My Post Game recap

Loved what I saw until it got sloppy in the end. Also, I think it’s important to remember that Hartley bailed out Perry twice early on. The actual throws by Perry were good but horrible decisions to throw into coverage. One should have definitely been an interception. Still, he needs to go through his growing pains early so he can ball out later.

Advertisement
The only thing I didn't like about it was he had another WR in the same area, if he hits that guy we get the 1st down & keep driving. Instead he made an errant throw on the run, but I don't hold it against him too heavy as of now because it's basically his first real game. But going forward he can't do that. I kill Rosier for bad turnovers, Perry will be no different, the QB's must protect the ball.

With more prep as a potential full time starter he's going to have to drill it in his mind either run or throw it away. He was an accurate QB in HS because of his decision making, but now with the weapons we got he needs to know he doesn't have to do it all by himself.

Other than that, he looked really good. Very accurate & has a nice arm, especially once he gets the look he wants from the Defense he gets on target & makes laser throws.

I agree. Just like to throw a little humor in at times

The only thing I didn't like about it was he had another WR in the same area, if he hits that guy we get the 1st down & keep driving. Instead he made an errant throw on the run, but I don't hold it against him too heavy as of now because it's basically his first real game. But going forward he can't do that. I kill Rosier for bad turnovers, Perry will be no different, the QB's must protect the ball.

With more prep as a potential full time starter he's going to have to drill it in his mind either run or throw it away. He was an accurate QB in HS because of his decision making, but now with the weapons we got he needs to know he doesn't have to do it all by himself.

Other than that, he looked really good. Very accurate & has a nice arm, especially once he gets the look he wants from the Defense he gets on target & makes laser throws.
Richt didn’t flip his lid. He just put his arm around Perry and laid some coaching on the kid. Something like, it’s better to throw that one away or just take the sack.

Good teachable moment for a young kid.

Advertisement
Richt didn’t flip his lid. He just put his arm around Perry and laid some coaching on the kid. Something like, it’s better to throw that one away or just take the sack.

Good teachable moment for a young kid.
Yeah that was good. His head was in the right place seeing Hightower but didn't set his feet & launch it, got too greedy on that play imo.

Also on the missed TD to Pope on the Post route, he had Harley underneath but was going for the prize.

It's a short week, so Richt probably won't start Perry vs UNC especially since Rosier hasn't really done anything to lose his job just yet, but I really hope Perry gets at least half the 1st reps in case we start slow again this year vs UNC.

I also think we should look at some Read option runs for Perry, I think he's better running outside the pocket rather than the inside pocket draw runs we usually see from Rosier. The two of them are different style runners.

Perry looks good. Dline looked like a Butch Davis dline. Everything was fine except we failed to drive the nails in when we had the chance and then that horrible crap giving up scores at the end.

Advertisement
Al Golden’s shackles are finally coming off. I can live with this. Imagine having a full roster with depth in the near future, and the new blood we saw on display today, I can find patience within me for all this to come together.

Yeah that was good. His head was in the right place seeing Hightower but didn't set his feet & launch it, got too greedy on that play imo.

Also on the missed TD to Pope on the Post route, he had Harley underneath but was going for the prize.

It's a short week, so Richt probably won't start Perry vs UNC especially since Rosier hasn't really done anything to lose his job just yet, but I really hope Perry gets at least half the 1st reps in case we start slow again this year vs UNC.

I also think we should look at some Read option runs for Perry, I think he's better running outside the pocket rather than the inside pocket draw runs we usually see from Rosier. The two of them are different style runners.

I guess starting Rosier with the hook ready is not a bad idea. Heck, Rosier might respond very well to Perry looking so good and play his best game. If not Perry looks like he will be fine.

Advertisement
early on in his development, I dont mind Perry just tucking and running to get the chains moving. Play a bit of sandlot ball, if you will. Sometimes you just have to let players play

Advertisement

Well said. Your overall game review was spot on too. As critical as Ive been about Row-sher the QB, Row-sher the runner has been legit. I'd like to see some designed runs for Perry as well.

Perry earned more reps today. Like you said, Rosier did nothing to lose his job, but Perry has talent that we can no longer keep off the field now that he’s shown he can function and be trusted. He definitely needs minutes vs UNC.

I did see one misread on a zone read today. Dallas would have scored untouched, but Perry kept the ball for a short gain. We scored two plays later though.

early on in his development, I dont mind Perry just tucking and running to get the chains moving. Play a bit of sandlot ball, if you will. Sometimes you just have to let players play
Whenever Perry does get his chance to start, I hope we really really work the PA Quick slant more into this offense, especially going tempo after a nice run from Homer/Deejay.

This play here.

Perry has the accuracy & delivers strikes to hit the guy in stride, we run that play with JT4, Harley or Ahmmon (when he's healthy) & those guys will house it.

Advertisement
Back