My Post Game Recap - UVA

1000% I think we are good at safety with Williams and Williams. On paper that's an elite duo. CB and LB, yup. Rumph has murdered us. I can't judge yet on LB. I like the potential, but I don't think it's elite. Still holding out hope for T2 though. I think Rumph is gone after this year so at least CB recruiting will improve. WR- I'm still bullish on the young guns, sucks they were out for UVA due to COVID stuff. But we really need to get another AR82 type threat. It's not just that we don't have an elite WR, we do not even have a Berrios- a reliable guy to move the chains and bail out his QB. As you indicated, we are really putting all our eggs in the TVD basket. We need another quality QB recruit to push him. Miami definitely needs to hit up Houston, and while we're there, chat with the Big 12 to see what might be on the table in 2027 when the acc deal ends because f#ck the acc and its crooked refs.
We complained about traveling to Big East cities, especially for basketball. Why we joined the ACC. Another problem was complaints about BE officiating, particularly in basketball. I have a hard time seeing us leaving our region of the country and the Atlantic Coast for the Big 12. It’s not a natural recruiting base. Do we have many alumni from the Big 12 area? Given the reasons for moving to the ACC, I don’t see us moving in that direction. Maybe there is some other way to address officiating bias.

Advertisement
We complained about traveling to Big East cities, especially for basketball. Why we joined the ACC. Another problem was complaints about BE officiating, particularly in basketball. I have a hard time seeing us leaving our region of the country and the Atlantic Coast for the Big 12. It’s not a natural recruiting base. Do we have many alumni from the Big 12 area? Given the reasons for moving to the ACC, I don’t see us moving in that direction. Maybe there is some other way to address officiating bias.

Flight wise, it's a faster trip across the gulf of Mexico to Texas than it is to get up to Massachusetts or NY to play BC or Cuse. I just think recruiting wise, you can't ask for much better than S Fl and Texas. Of course I'm not saying to try and buy our way out like Maryland. I only want the school to look at the possibility when the contract is up and teams are jockeying for positions in realignments. Who knows, may it might at least put a scare in the acc and force them tell the refs to start calling games fairly.

Still don't get why we haven't run a single TE Waggle where we slip the 2nd TE to the back of the end zone after he blocks down. We could use Mammaerlli or Hodges in that role perfectly if the Defense is keying in on Mallory.

We also still haven't ran a PA Quick slant either, which I kinda get because we don't really have any Outside WR's that could probably get an inside release on the goal line lol, but still, just run it with Mallory & have him line up at Z.

Also, we need to go with more 5 wide sets in general, it would open up the offense even more, just keep a Hot route safety blanket for King, but apply pressure on Defenses by forcing them to leave a WR uncovered if they decide to bring any Bltizers vs a 5-wide set.
We ran empty tonight and UVA brought 6. (1 more than we could block)
King almost got killed.

UVA played Cover-0 and had everybody blanketed. Rooter ran an out route, it was covered. And Harley I believe ran the quick slant. (also covered)

We ran empty tonight and UVA brought 6. (1 more than we could block)
King almost got killed.

UVA played Cover-0 and had everybody blanketed. Rooter ran an out route, it was covered. And Harley I believe ran the quick slant. (also covered)
What happened with how we started the game with successful passes and then kept going back to repeatedly failed inside runs?

Advertisement
Lol
Surprised no one commented on this
“No more Bubble screens to Marshall Few”.
If I remember correctly, he did end up getting the first down, but could have went for a bunch mor.
Manny please, don’t do that **** again. No more cute tricks. We’re trying to win football games here.
Marshall Few got tackled by a defender who was in the middle of being pancaked.

And we had that play blocked pretty well. Should've been a 15 yard gain at least.

What happened with how we started the game with successful passes and then kept going back to repeatedly failed inside runs?
I don't know. Would you rather pass EVERY down?
I mean, you have to at least try to establish the run.

We tried to run outside by the way. It was stuffed for a big loss. Actually, mostly all of our outside runs are stuffed. Our O-linemen don't move well and our WR's/TE's don't block well on the perimeter.

If you attempt an inside run and it gets stuffed, you lose 1 yard.
If you get stuffed on an outside run the loss is usually a couple yards greater.

We tried to run outside by the way. It was stuffed for a big loss. Actually, mostly all of our outside runs are stuffed. Our O-linemen don't move well and our WR's/TE's don't block well on the perimeter.

If you get stuffed on an outside run the loss is usually a couple yards greater.
He didn't say Pass it every down....is it to much to mix it up??....You can say whatever you please....but the playcalling was deplorable AGAIN...

I would love to throw a lot more. Get the defense in lighter personnel to support run blocking.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Our biggest problem was redzone incompetence. We put together enough quality drives to make this game a laugher, but sputtered inside the 20 on multiple occasions, especially on the last one where we could have iced the game with a TD,

Overall the defense rebounded and played a great second half aside from the breakdown by Blades, which I hope gets explained today. He looked injured to me, but who knows.

Last edited:
Advertisement
That hit tonight was blatant helmet to helmet by Carter. Stop blaming the refs for our players being undisciplined.
I don't know where he's meant to hit the guy when the WR lowers his helmet into contact. He's a 5'7" player as it is - where's Carter's strike zone?

This game will be seen as a huge win for Manny by those who make hire and fire decisions. While we're sitting around discussing style points Manny challenged his receivers and they responded. Coaching is as much about leading as it is about X's and O's. We'll see if this has created a stronger receiving corp or not but he got career results out of Harley. That's a win and falls under the development category for those keeping score.

Our defense played fine. This weird 3 headed running qb thing was challenging. But we kept them out of the end zone for the most part.

On offense our receivers finally play a game and our OL **** themselves again. They can still be really bad.

King is smart and tough but he does miss some throws. He still gives us our best chance of winning. Hopefully he has another gear.

Advertisement
Back