Must Listen: Alonzo Highsmith on OBB podcast

Hey, let's hire two guys with little relevant experience to the jobs they would hold. Gino has never worked in collegiate athletics outside of an announcing gig. Zo hasn't worked in a college atmosphere since he graduated, over 30 years ago. Nothing can go wrong there. SC has been doing this for three decades with massive failure despite having more resources at their disposal. It's an ineffective management model.

This isn't complicated: HIRE EXPERIENCED, TALENTED PEOPLE AND LET THEM DO THEIR JOB. It doesn't have to be a Miami guy. Frankly, this athletic department has so much organizational inbreeding, it makes the Hapsburgs jealous. I want a new perspective, not a bunch of former letterwinners whining about there not being statues of their glory on campus.
What part of an AD role is Gino not qualified for? Serious question, because my understanding of the position leads me to think he would be great.

Do you really think Zo wouldn't kill it in a role that has him over hiring/firing coaches and scouting players?

Advertisement
You guys are being super literal lol...

Coker was a Butch’s OC, Shannon was a former Cane player & DC from Miami, Richt was also a former Cane from Boca Raton who hired Manny Diaz who’s also born & raised in Miami, was the DC & became the HC... Oh and he was the former Mayor of Miami’s son...

So again, my point is can we maybe once in Blue moon find someone that doesn’t have 6 degrees of separation from Miami? Now mind you, this is coming from someone who was also born & raised in Miami...

I’m just saying hiring Zo & Cristobal is basically more of the same, except with the idea that the two of them would be much better than the previous enclosed Miami moves & maybe they would be, but I’m saying why is that kinda move always the first thought, the first action? Are there any other regions we can hire from? Lol.
We can sure as **** hire a proven, competent-*** ************ from Senatobia, MS who doesn't give two ***** or a flying ****

If you removed Mario name. Just think you could get a coach who has won a P5 conference title and is ranked in the top 10? Everyone would say "yes bring him here".

Politicking by Zo. He wants it. I’m for it. I understand the concerns but how hard is the job if a bafoon like BJ is doing it? We haven’t had anyone in the program that actually cares for it in a long while.

Torretta Highsmith ‘22.

I think he's more than qualified for the job, but I'd much rather have Alonzo running the football program than be bogged down by the administrative responsibilities of being an AD. I would put him in a position of strong influence to do what he does best and not ask him to raise money for the rowing, golf, or tennis team.

Don Bailey Jr. would be an interesting hire for AD. He's been around the []__[] for a while and goes back to Schnellenberger, but also comes from a "respected family" in Miami that might give him a leg-up in getting the community/boosters behind the program. I think Don's persona, passion and emotion would make him a tremendous leader & fundraiser for athletics..

Mario for coach. Let the young bull of the trio do what he does best.

That would be my combo if I had a say..

Rather someone with true experience.

Advertisement

Rather someone with true experience.

Overrated. Blake James has plenty of "true-experience" and that doesn't help him.

No Way Reaction GIF

You need vision and people-skills. Plus, Don has all the lived-experience necessary to be Miami's AD; he's a tall, white man who's entrenched in the Hecht and talks about the Miami Hurricanes for money all day. Let that man do him...

Last edited:
Advertisement
What part of an AD role is Gino not qualified for? Serious question, because my understanding of the position leads me to think he would be great.

Do you really think Zo wouldn't kill it in a role that has him over hiring/firing coaches and scouting players?
The "Never worked in a collegiate athletic department" part is a huge obstacle. Especially when you are running an athletic department like Miami. Look at Gino's resume, and ask yourself the following question "If he wasn't a Miami letterwinner and Heisman winner, would I even schedule this guy for an interview for this position?" If you are being honest, the answer is NO. This is why this "Miami Guy Bro" nonsense has to end. Hire qualified people that aren't expected to learn on the job.

SC tried to do the same thing with Pat Haden and Lynn Swann. Two highly popular, intelligent former letterwinners that had found success in business/politics. They both failed, MISERABLY. That's at USC, a school with bottomless resources, a school that would be rolling in donations and attention even if a complete nobody was AD. If you are going to run a world class, professional athletic department, you must have a WORLD CLASS PROFESSIONAL running it. A world class professional is someone like Greg Byrne, a world class professional is someone like Bohn at USC. That's what you want to hire. You don't want to hire some ex jock, with little collegiate managerial experience and hand him the keys to a multimillion dollar enterprise.

Politicking by Zo. He wants it. I’m for it. I understand the concerns but how hard is the job if a bafoon like BJ is doing it? We haven’t had anyone in the program that actually cares for it in a long while.

Torretta Highsmith ‘22.
Just because Blake is incompetent, you don't double down by hiring people that are even less qualified than he was. Keep living in 1985, I'm shocked some of you haven't mentioned bringing back Sam*.

*Yes, I know Sam is no longer with us, but our fanbase loves to dwell in a time well over a decade before our current players were even BORN.

Advertisement
You again with this bull****.

Show us on the doll where Gino touched your girlfriend or mom, then tell us exactly what Blake James or any other AD for that matter does that a competent businessman wouldn't be able to do? You act like being an athletic director is doing brain surgery. There is a reason that ADs make 80% less than the coaches they hire.

The AD hires competent coaches and attorneys structure the contracts. The AD makes sure we stay on budget, with the help of an entire staff of accountants. The AD enters into scheduling agreements and attorneys draft the contracts. The AD executes on fundraising ... who better than two of the best ambassadors of the University including Gino having been the President of the Alumni Association.

You further show your ignorance with your comments on Alonzo. He has been in scouting and player personnel, including right now with the Seahawks, for the last 20 years and that job entails visiting nearly every major football university in the country, talking to coaches, watching film, and evaluating players. JFC you couldn't dream up a better candidate for an AD of Football position.
Absolutely ridiculous to hire Gino. No other school in America would consider as the full ad. We shouldn’t either.
a position as an associate ad? Sure.
dumbest fans

I’m curious as to what you, and others, think the qualifications are for an AD position.

An AD position for most P5 programs is not the same as an AD for a D2 or D3 school. The AD position for most P5 programs is more like a CEO than the traditional AD.

Alonzo could probably be successful at anything and many Senior Executive positions can transfer across many industries. But the AD for most P5 programs should really have experience.

Just because Blake is incompetent, you don't double down by hiring people that are even less qualified than he was. Keep living in 1985, I'm shocked some of you haven't mentioned bringing back Sam*.

*Yes, I know Sam is no longer with us, but our fanbase loves to dwell in a time well over a decade before our current players were even BORN.
Sometimes progress is made going back than moving forward when you realize going forward is not working. What Zo is saying is basic and what we are currently missing. He may not necessarily be the right guy but what he is saying works no matter in the last century or this one.

Advertisement
You guys are being super literal lol...

Coker was a Butch’s OC, Shannon was a former Cane player & DC from Miami, Richt was also a former Cane from Boca Raton who hired Manny Diaz who’s also born & raised in Miami, was the DC & became the HC... Oh and he was the former Mayor of Miami’s son...

So again, my point is can we maybe once in Blue moon find someone that doesn’t have 6 degrees of separation from Miami? Now mind you, this is coming from someone who was also born & raised in Miami...

I’m just saying hiring Zo & Cristobal is basically more of the same, except with the idea that the two of them would be much better than the previous enclosed Miami moves & maybe they would be, but I’m saying why is that kinda move always the first thought, the first action? Are there any other regions we can hire from? Lol.
You want to play six degrees of Kevin Bacon game. A guy who played at Miami 34 years ago barely qualifies as a Miami guy. A position coach who left Coral Gables in 2003 does not either. There is a lot of water under the bridge. I would hope they open up the aperture, but let's admit Miami-Dade is unique and it takes a big personality to make it work. I have no problem with Iceman if commits to 4 or 5 years.

Given his background as a player and extensive experience in scouting and management at the NFL, I’m convinced there is no better person to oversee Canes Football than Zo.

He embraces the challenges that Miami football faces instead of using them as excuses and crutches and he has the perfect no-nonsense,
Win or die mentality. With an understanding of what it takes to get there because he’s been there.

Man, this dude is all O & G. Fact is, dude was getting Canes drafted at every spot he’s been at just off Canes love. F being a manager of football; unlike Lynn Swann, who had zero executive experience, I believe Highsmith would be an excellent, EXCELLENT AD. He loves this school & have been tutored by some of brightest NFL execs that would bode well for him as an AD. He would get the fan base excited & of course boosters.
Exactly he’s not the typical “Miami Guy” hire.

He’s cut his teeth working in the executive ranks of the NFL.

This isn’t a guy who would be learning all of facets of the job once hired.

Why do guys keep saying this? Why is it, that if the guy is only over football, it becomes an issue for any good coach to come here? I don’t understand the logic. The football only guy would be conducting the search and hire that coach just as a conventional AD would. The football only guy would be sitting down with said coach to discuss scheduling just like the conventional AD would, the football only guy would ensure recruiting budget and other resources are competitive just like the conventional AD would. Why all of a sudden if its a football only guy, he us going to get involved in coaching decisions? One of the biggest responsibilities of the football only guy is to hire the right guy and pay millions to him so that THEY can COACH

It’s not an issue.

ASU is already using something like this.

Having a AD exclusively football wouldn’t hurt the coaching search. If anything it shows a true commitment to seeking a winning culture.

Advertisement
Back