My Post Game Recap - UVA

@Liberty City El
In all fairness, the bubble screen to Few would’ve been fine if Wiggins would’ve done his job and blocked for him.
If this is the play I remember, Mallory got stuck trying to block 2 of Virginia’s players. I’ve seen enough of Wiggins...he just doesn’t appear to want to work.
I'm talking about the Bubble Screen that almost got taken for a pick 6 to Few.

Advertisement
I am a big fan of JP12. I'm not sure he will ever mount up to what most fans think he should be. For whatever reason, he just doesn't get into the action and make things happen

1. scaife is trash. Needs to be benched.

2. Biggest weakness on this team is the staff. Watching these o-lineman play patty cake , not firing off the ball and not even engaging guys irks the **** out of me. On that Chaney goal line play check out the right side of the o-line... barely fired off the ball, couple guys didn't engage anyone....the left side cleared the whole line out and Chaney cut back and scored with a. little help.

Way to many plays being destroyed due to lack of effort. Wiggins and Mallory blocking on the perimeter is just lack of effort, its pathetic. You see the same thing with the o-line..just lack of effort. LAshlee needs to get that fixed. I thought he was a guy that paid attention to detail but it looks like I was wrong.

3. Harley had a good game. Not sold on him. He had a game like this or close to this last year or whatever ....next game it was the same Harley so I guess we'll see.

4. defense is horribly over coached. Baker is trash and I have no idea why one Banda or baker himself are in the press box. These seem like they're trying to make a name for themselves and get to cute. I can unc destroying these guys if they don't change and swallow pride

5. I'd like to see king or any other player start getting in peoples faces. Diaz needs to do this too.

6. Miami needs to take St's more serious. u look at some of then personnel and its obvious they don't.

But will Manny get rid of his defensive coaches. All except Rumph are his guys.

I don't know. I'd at least like to see a VERY strong DC brought in. You often see improvement from the position coaches when a great DC pulls the entire operation together.

Then start with dropping the one who isn't his guy. He's probably not firing Baker until his job is on the line. I think best case scenario is some AD at a G5 who doesn't know anything about football hires Baker as HC, and Diaz can upgrade the DC (who I assume will be allowed to pick his own staff)

This is what needs to happen. Manny needs to nudge Baker into taking a DC/Assistant HC job elsewhere (because UM's defensive stats are so good), and then we need to hire a "Schiano-like" DC.

Advertisement
Bolden often times tries to go for the big swagger hit, he celebrates before his man is even on the ground lol.

He hit a guy yesterday & was literally stylin & profiling before the WR even went down, he was posing while the WR was regaining balance & still running, I was like WTF are you doing Bubba?!? Lol.
I love his ability but he's a clown.
I've seen the kid celebrate an ankle tackle 7+ yards downfield.

@Liberty City El
In all fairness, the bubble screen to Few would’ve been fine if Wiggins would’ve done his job and blocked for him.
If this is the play I remember, Mallory got stuck trying to block 2 of Virginia’s players. I’ve seen enough of Wiggins...he just doesn’t appear to want to work.
Nah.
Few got tackled by a defender who was halfway on the ground.

View attachment 134296

Offense:

D'Eriq King - 21/30 322yds 1TD 70%cmp & 14att 28yds
Mike Harley - 10rec 170yds 1TD
Will Mallory - 2rec 58yds
Mark Pope - 3rec 48yds
Dee Wiggins - 3rec 36yds
Don Chaney Jr - 10att 43yds 1TD
Jaylan Knighton - 12att 37yds

Gained 444yds (322yds passing & 122yds rushing) of total offense, 78 plays, 23 1st downs, 8/17 on 3rd down, 5.7 yards per play & 31:28 in time of possession.

Love the first drive play calling with the first two passes on Deep balls to Mallory & Harley, started out early to stretching the field vs UVA.

On the second drive King had a good run to move the ball backed up into our end zone & also delivered another throw to Mallory who made a good catch. Mallory has done a good job stepping as the primary TE since Brevin has been out, I'd like for him to get more targets, but he's been good for a few explosive plays in every game.

Mike Harley played his best game of his career today. He was catching everything thrown by him & got very good YAC yardage on the day, he really stepped up amongst the WR room as the go to WR for King out the Slot. Despite his struggles early in the year, he's just kept fighting & kept working & has emerged as the WR1 for this team.

View attachment 134297

Two Great catches early on by Pope, but two bad focus drops.

Wiggins has been a huge disappointment this season, he has no physicality at the top of his routes, he cannot separate to save his life & goes down faster than a baby Deer. He gets no elevation or verticality in his routes at all, just folds like a lawn chair as soon as a CB touches him, he wouldn't start for me for the rest of the year, his size & speed is completely useless, smh.

No more Bubble screens to Marshall Few, ever.

All the TF WR's were out this game due to Covid protocol, looking forward to them getting back in 2 weeks for NC St.

The OL got completely blown up on the interior on 3rd down early in the game Scaife got abused. Interior OL played really bad, Scaife got beat like a rented mule, he was getting completely bull rushed all game. Snowden gave Zion fits. Clark & Jarrid Williams were solid, but the rest of line played like shìt.

King did a good job escaping the pass rush on the 2nd drive in the 3rd quarter, UVA got away with illegal contact to the head on that play, but King saved a potential sack & gained yards on the scramble. This was a good passing performance by King, he missed one to Harley that would've went for a TD on that last drive in the 4th quarter, but overall he was very good completing 70% of his passes & had no turnovers. I felt he made good decision to Mallory in the end zone, just think he needed to give him a jump ball & get the ball placement higher to the back shoulder so he could snatch it out of the air.

Terrible call to end a 15 play drive in the Red zone with just a FG, we totally let UVA off the hook. 3 straight runs to the same side was idiotic AF. There was so many plays that could've been run against a super tired UVA Defense in that spot & we just completely gave up. Haven't been too critical of Lashlee to this point, but that was an awful decision IMO.

Also disagreed big time with punting the ball back to UVA on that first drive of the 4th quarter, it was a 4th down & 1 at midfield, we could've easily converted that & kept the drive going.

They got away with a facemask on Knighton in the 4th quarter as well.

Our rushing offense since Louisville has been garbage, we did gain over 100 yards but we were only running at a horrendous 2.5 yards per carry, it was more so death by a thousand paper cuts, we cannot run on the inside to save our lives. Chaney had some nice runs, but we telegraph our run plays way too often, as soon as we gain anything more than a yard on a run we just hand it off right away again & just waste a down with too many short yard gains. The best runs we had is when we went with 4-wide splits & forced the Defense to pull defenders out of the box & Chaney/Knighton would bounce it outside.

Overall, the offense wasn't bad in terms of production through the air, just left too many points on the board, we should've scored 37 points.

Defense:

Jaelan Phillips - 7tcks
Gilbert Frierson - 6tcks & 1PBU
Bubba Bolden - 5tcks & 1PBU
Quincy Roche - 4tcks 1TFL
Waynmon Steed - 3tcks 1TFL
DJ Ivey - 3tcks 1PBU
Bradley Jennings Jr - 3tcks 1TFL 1 sack
Jahfari Harvey - 3tcks
Gurvan Hall - 2tcks & 2PBU's
Jon Ford - 2tcks
Nesta Silvera - 2tcks

Gave up 366yds (181yds passing & 185yds rushing)

Running QB's always gives this Defense trouble. Armstrong rushed for 91yds on us, but aside from the busted coverage late in the 4th we did a good job in pass Defense holding them to just 181yds passing. Defensive line barely got any pressure, we only had 2 TFL's & 1 sack the entire game.

Every tackle that Amari Carter makes will be called for targeting, it's clear the ACC refs have him tagged as a player they literally have a quota to throw out of every game he plays. At this point Diaz & Baker just need to start playing Jalen Harrell & Brian Balom (once he gets cleared from quarantine) as the 3rd Safety in rotation because AC5 will not be allowed to finish a game this season

Gurvan Hall had a textbook hit dislodging the ball on an early defensive drive.

Bolden didn't play his best, he had a few lapses in coverage but was solid overall.

Terrible terrible coverage by Al Jr on the Deep TD to Henry, completely fell asleep & busted coverage, that was just bad on his part. He played most of this game like he was just going through the motions, he's been very good on the season but tonight he seemed mentally out of it.

Great PBU by Ivey on 4th down, he had good leverage & came underneath the outside shoulder & got active with his hands, he also had a very good tackle on a QB run from Thompson. He's played better since earlier this season.

We play way too much soft Zone coverages, it bugs me lol.

Good job by Jennings blowing up the play in the red zone for a sack, that was good recognition by him.

That was a great TFL by Steed to get to Tavares Kelly in the backfield. He had a bad misread on that long run on 4th down by Armstrong, he hit down on the ball fake, but otherwise he played well with Flagg being out.

Our best LB's are Brooks, Flagg, Steed & Jennings, McCloud just can't turn a corner & has no lateral quickness at all.

The biggest issue with this year's Defense is we are not forcing enough Turnovers, we need to put an emphasis on getting to the ball Defensively, either through stripping it from ball carriers or having our DB's start jumping more routes, but we need more turnovers. We need desperately need a Ballhawk on the backend, hopefully Kamren Kinchens & James Williams will get their shot to play next year as TF's because after Bolden leaves we won't have an impactful Safety returning. Hopefully, we got something with one of the 4 TF S's from the 2020 class.

Rarely do I talk about refs, but this was a God awful officiating crew. It's almost like they were trying their hardest to slow down any good drive we got going on offense & made sure to be momentum killers at every turn. ACC refs are the fckin worst.

Overall, ugly team win, but a win is a win. We should've beat this team a lot more handily, we left points on the field. The Defense didn't play bad, but mental errors lead to preventable scores. Even with all that said, ****, we're still 5-1 lol hopefully the Bye week doesn't kick our asses like it has in recent memory. NC St is very beatable, maybe a good road trip can light a spark under this team.

Either way, just keep winning.

Great post!

Advertisement
NC STATE ALSO PLAYS 3 QBS SO WE HAVE THAT EXCUSE COMING
Every week, GO!!

Manny - “They did something we didn’t expect.”

M’Fer - When are you ever going to prepare for the unexpected? Do opponents only do things not to be expected against Miami? When are you and the staff ever going to prepare a game plan doing something different than an opponent doesn’t expect instead of the same defense and same Inside Zone Run on offense?

Advertisement
Back