My God at this Lashlee quote

Success rate is definitely alarming but if the box score has him totally at a loss it highlights the fact that he didn’t watch the game and is purely trying to draw conclusions from looking at the box score. The game was never in doubt.

That's not what he's saying at all. He's saying he watched the game and we dominated the score but when he looks at the box score it doesn't correlate. And he's not wrong. Our success rate running was abysmal. But on the very few successful runs we did have, they were INCREDIBLY successful, and King was brilliant in the pass game. I don't think it's any secret how we won. We absolutely deserved to. But he's basically saying the same thing our offensive coordinator is. We're nowhere close to where we need to be in order to be a truly dominant and efficient offense. You can't run the ball as poorly as we have OVERALL and beat teams with equivalent talent, which we're going to see a few times going forward. The OL has to be better in the run game, period.

Advertisement
That's not what he's saying at all. He's saying he watched the game and we dominated the score but when he looks at the box score it doesn't correlate. And he's not wrong. Our success rate running was abysmal. But on the very few successful runs we did have, they were INCREDIBLY successful, and King was brilliant in the pass game. I don't think it's any secret how we won. We absolutely deserved to. But he's basically saying the same thing our offensive coordinator is. We're nowhere close to where we need to be in order to be a truly dominant and efficient offense. You can't run the ball as poorly as we have OVERALL and beat teams with equivalent talent, which we're going to see a few times going forward. The OL has to be better in the run game, period.
Yea, if that’s what he’s saying then I agree. I just didn’t see him expound like that on his TL. Louisville had also decided that we weren’t going to beat them in the running game like we did to UAB, which is why King was able to have such a great game. Agreed on the success rate not being sustainable long term, and we absolutely need more consistency.

I was just reading this same tweet and came here to share it.

This is EXACTLY what I've been saying for the last 2 weeks, and what I posted in this thread earlier. I'm not even remotely close to pushing a panic button, but it seems like the expectations here are growing. And they probably should be. But, if we want to get at or near our ceiling this year, this singular stat/focus is going to tell the story.

Even with all the other things in our favor that should lead to a successful season, you cannot sustain this level of non-success for an entire season and think you're going to have a great offense. This simply MUST improve.

Think about this. FIVE out of TWENTY-EIGHT runs were successful plays. FIVE. This is what Lashlee is saying. You're not beating Clemson like this, you're not beating Notre Dame like this, etc. I'm not trying to downplay the offense in its entirety. The difference between last year and this year is literally night and day. But there is a LOT of work to be done here. Louisville is a HORRIBLE defensive team. You're not going to be able to rip off 60 yarders against Clemson. You're not going to be able to pick up multiple 3rd and longs against good defenses.

So, let's all be excited. But I am SO interested to see what happens this Saturday. We haven't been able to run the ball successfully against FSU in eons. And I fully, FULLY expect to win this game Saturday. But it's mainly because their offense continues to be shockingly awful. I have the utmost confidence that their offense is not going to turn this game into a track meet. But I'm 500x more interested to see how well we hold up against their DL. Can we be successful on more than 5 out of 28 runs? Can we stay ahead of the chains? This is a much, much bigger test for the offensive line than we've seen the past 2 weeks.
It’s definitely too early to hit the panic button. A 2-game sample size is both too small to panic or to celebrate, but the positive of what we saw was we finally seem have an OC that knows how to scheme.

Pound it down UABs throat to get some film out there. The following week? A false step or 2 by King has the whole back 7 sucked in, and Knighton goes 75 easily. So many of us complained that there was no rythem or identify to our offense under Enos or Richt. So far, it seems like there is now.

Now, does that mean that even if L’Ville stacks the box, we should only have 5/28 grade successful? Absolutely not. Their D was abysmal last year, and our OL should be able to handle them. But hopefully it was part of a bigger plan, with the ultimate goal to attack the opponents weakness while being balanced, yet unpredictable.

And we still have King, which is the ultimate wild card. He can’t do it by himself, but he can (Hopefully) bail us out enough to win the close games we’ve been losing for the last decade.

Advertisement
It’s definitely too early to hit the panic button. A 2-game sample size is both too small to panic or to celebrate, but the positive of what we saw was we finally seem have an OC that knows how to scheme.

Pound it down UABs throat to get some film out there. The following week? A false step or 2 by King has the whole back 7 sucked in, and Knighton goes 75 easily. So many of us complained that there was no rythem or identify to our offense under Enos or Richt. So far, it seems like there is now.

Now, does that mean that even if L’Ville stacks the box, we should only have 5/28 grade successful? Absolutely not. Their D was abysmal last year, and our OL should be able to handle them. But hopefully it was part of a bigger plan, with the ultimate goal to attack the opponents weakness while being balanced, yet unpredictable.

And we still have King, which is the ultimate wild card. He can’t do it by himself, but he can (Hopefully) bail us out enough to win the close games we’ve been losing for the last decade.

There is a lot to be said about this, and you're right. For years, we've all screamed for "rational coaching". Well, UAB has a good pass defense and we struggled mightily running the ball last year, so the staff comes out and tried to make a statement just pounding it down their gullets.

The next week, Louisville inexplicably plays their entire defense within 7 yards of the LOS for the whole game (and just simply forgets to cover people at times), so King throws for 325. Hey...rational coaching. The old "take what the defense gives you"....insert your cliché here.

So yes, you're right, and at the end of the day nobody is arguing with almost 40 a game. I'm absolutely thrilled from what I've seen. But those of who are really trying to dissect this thing do have a right to have some pause, and for further validation, our OC shares the same sentiments. Happy, but nowhere near satisfied. This team must run the ball more successfully in order to really reach our loftiest goals, and I truly do think with how dynamic and polished King is, with a bounce here or there Miami can win 10 games and at least give Clemson a run. But you just can't bank on being THIS explosive for an entire season as the competition increases when your success rates are as poor as they've been. The OL needs to gel, and quickly.

There is a lot to be said about this, and you're right. For years, we've all screamed for "rational coaching". Well, UAB has a good pass defense and we struggled mightily running the ball last year, so the staff comes out and tried to make a statement just pounding it down their gullets.

The next week, Louisville inexplicably plays their entire defense within 7 yards of the LOS for the whole game (and just simply forgets to cover people at times), so King throws for 325. Hey...rational coaching. The old "take what the defense gives you"....insert your cliché here.

So yes, you're right, and at the end of the day nobody is arguing with almost 40 a game. I'm absolutely thrilled from what I've seen. But those of who are really trying to dissect this thing do have a right to have some pause, and for further validation, our OC shares the same sentiments. Happy, but nowhere near satisfied. This team must run the ball more successfully in order to really reach our loftiest goals, and I truly do think with how dynamic and polished King is, with a bounce here or there Miami can win 10 games and at least give Clemson a run. But you just can't bank on being THIS explosive for an entire season as the competition increases when your success rates are as poor as they've been. The OL needs to gel, and quickly.
We are in 100% agreement.

Prior to the season, I circled Pitt as a potential loss. Not only do we play them the week after Clemson (let down spot), but they are physical defensively. 2 all-ACC DLmen and one of the top safety duos in the nation. Coincidentally, they finished in the top 5 last year in containing explosive runs. Pitt is the type of team that can give us fits.

This weekend will be telling. If we continue to hang 40 with a talent deficient OL and WR unit, then Lashlee will have the full attention of the entire country. We can continue to install and clean some things up during the bye week.

Finally, a coach with high standards. The worst thing coaches can do is spend too much time patting players or themselves on the back.
The standard should be perfection. That way when we inevitably fall short as every team does, we are still very good.

Advertisement
He chewed some *** after having to burn a timeout on a formation mishap. I liked that a lot.
I loved it. You rarely see best friend players coach Diaz do it. Lashlee they love, and he can ream that ***. The greatest part about it was that it was not at a crucial point where it was a big deal if the timeout was called or not. It was the principle of the thing to coach them for a time when the TO would be crucial.

That’s what real coaching is..

Yes I hated that call. But it probably helped set up the long Rooster TD in the 3rd quarter (he called a King QB run on the play in question).
You may be right. Or, if the play had busted for a long TD we’d love the call.

thing is, we're not asking for Santana Moss or Andre Johnson, just make some routine catches, get down, and hand that ball back to the officials as fast as possible to spot the ball for the next play
Pope and Harley failed to do that consistently enough on Saturday
It's why sometimes you need to throw speed and potential out the window and play the guys that run good routes and catch the **** ball.

Advertisement
He's way above everybody that Manny brought in. Completely different caliber of coach, as are the offensive assistants he brought in.
Good to hear about the assistants. Thanks for that.

Not surprising but Lashlee is as advertised.

Louisville’s defense is pathetic but we were doing whatever we wanted out there if you take away some penalties and drops, that was a thorough beat down.

Of course the penalties are on him but with such little prep time for the year it’s good to see us like this. I expect we will be clicking as the season rolls along.

It's why sometimes you need to throw speed and potential out the window and play the guys that run good routes and catch the **** ball.
I don’t disagree at all I’m just chuckling because all we’ve heard for years is people *****ing about this same concept

I'm just glad he is willing to say it instead of vomiting a bunch of stats trying to prove how good the O is and that fans just don't understand.

Advertisement
Beats dancing on the side lines when you are down by 3 TDs.... if only we could get a DC version of Lashlee..

He's 100% correct. The offense has absolutely been inefficient.

I stole this from Bill Connelly: "Of the 52 FBS teams who have played so far, Miami ranks 42nd in success rate. That's 8% below the national average".

For those of you who do not know how a "successful" play is defined, it's this:

Gaining at least 50% of the necessary yardage for a 1st down on 1st down
Gaining at least 70% of the necessary yardage for a 1st down on 2nd down (aka if it's 2nd and 10, and you gain 6 yards or less, that's unsuccessful. If you gain 7 yards or more, it is successful. The premise being leaving yourself a manageable situation on the next down)
Gaining 100% of the necessary yardage for a 1st down on 3rd down

So, in those situations, we're 8% below the national yardage. Meaning, we are inconsistent and not gaining enough yardage on a high enough percentage of our plays.

Now, the offense has been good, hasn't it?? Yes. So if we're inefficient, how can we also be good?

Well, the explosive plays have been off the charts. Through 2 games, we have eight plays of 30+ yards, including 3 plays of 60+ yards. That's incredible. Take this as an example. In 2019, Oklahoma State led the country in plays of 60+ yards. They had 12 of them. In 13 games. We have 3 in 2 games. That's probably unsustainable. We'd like to think it is, but history says once we start playing better defenses, we're not going to be ripping off 60 yard plays very often.

So how do you continue to have a successful offense if/(when?) the explosive plays regress to the mean? You do exactly what Lashlee is saying. You become more efficient. You have more "successful" plays. And you do that by being better in the run game. It's been feast or famine so far. If we really expect to make national noise this year, we have GOT to be better play to play running the football. 1 yard, 2 yards, -1 yard, 67 yards is fun...but it's not sustainable for success against good teams. Lashlee knows his offense and these numbers/metrics better than anyone else. It's not surprising to me in the least that he's saying the offense has been inconsistent. He's 100% correct.

But, it's fun to be making these comments at 2-0, isn't it?
The points made on here about offensive efficiency are excellent, and that is the next big issue the coaches need to address. The Offensive coaches have done a great job so far, and they have exceeded my expectations, but offensive efficiency must be corrected. The great thing about this is that this offensive efficiency problem can be corrected.

I think a lot of it has to do with so many new starters getting to know each other, especially the new offensive linemen. Run blocking has seen its moments, but the consistency is definitely lacking. WR drops and penalties have also been issues. IMHO, this should improve as the Canes teammates gel and get to know one another. The coaches will also make sure they concentrate more, play more consistent and win their individual battles.

He is just speaking facts. Efficiency, also known as Success Rate, is defined as picking up at least 50% of the necessary yards to pick up a first down/score TD on 1st down, 70% on 2nd down, & 100% on 3rd and 4th down.

I don’t recall our numbers, but I heard them on a podcast and we weren’t efficient.

We were, however, extremely explosive (yards/points per play). What this means is we are getting Behind the sticks a lot and putting ourselves in bad positions. 2nd & 8, 3rd and 6, etc. King was great and bailed us out. Against better defenses, we need to clean that up and not rely on big plays to bail us out cause it’s not gonna continue happening, statistically speaking.
This is the area of concern with our offense. Not sure yet if it is attributable to Lashlee/scheme, or a lack of talent on the OL.

I haven’t seen the data yet, but I know we were in 3rd and forever all night and only had 9 first downs. A focused Clemson team is an outlier, and as I predicted it didn’t turn out well. But this will be a huge test going forward.

The blueprint is now there. Make our WRs beat you. Can we make adjustments so we aren’t continuously behind the sticks? We shall see.

1602440030929.png

Advertisement
Back