My Post Game Recap - UVA

Idk, but he's been bad lol.

Probably playing out of position at Guard, he's more of a natural at OT.
I know a lot of college teams do it, but I really think this clapping once and snapping it every time is killing the inside of our OL. Just about every play last night, we would clap and it would let their MLB time the snap with a running start to bull rush our OL. They have to figure out some semi competent mix for the interior during the bye because it is killing our offense.

Advertisement
It’s hilarious that the coaches say this team is so connected, yet we don’t look connected by any means. Lashlee looks like he has taken another job and completely checked out, defense has WR running WIDE open all day, no one plays with intensity, undisciplined. I know you can’t let Manny go, but he’s too comfortable being mediocre

Weirdest game I’ve seen in a long time. Never thought I’d see a 19-14 game and be happier with how the offense played. Virginia did a good job with their crazy multi-quarterback offense. It was good enough to put together a couple nice drives but you can’t survive solely on gimmick plays and they eventually hit a wall when forced to go more traditional. Their starting quarterback (who apparently wasn’t hurt) wasn’t very good anyway. Still too many blown coverages (again). Here’s a tip for Baker, when they put in the quarterback who can’t throw, he’s going to run. Pretty much every time. Still, even if you give them the touchdown that was called back, you’re still only talking about 21 points. That’s not bad.
On offense we might have stumbled on to something and hopefully Lashlee can adjust his game plan. If we pass to set up the run, the running game works a million times better. Trying to force the run game with this offensive line is NOT working. We just keep putting ourselves in third and long with all the negative rushing plays. But.... if they can complete a few early down passes and move the chains, the tempo really starts to affect the defense. In the second half we saw Chaney gouge Virginia on the ground because they were tired. Mike Harley with the best game for a UM receiver since Ahmmon Richards. He got open, didn’t drop anything, picked up big yards after catch and made some tough grabs where he had to adjust to the ball. The red zone offense was just stupid. With the defense more congested on the goal line, they need something more than just cramming it up the middle. Why the **** are they going to wildcat with a QB who might be the best runner on the team? The designed QB run is a staple of the red zone and you have a good runner. Why take the ball out of his hands and completely eliminate the pass threat? They just left too many points on the field. It’s not going to be enough against a good team.

444 yards of offense.
8-17 third downs 1-1 4th downs
333 yards passing 10.7 yards per attempt
Zero turnovers.
How do you only score 19?
It’s like the opposite of last week when the offense couldn’t move the ball but still managed 31 points.

Advertisement
Good recap yet again Liberty City! While obviously not thrilled with the W I also think UVA was far more athletic than I thought. They have some athletes at Qb, DL and their OL is big as well. I don’t think we are giving UVA the credit they deserve - **** they even played Clemson tough. I am still dying to see a naked bootleg out of King this season and need more variety from our running plays. Overall I am happy with the team so far this season and as you Noted keep on winning as we have a recruiting class that will eat.

This game will be seen as a huge win for Manny by those who make hire and fire decisions. While we're sitting around discussing style points Manny challenged his receivers and they responded. Coaching is as much about leading as it is about X's and O's. We'll see if this has created a stronger receiving corp or not but he got career results out of Harley. That's a win and falls under the development category for those keeping score.

Our defense played fine. This weird 3 headed running qb thing was challenging. But we kept them out of the end zone for the most part.

On offense our receivers finally play a game and our OL **** themselves again. They can still be really bad.

King is smart and tough but he does miss some throws. He still gives us our best chance of winning. Hopefully he has another gear.

Very good post.

Advertisement
Two questions....

1. UVA looked like a completely different team than they have any other game this season. Did they completely change their playbook for us?

2. Is there any other team in CFB that digresses like we do as the season moves on? We look like two teams going in opposite directions.

inquiring minds want to know.

Two questions....

1. UVA looked like a completely different team than they have any other game this season. Did they completely change their playbook for us?

2. Is there any other team in CFB that digresses like we do as the season moves on? We look like two teams going in opposite directions.

inquiring minds want to know.
I don’t think digress is the word you’re looking for. Maybe regress? But still I’d say they played better against Virginia and Pitt than they did against Clemson. So they’re not really regressing

Advertisement
We ran empty tonight and UVA brought 6. (1 more than we could block)
King almost got killed.

UVA played Cover-0 and had everybody blanketed. Rooter ran an out route, it was covered. And Harley I believe ran the quick slant. (also covered)

UVA brought at least 6 all night, not sure why we didn’t we capitalize on that with screens or quick passes to one of the running back.
Crossing patterns once in awhile would be nice to see as well.

I don’t think digress is the word you’re looking for. Maybe regress? But still I’d say they played better against Virginia and Pitt than they did against Clemson. So they’re not really
Perhaps you are right on word choice, point taken. But we just look worse to me every week ( except FSU game ), as the talent lessens, we play down. Although that does sound like the Canes I knew in the early 90’s. Saw many a game live where I thought, “playing down to the competition.”

Advertisement
We're still 2 recruiting classes away from being a true contender.

We can compete in the ACC, but for 2nd place.

Going forward for 2021 & beyond, we need a QB, a dynamic WR, a Ballhawk Safety, some speed at CB & speed at LB.

We also have to start recruiting more aggressively outside of just FL, we need an infusion of Houston/TX talent.
Hopefully Avante makes his way onto the field in 2021. He and the 2021 class would make a very solid safety group.

To your point about the refs slowing the offense down; I forgot who it was, but one of our WRs took the ball from the Line Judge and tossed it to the Umpire because he was moving too slow.
Lol. Yes I saw that too. I thought it was Pope. But I wasn’t sure.

Advertisement
Back