shook behind this line. Even when he does get time, he's not comfortable back there and panics if his first read is covered. Also, I can't see any way we'll be effective offensively out of the I.

Advertisement
The sad part is that pedestrian *** game plan would have worked had the players executed. Penalties and dropped passes hurt easily as bad as the int. Richt let Diaz come in and go ******* buck wild with the D, he needs to do the same with the offense. Is he making them think to much instead of just letting them play?

*By the way, I know it's not the NFL, but their league average off of 21 personnel (2 backs talked about) is somewhere around 13% plays called.

And yet it appears Richt wants to make it a staple of our offense.

Troubling moving forward considering SFla is the richest skill position area in the nation

Advertisement
'First off great post Lu.

Crossing patterns. Slants. Seam routes. RB Screens. Digs.

We didn't get any of these things from Coley and I was really hoping that would change with the new regime. The short and intermediate middle portion of the field is being flat out IGNORED.

We ran three slants (all 3 had positive results) and 1 RB screen ALL GAME. If someone saw a crossing pattern please point me in the right direction because I didn't see one. Add seam routes and intermediate digs to that list as well. All of these help beat man to man defense, which FSU was playing and not even trying to disguise yet we chose to basically play into their hands.

My biggest gripe with what I saw on Saturday was the timing/use of the bubble screens. I mean, isn't it common elementary football knowledge that if you don't have numbers (i.e. both receivers to that side of the field have defenders directly in front of them with a safety over the top) you should check out of the play? There was at least 2 or 3 flat out WASTED downs where we ran the bubble right into defensive numbers.

The play calling on Saturday was absolutely sickening and may end up costing us the coastal since that away game at VT suddenly looks a lot more daunting.

The failed bubbles are on Kaaya though. Those are his reads.

I'm just gonna play devil's advocate again (for Richt)...

What if Kaaya isn't ready for Richt's whole offense? I mean, I've seen Kaaya make some poor reads occasionally on RPO plays.

Well then that leads to another question I have ....is it just me or did it appear Richt didn't allow Kaaya to audible at the LOS?

I hear what you're saying but if Richt was restricting Kaaya's ability to audible then those failed bubbles point right back to him since he should have chosen to go a different direction with the play calls.

But either way...a bubble isn't the most efficient way to beat man to man. In all honesty they shouldn't have been a big part of the gameplan for Saturday to begin with. The play calling and game planning was an abomination.

Well our bubbles are attached to run plays, so it becomes Kaaya's job to read the coverage/leverage and decide whether to hand it off to the RB or throw the bubble. That in itself is Richt giving Kaaya the freedom to make decisions.

Honestly I think the real issue is that the RPO/bubble approach was wrong for this game. It appears that FSU was playing a lot of single-high coverage. The RPO/bubble game is the wrong way to attack single-high coverage IMO. We should've adjusted to a different approach.

I agree 100% with your last couple of sentences....it's what many of us have been complaining about since Saturday. The gameplan itself and the subsequent adjustments, or lack thereof, were simply horrible. Even worse when you consider the amount of experience Mark Richt has.

Thoroughly disappointing I think is the only way to truly describe it.

[MENTION=5124]Coach Macho[/MENTION]

Me and you are on the exact same page.

Richt already said Kaaya will be able to check in and out of plays so I don't see all of the bad decision making being on Richt.

Furthermore, Kaaya is shell shocked or just slow. He made terrible decisions on those Rpos too many times Saturday.

Like [MENTION=2023]FrancisSaywer[/MENTION] said and I've been expressing, Richt is too smart and been around too long for this and I refuse to believe he doesn't look at film and see the weaknesses because I called out PRECISELY how he would attack app state and he did just THAT. When they adjusted, we adjusted. It was the beautiful coaching we've lacked for years and we saw it in that very game so WHAT HAS HAPPENED since then?

Richt concussed?

I don't know but there is a serious disconnect between Richt, kaaya, and the o-line.

If I'm a coach, how can I trust my qb, operating with a subpar o-line, when he is dumb enough to look dead at a disadvantage in a presnap read and STILL make the bad decision?

I really can't wait for this UNC game. Questions will be answered.

Advertisement
Back