My Post Game Recap - UVA

Weirdest game I’ve seen in a long time. Never thought I’d see a 19-14 game and be happier with how the offense played. Virginia did a good job with their crazy multi-quarterback offense. It was good enough to put together a couple nice drives but you can’t survive solely on gimmick plays and they eventually hit a wall when forced to go more traditional. Their starting quarterback (who apparently wasn’t hurt) wasn’t very good anyway. Still too many blown coverages (again). Here’s a tip for Baker, when they put in the quarterback who can’t throw, he’s going to run. Pretty much every time. Still, even if you give them the touchdown that was called back, you’re still only talking about 21 points. That’s not bad.
On offense we might have stumbled on to something and hopefully Lashlee can adjust his game plan. If we pass to set up the run, the running game works a million times better. Trying to force the run game with this offensive line is NOT working. We just keep putting ourselves in third and long with all the negative rushing plays. But.... if they can complete a few early down passes and move the chains, the tempo really starts to affect the defense. In the second half we saw Chaney gouge Virginia on the ground because they were tired. Mike Harley with the best game for a UM receiver since Ahmmon Richards. He got open, didn’t drop anything, picked up big yards after catch and made some tough grabs where he had to adjust to the ball. The red zone offense was just stupid. With the defense more congested on the goal line, they need something more than just cramming it up the middle. Why the **** are they going to wildcat with a QB who might be the best runner on the team? The designed QB run is a staple of the red zone and you have a good runner. Why take the ball out of his hands and completely eliminate the pass threat? They just left too many points on the field. It’s not going to be enough against a good team.

444 yards of offense.
8-17 third downs 1-1 4th downs
333 yards passing 10.7 yards per attempt
Zero turnovers.
How do you only score 19?
It’s like the opposite of last week when the offense couldn’t move the ball but still managed 31 points.
Very well said 💯

Advertisement
That hit tonight was blatant helmet to helmet by Carter. Stop blaming the refs for our players being undisciplined.
It was only helmet to helmet because the runner ducked his head down at the last second, AC didn't launch with his helmet, it was incidental, but they're gonna call targeting on him no matter what because he literally gets called for it every game.

It was only helmet to helmet because the runner ducked his head down at the last second, AC didn't launch with his helmet, it was incidental, but they're gonna call targeting on him no matter what because he literally gets called for it every game.
He needs to understand that it's head to toe now. You can not lead with your head. Lawrence was hit in the stomach, and they still called targeting. If you lead with the crown of the helmet, they will call targeting.

He needs to understand that it's head to toe now. You can not lead with your head. Lawrence was hit in the stomach, and they still called targeting. If you lead with the crown of the helmet, they will call targeting.
Even when he doesn't lead with the crown of his helmet they call targeting, that's what yall are missing.

It's not the technique of his tackling, it's him. He's getting the Rasheed Wallace treatment.

Even when he doesn't lead with the crown of his helmet they call targeting, that's what yall are missing.

It's not the technique of his tackling, it's him. He's getting the Rasheed Wallace treatment.
It's true they call it just because, even when he literally uses his whole forearm first they throw the flag. Some have been iffy, but most are the way the teach to hit without using your helmet.

Advertisement
Blades Jr made me want to vomit. I watched him from the stands, I saw the play coming the whole way. One of the worst effort plays I’ve ever seen. I don’t even think he realized there was a receiver on the far hash because he was too busy talking. And then once he noticed he took about two steps and just gave up on the play. I’m tired of seeing people sleepwalking, put someone in who wants to play.

As usual, a reasonable, realistic breakdown El. I look forward to this every week. There’s nothing I can add, so I won’t!

We're still 2 recruiting classes away from being a true contender.

We can compete in the ACC, but for 2nd place.

Going forward for 2021 & beyond, we need a QB, a dynamic WR, a Ballhawk Safety, some speed at CB & speed at LB.

We also have to start recruiting more aggressively outside of just FL, we need an infusion of Houston/TX talent.

Truth.

Let's not forget, Clemson's rise to a Final Four team coincided with F$U's decline. If we are going to reach Clemson's level, we still need 2 more classes of recruits to replace the disappointments of the past, and we probably need to swap out a few coaches (like when we got rid of Bill Miller and hired Greg Schiano).

Blades Jr made me want to vomit. I watched him from the stands, I saw the play coming the whole way. One of the worst effort plays I’ve ever seen. I don’t even think he realized there was a receiver on the far hash because he was too busy talking. And then once he noticed he took about two steps and just gave up on the play. I’m tired of seeing people sleepwalking, put someone in who wants to play.
Apparently he was hurt & tried to get out the game, but it was a huge mental error.

But he's been very good on the season up until that play, that's just facts.

He's top 5 in PBU's & had a good completion % vs targets on the season.

He's been good, he just messed up bad on that play.

Advertisement

I'm not sure about "effort", it looked like he thought the coverage was zone and that a safety would take over the deep coverage.

It's still a problem to think you are in a different defense than what has actually been called.

Truth.

Let's not forget, Clemson's rise to a Final Four team coincided with F$U's decline. If we are going to reach Clemson's level, we still need 2 more classes of recruits to replace the disappointments of the past, and we probably need to swap out a few coaches (like when we got rid of Bill Miller and hired Greg Schiano).
But will Manny get rid of his defensive coaches. All except Rumph are his guys.

But will Manny get rid of his defensive coaches. All except Rumph are his guys.

Then start with dropping the one who isn't his guy. He's probably not firing Baker until his job is on the line. I think best case scenario is some AD at a G5 who doesn't know anything about football hires Baker as HC, and Diaz can upgrade the DC (who I assume will be allowed to pick his own staff)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Problem is there is quite literally no one else thanks to our CB recruiting.

Even our best player (debatably) in Bolden might also be the worst tackler on the team at times the way he flails hopelessly at guys. Nothing on this team is just good without a major "but". All games will be a battle to the end most likely
Bolden often times tries to go for the big swagger hit, he celebrates before his man is even on the ground lol.

He hit a guy yesterday & was literally stylin & profiling before the WR even went down, he was posing while the WR was regaining balance & still running, I was like WTF are you doing Bubba?!? Lol.

@Liberty City El
In all fairness, the bubble screen to Few would’ve been fine if Wiggins would’ve done his job and blocked for him.
If this is the play I remember, Mallory got stuck trying to block 2 of Virginia’s players. I’ve seen enough of Wiggins...he just doesn’t appear to want to work.

Advertisement
Back