My Post Game Recap - UVA

COACHING

Further proof that Manny is not the guy, however much we want him to be.

So it needed the media and social media to make these asshats catch better?
It does say “internal via a nine player competition”. It was the coaches decision to reopen the competition.

Advertisement
And a new head coach
CMD, cannot get us were we need to go, last nights game was awful in terms of 8 weeks into the season and this is what we look like? D staff need a complete overhaul and the need to hire an LB coach and recruit speed at all levels.
also revamp your S&C program to compete with the rest of league, we lack explosive strength and get our but kicked way to many times.......

Agree with most of this, but I don't know what you mean by saying Clark was solid. He was blown up on just about every run play. This is a team that needs to pass to set up the run, but Lashlee does the opposite because we ran on UAB with success

He’s our worst lineman.
We should just expect teams to copy and paste their defensive game plan against us. We were perfect from the red zone before yesterday, where we went 1 of 4, I believe. Hope the WRs keep that confidence up the rest of the way (sans wiggins, he doodoo).

I thought to myself, if we keep throwing the bubble screens, couldn’t we fake it, and have someon release on a vertical to that vacant space. Their DB jumped it and almost had a pick 6.

I just hope we have some OL that are maulers because to my untrained eye they are not run blockers, much better at pass blocking (relatively speaking), but Justice comes from a good OL coaching tree, so I’m hoping it’s the players skill level, which recruiting can fix

Y’all are better and dissecting and analyzing than I am, but I’m just happy we’re 5-1, because we need to keep this recruiting class together at all costs.

Advertisement
weird, weird game for the offense. king moved the ball really well through the air, but the rushing attack was useless aside from a drive or two and i'm not really sure how we managed to leave so many points on the field for as much as we moved the ball. red zone playcalling/execution was rouggghhh today but so far this season that's an anomaly, so hopefully that improves. as others have mentioned those 3 straight handoffs inside the 15 leading to a field goal when we could've gone up 17-7 were absolutely brutal.

despite all that it honestly felt like we were in control of the game almost the whole way despite the lack of scoring. the blown coverage with blades made things way more tense than they needed to be, and we shouldn't even have been in that position if the offense could convert all those yards into points. at this point we kind of are what we are- a top 15-20 team that is ranked a little higher than we should be. that's still a significant improvement over last year. we just need to take care of business so we can start stacking recruiting classes.

honestly the only thing that truly does frustrate me is that we just play flat-out stupid very frequently. there's really nothing left to say about amari carter, and the penalties (while not overwhelming today) and mental mistakes/blown coverages are just terrible and tiresome.
It was last year's UNC game... Except we won this time.

View attachment 134296

Offense:

D'Eriq King - 21/30 322yds 1TD 70%cmp & 14att 28yds
Mike Harley - 10rec 170yds 1TD
Will Mallory - 2rec 58yds
Mark Pope - 3rec 48yds
Dee Wiggins - 3rec 36yds
Don Chaney Jr - 10att 43yds 1TD
Jaylan Knighton - 12att 37yds

Gained 444yds (322yds passing & 122yds rushing) of total offense, 78 plays, 23 1st downs, 8/17 on 3rd down, 5.7 yards per play & 31:28 in time of possession.

Love the first drive play calling with the first two passes on Deep balls to Mallory & Harley, started out early to stretching the field vs UVA.

On the second drive King had a good run to move the ball backed up into our end zone & also delivered another throw to Mallory who made a good catch. Mallory has done a good job stepping as the primary TE since Brevin has been out, I'd like for him to get more targets, but he's been good for a few explosive plays in every game.

Mike Harley played his best game of his career today. He was catching everything thrown by him & got very good YAC yardage on the day, he really stepped up amongst the WR room as the go to WR for King out the Slot. Despite his struggles early in the year, he's just kept fighting & kept working & has emerged as the WR1 for this team.

View attachment 134297

Two Great catches early on by Pope, but two bad focus drops.

Wiggins has been a huge disappointment this season, he has no physicality at the top of his routes, he cannot separate to save his life & goes down faster than a baby Deer. He gets no elevation or verticality in his routes at all, just folds like a lawn chair as soon as a CB touches him, he wouldn't start for me for the rest of the year, his size & speed is completely useless, smh.

No more Bubble screens to Marshall Few, ever.

All the TF WR's were out this game due to Covid protocol, looking forward to them getting back in 2 weeks for NC St.

The OL got completely blown up on the interior on 3rd down early in the game Scaife got abused. Interior OL played really bad, Scaife got beat like a rented mule, he was getting completely bull rushed all game. Snowden gave Zion fits. Clark & Jarrid Williams were solid, but the rest of line played like shìt.

King did a good job escaping the pass rush on the 2nd drive in the 3rd quarter, UVA got away with illegal contact to the head on that play, but King saved a potential sack & gained yards on the scramble. This was a good passing performance by King, he missed one to Harley that would've went for a TD on that last drive in the 4th quarter, but overall he was very good completing 70% of his passes & had no turnovers. I felt he made good decision to Mallory in the end zone, just think he needed to give him a jump ball & get the ball placement higher to the back shoulder so he could snatch it out of the air.

Terrible call to end a 15 play drive in the Red zone with just a FG, we totally let UVA off the hook. 3 straight runs to the same side was idiotic AF. There was so many plays that could've been run against a super tired UVA Defense in that spot & we just completely gave up. Haven't been too critical of Lashlee to this point, but that was an awful decision IMO.

Also disagreed big time with punting the ball back to UVA on that first drive of the 4th quarter, it was a 4th down & 1 at midfield, we could've easily converted that & kept the drive going.

They got away with a facemask on Knighton in the 4th quarter as well.

Our rushing offense since Louisville has been garbage, we did gain over 100 yards but we were only running at a horrendous 2.5 yards per carry, it was more so death by a thousand paper cuts, we cannot run on the inside to save our lives. Chaney had some nice runs, but we telegraph our run plays way too often, as soon as we gain anything more than a yard on a run we just hand it off right away again & just waste a down with too many short yard gains. The best runs we had is when we went with 4-wide splits & forced the Defense to pull defenders out of the box & Chaney/Knighton would bounce it outside.

Overall, the offense wasn't bad in terms of production through the air, just left too many points on the board, we should've scored 37 points.

Defense:

Jaelan Phillips - 7tcks
Gilbert Frierson - 6tcks & 1PBU
Bubba Bolden - 5tcks & 1PBU
Quincy Roche - 4tcks 1TFL
Waynmon Steed - 3tcks 1TFL
DJ Ivey - 3tcks 1PBU
Bradley Jennings Jr - 3tcks 1TFL 1 sack
Jahfari Harvey - 3tcks
Gurvan Hall - 2tcks & 2PBU's
Jon Ford - 2tcks
Nesta Silvera - 2tcks

Gave up 366yds (181yds passing & 185yds rushing)

Running QB's always gives this Defense trouble. Armstrong rushed for 91yds on us, but aside from the busted coverage late in the 4th we did a good job in pass Defense holding them to just 181yds passing. Defensive line barely got any pressure, we only had 2 TFL's & 1 sack the entire game.

Every tackle that Amari Carter makes will be called for targeting, it's clear the ACC refs have him tagged as a player they literally have a quota to throw out of every game he plays. At this point Diaz & Baker just need to start playing Jalen Harrell & Brian Balom (once he gets cleared from quarantine) as the 3rd Safety in rotation because AC5 will not be allowed to finish a game this season

Gurvan Hall had a textbook hit dislodging the ball on an early defensive drive.

Bolden didn't play his best, he had a few lapses in coverage but was solid overall.

Terrible terrible coverage by Al Jr on the Deep TD to Henry, completely fell asleep & busted coverage, that was just bad on his part. He played most of this game like he was just going through the motions, he's been very good on the season but tonight he seemed mentally out of it.

Great PBU by Ivey on 4th down, he had good leverage & came underneath the outside shoulder & got active with his hands, he also had a very good tackle on a QB run from Thompson. He's played better since earlier this season.

We play way too much soft Zone coverages, it bugs me lol.

Good job by Jennings blowing up the play in the red zone for a sack, that was good recognition by him.

That was a great TFL by Steed to get to Tavares Kelly in the backfield. He had a bad misread on that long run on 4th down by Armstrong, he hit down on the ball fake, but otherwise he played well with Flagg being out.

Our best LB's are Brooks, Flagg, Steed & Jennings, McCloud just can't turn a corner & has no lateral quickness at all.

The biggest issue with this year's Defense is we are not forcing enough Turnovers, we need to put an emphasis on getting to the ball Defensively, either through stripping it from ball carriers or having our DB's start jumping more routes, but we need more turnovers. We need desperately need a Ballhawk on the backend, hopefully Kamren Kinchens & James Williams will get their shot to play next year as TF's because after Bolden leaves we won't have an impactful Safety returning. Hopefully, we got something with one of the 4 TF S's from the 2020 class.

Rarely do I talk about refs, but this was a God awful officiating crew. It's almost like they were trying their hardest to slow down any good drive we got going on offense & made sure to be momentum killers at every turn. ACC refs are the fckin worst.

Overall, ugly team win, but a win is a win. We should've beat this team a lot more handily, we left points on the field. The Defense didn't play bad, but mental errors lead to preventable scores. Even with all that said, ****, we're still 5-1 lol hopefully the Bye week doesn't kick our asses like it has in recent memory. NC St is very beatable, maybe a good road trip can light a spark under this team.

Either way, just keep winning.

I don’t understand when the main threat is their QB running the ball, why doesn’t Miami have a spy at all times? The LB’s would take themselves out of the play over and over.

weird, weird game for the offense. king moved the ball really well through the air, but the rushing attack was useless aside from a drive or two and i'm not really sure how we managed to leave so many points on the field for as much as we moved the ball. red zone playcalling/execution was rouggghhh today but so far this season that's an anomaly, so hopefully that improves. as others have mentioned those 3 straight handoffs inside the 15 leading to a field goal when we could've gone up 17-7 were absolutely brutal.

despite all that it honestly felt like we were in control of the game almost the whole way despite the lack of scoring. the blown coverage with blades made things way more tense than they needed to be, and we shouldn't even have been in that position if the offense could convert all those yards into points. at this point we kind of are what we are- a top 15-20 team that is ranked a little higher than we should be. that's still a significant improvement over last year. we just need to take care of business so we can start stacking recruiting classes.

honestly the only thing that truly does frustrate me is that we just play flat-out stupid very frequently. there's really nothing left to say about amari carter, and the penalties (while not overwhelming today) and mental mistakes/blown coverages are just terrible and tiresome.
Something about UVA, it’s always that close tough game. It’s a bit of poor reference but sorta like what Syracuse is to Clemson.

It just doesn’t make sense but that’s how it is every time.

Advertisement
The frustrating part of watching this team, is we keep waiting for them to take the next step. We're waiting for them to play their best ball in all facets of the game similar to the FSU game, but on a weekly basis.

On offense our passing game made a big leap forward but the running game is still stuck in the mud from a combination of sub par offensive line play and predictable run calling. Lashlee has to be better with his run calls. I completely agree with OP that we are wasting downs calling consecutive dive plays leaving us in 3rd & long far too often. We need to be a pass first offense to set up the run because teams are going to continue to stuff the box not respecting our passing game. As OP said, we were most successful with the run when we were in wide split formations with 4 WRs. We can run 4 wides even with 2 Wrs and TEs if necessary. This way you bring the LBs to the edges making them play in space. If they hedge inside, then you dump the ball to a TE or WR. If they hedge towards coverage, then you hand the ball off. This what an RPO is supposed to be. I've seen very few plays where the QB pulls the ball and passes it. We look like we're just doing a straight handoff dive play. I don't see King pulling the ball and keeping it either. Not enough to keep the defense honest. Overall, Lashlee needs his coaches to self scout and come up with schemes to force the defense to play in space.

Defensively, our stats were pretty good, but there were 2 busted coverages deep balls that could have cost us the game. The first one was on 3rd and goal from 30+ yards away were the UVA WR got behind the defense for a busted coverage TD that was called back for a lineman down field. That is completely 100% inexcusable and Blake Baker is to blame. Yes, the players didn't execute and blew the play, but Baker put us in that situation just like he did at UNC last year. From the defense he was playing on that 3rd & goal, he was trying keep UVA from having an easier field goal rather than just keeping them out of the endzone. All you need to know is the defensive alignment on the very next play was a prevent coverage with the safeties at the goal line which is where they should have been on the previous play. You dictate to the offense to have to throw short. UVA threw short. Got to the 20 and missed the field goal anyway. I absolutely hate when Baker takes unnecessary risk. He just shows his *** of NOT being a top level DC making these bonehead calls.

Lastly, our zone coverage scheme is way too soft. For two consecutive games we give away free catches with soft coverage. The coverage is so soft that we can't even make the tackle after the catch when the receiver is trying to get out of bounds to preserve clock. This is consistent throughout the game not just in crunch time. They are either coached this way or the coaches are not correcting them. It is clear they are being coached this way and it's frustrating to watch. Can our coaches please study how the best zone coverage teams play and implement their scheme. Jeff Leneord, the DC at Wisconsin, plays the best cover 2 zone defense I've seen any team play. It's their base defense. So does Iowa for that matter. Ed Reed should be in Baker's ear that our zone defense needs to tighten up. I think Baker and Diaz have too big of ego and it hurts them. If Dabo Sweeney can send his staff to Iowa State to learn their defensive scheme, why can't Diaz & staff go to other coaches and improve on the things we do poorly? Same for the offensive line. I'd get with Wisconsin and understand their whole philosophy from recruiting to developing offensive linemen. Be humble. Keep learning. Keep improving.

Last edited:
That hit tonight was blatant helmet to helmet by Carter. Stop blaming the refs for our players being undisciplined.

He didnt blame the refs for Carter hit infact he even said Carter should be benched he was pointing out because of Carter history that refs know before the game which players to keep an eye on.

Advertisement
Amari Carter is getting call for targeting every game BECAUSE HE'S TARGETING EVERY GAME! It drives me nuts. Personally, I think the rule needs to change, however, as it stands, they're calling it correctly. He simply has to do better. Or, move the kid to LB already.

We were SO fortunate we didn't also lose Bubba to it. That sure looked like targeting to me.

LCE the way I read the part about Carter is like he was the victim. Fam, that dude has no intelligence. It is what it is. Has no business being here. The tackling form hasn’t changed and he’s a danger out there. He does this to himself. Need to start calling clowns like this out man. Remember when he he was recruited he was deemed as an “intelligent, high IQ” safety? BAMBOOZLED.

Advertisement
Well it starts with zone reads...

You read the thread. I don’t have to tell you what I mean...
There’s a toughest part of our schedule?

As crappy as the schedule is we can still lose to 2-3 of those teams. I honestly don’t know what to expect.

To your point about the refs slowing the offense down; I forgot who it was, but one of our WRs took the ball from the Line Judge and tossed it to the Umpire because he was moving too slow.
That was Payton. Looked like he was just jubilant about catching a short yardage pass. He felt large and generous.

Is this quote not insanely disturbing?

The better question is whether they fully realized they were doing the bare minimum. Maybe they thought they were doing well enough. That's part of switching to a culture of excellence from a culture of "we're not the worst unit so that's good enough."

Advertisement
Back