My God at this Lashlee quote

Imagine if we ever get some quality WRs and can average more than 3 yards on 40 called inside run plays

Advertisement
While getting explosive plays, he didn't like inability to sustain drives. "Inefficient and inconsistent" Rhett Lashlee says of offense.

if this is inconsistent (looking at our WR’s), wait until we start firing on all cylinders.

View attachment 131213
And he's absolutely right. We made big plays and that is great but we were inefficient and inconsistent regarding our ability to sustain drives. That will come and I'm confident about that because of the leadership I see from Lashlee. We could have easily hung a 60 burger on those dopes. We can't leave points on the field like that.

**** I finally just started watching the game over. Y’all ain’t notice in the first minute of the game how much he was going off.....like he was HOT! I saw that fire and was like “well he’s not here for the fucck ****”
I’ve met coach. Nicest guy ever til it’s time to coach then it’s all business , Wait til you see how fired up he is for FSU. He hates losing with a passion and if he must lose he’s gonna go out shooting

Imagine if we ever get some quality WRs and can average more than 3 yards on 40 called inside run plays
thing is, we're not asking for Santana Moss or Andre Johnson, just make some routine catches, get down, and hand that ball back to the officials as fast as possible to spot the ball for the next play
Pope and Harley failed to do that consistently enough on Saturday

Advertisement
I bet he secretly hates Baker.
If the defense blows a lead later on in the season, watch out. We might get a reverse Buddy Ryan.

Baker drives me absoutely crazy with all those delayed/exotic blitzes.

And I get it; you wanna generate pressure in different angles/timing to force the offense to react to you and not to them.

But if your guys aren't getting there, what's the point?

I know we all hate this name, but with Rhett running this offense, we can see how bad that **** Dan Enos was.
pro style bro offense had these dudes acting like maggot brain zombies.. Alot of people dont watch college ball and see how easy offense is for some people.. I will never forget people alway talking about how nice a drive that opening drive against UF was.. Like bruh we didnt even score a TD on that opening drive, we got a fg! Low standards be gone!

We dropped 40+ and HC and OC on down was talking about how disappointed they were at leaving points on field, thats what I like! We expect to score EVERY DAM TIME!

Accountability is everything. It’s amazing what a coach can do when they hold themselves and their players accountable. On Defense, you get excuses. Díaz practically said (without saying it) yards don’t matter when asked about the Defensive performance.

So Diaz doesn't hold himself accountable on defense yet gets no credit for firing his entire offensive staff after one year?

The notion about yards mattering works if you have the mental capacity of a sixth grader. Yards per play is obviously a far stronger metric.

Did the D give up too many points? Yeah. Was it the second game on a D full of guys starting for the first time here after the weirdest offseason in history? Also, yeah.

Advertisement
I bet he secretly hates Baker.

Not predicating this on this week, but on aggregate, Baker just lacks a certain intensity that I'd like to see, that Lashlee and Diaz both have. He's just got this "awwww shucks I'm just a good ol' Southern boy" air about him that doesn't scream "knock someones f@#%ing head off today."

Not predicating this on this week, but on aggregate, Baker just lacks a certain intensity that I'd like to see, that Lashlee and Diaz both have. He's just got this "awwww shucks I'm just a good ol' Southern boy" air about him that doesn't scream "knock someones f@#%ing head off today."
Diaz has no intensity in his little body at all.

Advertisement
He is just speaking facts. Efficiency, also known as Success Rate, is defined as picking up at least 50% of the necessary yards to pick up a first down/score TD on 1st down, 70% on 2nd down, & 100% on 3rd and 4th down.

I don’t recall our numbers, but I heard them on a podcast and we weren’t efficient.

We were, however, extremely explosive (yards/points per play). What this means is we are getting Behind the sticks a lot and putting ourselves in bad positions. 2nd & 8, 3rd and 6, etc. King was great and bailed us out. Against better defenses, we need to clean that up and not rely on big plays to bail us out cause it’s not gonna continue happening, statistically speaking.

Advertisement
He is just speaking facts. Efficiency, also known as Success Rate, is defined as picking up at least 50% of the necessary yards to pick up a first down/score TD on 1st down, 70% on 2nd down, & 100% on 3rd and 4th down.

I don’t recall our numbers, but I heard them on a podcast and we weren’t efficient.

We were, however, extremely explosive (yards/points per play). What this means is we are getting Behind the sticks a lot and putting ourselves in bad positions. 2nd & 8, 3rd and 6, etc. King was great and bailed us out. Against better defenses, we need to clean that up and not rely on big plays to bail us out cause it’s not gonna continue happening, statistically speaking.
Diaz is ALL about this stuff, YPP, "hidden yards" in special teams and how it affects teams, explosive plays, Negative plays (tfl/turnovers), that link is probably his homepage. His defensive philosophy is built on it and he mentions making teams drive length of field on his defense all the time

He's 100% correct. The offense has absolutely been inefficient.

I stole this from Bill Connelly: "Of the 52 FBS teams who have played so far, Miami ranks 42nd in success rate. That's 8% below the national average".

For those of you who do not know how a "successful" play is defined, it's this:

Gaining at least 50% of the necessary yardage for a 1st down on 1st down
Gaining at least 70% of the necessary yardage for a 1st down on 2nd down (aka if it's 2nd and 10, and you gain 6 yards or less, that's unsuccessful. If you gain 7 yards or more, it is successful. The premise being leaving yourself a manageable situation on the next down)
Gaining 100% of the necessary yardage for a 1st down on 3rd down

So, in those situations, we're 8% below the national yardage. Meaning, we are inconsistent and not gaining enough yardage on a high enough percentage of our plays.

Now, the offense has been good, hasn't it?? Yes. So if we're inefficient, how can we also be good?

Well, the explosive plays have been off the charts. Through 2 games, we have eight plays of 30+ yards, including 3 plays of 60+ yards. That's incredible. Take this as an example. In 2019, Oklahoma State led the country in plays of 60+ yards. They had 12 of them. In 13 games. We have 3 in 2 games. That's probably unsustainable. We'd like to think it is, but history says once we start playing better defenses, we're not going to be ripping off 60 yard plays very often.

So how do you continue to have a successful offense if/(when?) the explosive plays regress to the mean? You do exactly what Lashlee is saying. You become more efficient. You have more "successful" plays. And you do that by being better in the run game. It's been feast or famine so far. If we really expect to make national noise this year, we have GOT to be better play to play running the football. 1 yard, 2 yards, -1 yard, 67 yards is fun...but it's not sustainable for success against good teams. Lashlee knows his offense and these numbers/metrics better than anyone else. It's not surprising to me in the least that he's saying the offense has been inconsistent. He's 100% correct.

But, it's fun to be making these comments at 2-0, isn't it?

Advertisement
Back