My Post Game recap

outside of the punter, team just looked so much better with Perry leading the offense. Defense was not consistently put in bad position, offense was able to move the ball, giving d a breather. Perry made plays with both arm and feet that Rosier can only dream about.

Advertisement
outside of the punter, team just looked so much better with Perry leading the offense. Defense was not consistently put in bad position, offense was able to move the ball, giving d a breather. Perry made plays with both arm and feet that Rosier can only dream about.
To be fair to rosier and acknowledge his performance vs Toledo we have been moving the ball well as an offense especially the last 2 weeks. We are converting 3rd downs at a high level too

I don't know where I should post this but I want to see some more two back formations and various plays out of them.

I am really hoping to see some play-action off the I-formation and some roll-outs.
Right now opposing defensive coordinators see that our tendency is to give the ball to Choc the upback in those situations. It would be cool to see Kosi fake it and then roll our for huge amounts of yardage out on the edge. Or have Jordan run a route for big yardage on 3rd and short.

Great summary, LCE. Agree on almost everything. Just in relation to the QB play:

Perry's pick probably bothered me a little more only because I had visions of that possibly happening against better competition where he faces more pressure and HAS to make good decisions but at the end of the day it was the kid's first real game and there's certainly no problematic pattern yet.

One thing I absolutely loved with Perry in there was what appeared to my (highly inebriated) eyes to be much less of a focus on the sideline fade type of pass game. We were actually attacking all parts of the field in the air without a hesitation in allowing the kid to zip it down the middle of the field. One would think this would be better news for our TEs too- a group that Rosier has failed to utilize anywhere near as much as he should/could.

LoL, worked out better than letting Feagles punt on 4th down.

I don't know where I should post this but I want to see some more two back formations and various plays out of them.

I am really hoping to see some play-action off the I-formation and some roll-outs.
Right now opposing defensive coordinators see that our tendency is to give the ball to Choc the upback in those situations. It would be cool to see Kosi fake it and then roll our for huge amounts of yardage out on the edge. Or have Jordan run a route for big yardage on 3rd and short.
More wheel routes for our backs out of the 2 back sets, preferably going to cam Davis as he excels as a pass catching back

Advertisement
More wheel routes for our backs out of the 2 back sets, preferably going to cam Davis as he excels as a pass catching back
I have been wanting to see more wheel routes for years. Would be nice since we have backs that can't be covered one-on-one.

Who would've thought a QB could complete greater than 60% here?

Perry looked very good.

Nice to see Homer running like Homer.

We are razor-thin at DL and lose a lot of quality when Willis, J Jax or Garvin isn't in there.

But I don't recall seeing D Jax in there - I'm assuming he's resting from an injury. We need him to play, for sure.

And I haven't seen Odenigbo make a single play yet this year.

The DL in the '19 class can't get here soon enough.

It would be nice to add a JUCO DT in there to get some added quality and experience for the '19 class.

Patchan is a decent DE - I've got nothing against him.

And he almost got to the QB on Redwine's INT from the blind side.

Don't think that affected the throw, but you never know.

But at the end of the game our DE "depth" included Joyner and McCray who weigh around 240 and 235.

If we have many more injuries at DE as we get into the meat of the season, it'll be brutal.

However Patchan is all over the place! He is really putting in the work!

Advertisement

But at the end of the game our DE "depth" included Joyner and McCray who weigh around 240 and 235.

If we have many more injuries at DE as we get into the meat of the season, it'll be brutal.
That’s pretty much the case for any team inFBS if they have 2,3 or 4 injuries at one position.

I think he saw Hightower open deep, just couldn't get enough on the throw after having rolled to his left.
Cager was open in that area and I originally thought he was throwing it to him but the ball basically landed in between Cager and Hightower.

Who would've thought a QB could complete greater than 60% here?

Perry looked very good.

Nice to see Homer running like Homer.

We are razor-thin at DL and lose a lot of quality when Willis, J Jax or Garvin isn't in there.

But I don't recall seeing D Jax in there - I'm assuming he's resting from an injury. We need him to play, for sure.

And I haven't seen Odenigbo make a single play yet this year.

The DL in the '19 class can't get here soon enough.

It would be nice to add a JUCO DT in there to get some added quality and experience for the '19 class.

I agree regarding our DL. We are paper thin. Need Rousseau back badly and we need D Jax to get back into form. Odenigbo played a bit, but he has not contributed much.

We've got some good prospect developing on the OL, but now we desperately need to address the DL. That's the key to our future success - with no strong DL, our defense does not work.

Cager was open in that area and I originally thought he was throwing it to him but the ball basically landed in between Cager and Hightower.
Agreed. It sure looked like Hightower was open behind everyone near the end zone.

Advertisement
Rosier can make play's with his legs. It's his arm which has Cane family calling for his head on a royal platter.

Advertisement
Agreed.

Due to Perry's natural arm talent we can work the middle of the field a lot easier because he throws with the velocity needed to hit guys in stride & throw players open.

Small sample size, but the difference I see between the Offense with Perry at the helm is the intermediate passing game will be more heavily involved with how we move the ball down the field. With Rosier, it seemed like he had to hit on the Deep ball or else we would struggle in the passing game.

What will be interesting to see is how we utilize the Play Action game now, I'm telling yall man I can't wait til I see the QB stick the ball in the RB's chest making that Safety get caught with his eyes stuck in the backfield only for the QB to pull it & rip it to JT4/Ahmmon/Harley/Pope running right past'em straight into the end zone.
Plus at 6’5” he can see over the line instead of having to find guys open in small windows created by the line opening throwing lanes.

Patchan also made a nice hustle play getting a tackle down field.

Just got home and I'm watching the game off my DVR. I think 1st drive of the game is very telling why some things went down. JT4 was winded on 2nd play of the game. Looked to me like he came into the game sick or dehydrated. Will be interesting to hear what news comes of it. Also, Malik looked like he was just going thru the motions while he was on the field. During the first drive, on 2nd down, an RPO was called but instead of handing the ball to Homer for what looks like would've been a 50+ yard TD, he keeps it for no gain. Then, 2 plays later on the 4th down call, he calls a QB sneak and didn't even look like he was trying. This is what kills me about this kid. When he's missing or off, it's ugly. Real ugly. No emotion. Disinterested. Seems like at times he plays with a lack of effort or enthusiasm. To be honest, it kinda reminds me of Jay Cutler. These actions can and will kill a team, especially when it comes from the QB position.

By the way, saw the hold on the 80-yard punt return by JT4. They caught #1 Nesta with the hold around the 50.

Agree on Malik’s early effort and I call bs on Richt planning all along to sub in Perry with the 3rd series. I think Richt saw early on from Malik what he saw in the Pitt game and decided early on to make a change to light a fire under Malik. Unfortunately for Malik, he no longer has Shaqueefs backing him up. Once Richt saw how Perry was moving the offense and hitting his targets in stride, he decided to stick with him and get him valuable experience. Perry made some mistakes which is actually good, because you ain’t learning from them on Greentree. Overall he played a really good game and showed Richt how well the offense can run with him at the helm. I understand Richt “protecting” Malik and saying what he said, no need to dog him since Perry clearly delivered the message.

Advertisement
Back