My God at this Lashlee quote

I like this quote, these are the games that give Saban wet dreams. Comfortable win, but plenty of penalties and missed plays so he won't be too happy at practice for the week and can maintain the team's focus.

Advertisement
If these receivers can step up and be more consistent watch out. Likens/Lashlee need to focus on that unit, coach them ruthlessly until they start producing at a level we need. But I have a feeling we're mainly seeing only upperclassmen receivers due to Manny, I really think restrepo & smith if given proper chance would out produce harley & pope.

Advertisement
If these receivers can step up and be more consistent watch out. Likens/Lashlee need to focus on that unit, coach them ruthlessly until they start producing at a level we need. But I have a feeling we're mainly seeing only upperclassmen receivers due to Manny, I really think restrepo & smith if given proper chance would out produce harley & pope.
Sucks how everything played out, our original schedule would of had a month before a real first game to get the young guys in game reps and confidence.. this schedule we are out the gate with a month of tough Atlantic opponents..

Sucks how everything played out, our original schedule would of had a month before a real first game to get the young guys in game reps and confidence.. this schedule we are out the gate with a month of tough Atlantic opponents..
Lol

let’s not forget we had Spring football cancelled, too. That would’ve had monumental benefits for our timing on offense. But it looks like they’re getting their legs under them which is very promising.

Definitely agree, but currently it is the best division in the P5, wouldn't you agree?
It's not significantly better than any other division and it certainly doesn't breed a winning mindset in coaches.

Successful, ambitious coaches know the blueprint regardless of whether they're coaching at Alabama or UTEP.

Advertisement
Knowing this admins propensity to hiring coordinators from failed regimes... maybe they’ll get this one right accidentally.

I bet he secretly hates Baker.

Just like Manny, as DC - wanted out of UM because if the Defense didn't win the games - we lost.

Not fair to defense for Offense to do squat - and defense to be on field the entire game.

Now it's reversed - Defense not performing even close to the offense - no adjustments - especially after opponent adjusted.

We just need a clever, knowing DC that does more - with LESS.

thats real coaching and leadership, right there

You give that 2002 team this type of guy, and trust me, that teams blows out teams every week by 5 TD's.

To be great, you have to have the ability or willingness to never be satisfied or content

I love this message from Netflix Lashlee
We might have to start calling him Amazon Prime Lashlee. Lol

Advertisement
He's way above everybody that Manny brought in. Completely different caliber of coach, as are the offensive assistants he brought in.
Lashlee is used to coaching in the SEC. He’s the only assistant w/ big time coaching exposure, if I’m not mistaken. Diaz coached in the SEC for a time, but it was for MSU (a team in the SEC by default. Lol)

And the next play, on 3rd down near midfield a minute in the half, he ran the ball. We, of course, punted.

I’m not being critical, I just thought it was an odd play call after all that screaming. Maybe he thought the offense wasn’t focused and took the conservative route.

He is precise and has demanding standards.
Yes I hated that call. But it probably helped set up the long Rooster TD in the 3rd quarter (he called a King QB run on the play in question).

He is just speaking facts. Efficiency, also known as Success Rate, is defined as picking up at least 50% of the necessary yards to pick up a first down/score TD on 1st down, 70% on 2nd down, & 100% on 3rd and 4th down.

I don’t recall our numbers, but I heard them on a podcast and we weren’t efficient.

We were, however, extremely explosive (yards/points per play). What this means is we are getting Behind the sticks a lot and putting ourselves in bad positions. 2nd & 8, 3rd and 6, etc. King was great and bailed us out. Against better defenses, we need to clean that up and not rely on big plays to bail us out cause it’s not gonna continue happening, statistically speaking.
1600793143372.png

Advertisement
I know sometimes even a good defense will struggle - NE Patriots were one of the best last year and just gave up 5 TDs to Russell Wilson. There are just some teams and players that are going to score- you can slow them down but not shut them down. That's why you also need an offense that is good enough to win a shootout in those games. I think LSU - Clemson is another good example. Both outstanding defenses, but Clemson gave up almost 630 yards. LSU gave up almost 400. It's not realistic to think you can win 24-17. My issue is that I don't think UL's offense is so good that Miami couldnt have held them under 28 points. Maybe some of it was the refs, but a lot was just bad defensive calls (the delayed blitzes) and poor play.

I was just reading this same tweet and came here to share it.

This is EXACTLY what I've been saying for the last 2 weeks, and what I posted in this thread earlier. I'm not even remotely close to pushing a panic button, but it seems like the expectations here are growing. And they probably should be. But, if we want to get at or near our ceiling this year, this singular stat/focus is going to tell the story.

Even with all the other things in our favor that should lead to a successful season, you cannot sustain this level of non-success for an entire season and think you're going to have a great offense. This simply MUST improve.

Think about this. FIVE out of TWENTY-EIGHT runs were successful plays. FIVE. This is what Lashlee is saying. You're not beating Clemson like this, you're not beating Notre Dame like this, etc. I'm not trying to downplay the offense in its entirety. The difference between last year and this year is literally night and day. But there is a LOT of work to be done here. Louisville is a HORRIBLE defensive team. You're not going to be able to rip off 60 yarders against Clemson. You're not going to be able to pick up multiple 3rd and longs against good defenses.

So, let's all be excited. But I am SO interested to see what happens this Saturday. We haven't been able to run the ball successfully against FSU in eons. And I fully, FULLY expect to win this game Saturday. But it's mainly because their offense continues to be shockingly awful. I have the utmost confidence that their offense is not going to turn this game into a track meet. But I'm 500x more interested to see how well we hold up against their DL. Can we be successful on more than 5 out of 28 runs? Can we stay ahead of the chains? This is a much, much bigger test for the offensive line than we've seen the past 2 weeks.

Advertisement
Back