My Post Game recap

I really like the way Lingard runs the football I hope he get a few more touches..hall and Carter will be a hard hitting safety duo they gonna hurt somebody out there

Advertisement
Just got home and I'm watching the game off my DVR. I think 1st drive of the game is very telling why some things went down. JT4 was winded on 2nd play of the game. Looked to me like he came into the game sick or dehydrated. Will be interesting to hear what news comes of it. Also, Malik looked like he was just going thru the motions while he was on the field. During the first drive, on 2nd down, an RPO was called but instead of handing the ball to Homer for what looks like would've been a 50+ yard TD, he keeps it for no gain. Then, 2 plays later on the 4th down call, he calls a QB sneak and didn't even look like he was trying. This is what kills me about this kid. When he's missing or off, it's ugly. Real ugly. No emotion. Disinterested. Seems like at times he plays with a lack of effort or enthusiasm. To be honest, it kinda reminds me of Jay Cutler. These actions can and will kill a team, especially when it comes from the QB position.

By the way, saw the hold on the 80-yard punt return by JT4. They caught #1 Nesta with the hold around the 50.

Its weird in the gameday thread after his first run I saw him like he was hurting like it was a hammy and Imentioned it......a few plays afterward he was done.
Could be cramp from dehydration.

At FSU, there would be more possibilities: could also be a menstrual cramp.

Just rewatched that wheel route he threw to Cam'ron Davis, if he put just a little more air under it Cam walks in the end zone.

I'd like to see us bring that play back with Deejay, or even have JT4/Pope do it out of the backfield, that's a mismatch no Defense could cover.

Advertisement
I loved the soft throw td to jordan. We havent had a qb who can throw a touch pass in a while, and for perry to be able to throw that ball as well as a tight spiral rope ... finally we have someone who can actually use the whole field.

Just rewatched that wheel route he threw to Cam'ron Davis, if he put just a little more air under it Cam walks in the end zone.

I'd like to see us bring that play back with Deejay, or even have JT4/Pope do it out of the backfield, that's a mismatch no Defense could cover.

Think about this. He was throwing a wheel route to our 5th string running back. Just get down the timing of it. I was impressed with Davis. He is a going to be a very nice complimentary back in our system.

I'm sitting there watching a set with Wiggins, Pope, Harley, and Mallory. Another with Njoku who almost made an incredible catch. Hightower was just pancaking corners. Ezzard got some burn and a nice catch. And then there is Jordan. This offense is going to be insane.

Maybe the timing of the reverse was ill advised in the red zone, but I like they're getting creative in trying to get Pope touches.

Really hope they start utilizing him more. Can't keep that speed off the field

Think about this. He was throwing a wheel route to our 5th string running back. Just get down the timing of it. I was impressed with Davis. He is a going to be a very nice complimentary back in our system.

I'm sitting there watching a set with Wiggins, Pope, Harley, and Mallory. Another with Njoku who almost made an incredible catch. Hightower was just pancaking corners. Ezzard got some burn and a nice catch. And then there is Jordan. This offense is going to be insane.

That throw and catch to Njoku was almost a thing of beauty. N’Kosi placed it in a high spot where the only possible catch was a high point snatch by baby Njoku which he effectively stabbed out of the air, but alas then didn’t hold on when he hit the ground.

Also, “N’Kosi to Njoku for the TD” just sounds cool.

Advertisement
Great summary, LCE. Agree on almost everything. Just in relation to the QB play:

Perry's pick probably bothered me a little more only because I had visions of that possibly happening against better competition where he faces more pressure and HAS to make good decisions but at the end of the day it was the kid's first real game and there's certainly no problematic pattern yet.

One thing I absolutely loved with Perry in there was what appeared to my (highly inebriated) eyes to be much less of a focus on the sideline fade type of pass game. We were actually attacking all parts of the field in the air without a hesitation in allowing the kid to zip it down the middle of the field. One would think this would be better news for our TEs too- a group that Rosier has failed to utilize anywhere near as much as he should/could.

Great summary, LCE. Agree on almost everything. Just in relation to the QB play:

Perry's pick probably bothered me a little more only because I had visions of that possibly happening against better competition where he faces more pressure and HAS to make good decisions but at the end of the day it was the kid's first real game and there's certainly no problematic pattern yet.

One thing I absolutely loved with Perry in there was what appeared to my (highly inebriated) eyes to be much less of a focus on the sideline fade type of pass game. We were actually attacking all parts of the field in the air without a hesitation in allowing the kid to zip it down the middle of the field. One would think this would be better news for our TEs too- a group that Rosier has failed to utilize anywhere near as much as he should/could.
Agreed.

Due to Perry's natural arm talent we can work the middle of the field a lot easier because he throws with the velocity needed to hit guys in stride & throw players open.

Small sample size, but the difference I see between the Offense with Perry at the helm is the intermediate passing game will be more heavily involved with how we move the ball down the field. With Rosier, it seemed like he had to hit on the Deep ball or else we would struggle in the passing game.

What will be interesting to see is how we utilize the Play Action game now, I'm telling yall man I can't wait til I see the QB stick the ball in the RB's chest making that Safety get caught with his eyes stuck in the backfield only for the QB to pull it & rip it to JT4/Ahmmon/Harley/Pope running right past'em straight into the end zone.

Last edited:
That throw and catch to Njoku was almost a thing of beauty. N’Kosi placed it in a high spot where the only possible catch was a high point snatch by baby Njoku which he effectively stabbed out of the air, but alas then didn’t hold on when he hit the ground.

Also, “N’Kosi to Njoku for the TD” just sounds cool.
Your right it was perfect back shoulder fade. Cager would've caught held onto it imo.

Hopefully Joku keeps working at it though, he'll be scary in the Red zone once he learns to become more physical.

Your right it was perfect back shoulder fade. Cager would've caught held onto it imo.

Hopefully Joku keeps working at it though, he'll be scary in the Red zone once he learns to become more physical.

Quite possibly because Cager is visibly stronger....although Njoku is taller and I’m guessing can get up a few more inches than Cager.

Advertisement
Agreed.

Due to Perry's natural arm talent we can work the middle of the field a lot easier because he throws with the velocity needed to hit guys in stride & throw players open.

Small sample size, but the difference I see between the Offense with Perry at the helm is the intermediate passing game will be more heavily involved with how we move the ball down the field. With Rosier, it seemed like he had to hit on the Deep ball or else we would struggle in the passing game.

What will be interesting to see is how we utilize the Play Action game now, I'm telling yall man I can't wait til I see the QB stick the ball in the RB's chest making that Safety get caught with his eyes stuck in the backfield only for the QB to pull it & rip it to JT4/Ahmmon/Harley/Pope running right past'em straight into the end zone.
one thing that is not discussed much is QB height. Among other reasons, Rosier cannot throw in the middle of the field because IMO he can't see over the OL/DL. Perry doesn't have that restriction because he can see over the line. big difference!

The last number 4 we had who used to get dehydrated a lot was pretty good too.

Perry can do a lot of things that Rosier just can’t. Suddenly you heard about all of our “weapons.” Perry was giving them a chance to make plays. The early throw to Brevin where he basically led him for an easy first down on a screen was fantastic. Small detail that matters a lot.

Advertisement
That was my immediate thought! Although if he threw it further it was a TD.

I hope we're capable of making a statement game. We have a really good team with lots of stud players, but we seem to be lacking the ability to make it all gel at the right times.
Perhaps play calling and execution?

Plain & simple; the players respond to Kosi & he was very engaging to all his teammates. That was my biggest take away.

This. It was great to watch Kosi talking up the OL and receivers after every series. Much preferred to Malik's 1,000 mile stare and sitting by himself.

Advertisement
Back