Must Listen: Alonzo Highsmith on OBB podcast

Advertisement
It would take a strong head coach to bring him in, if he even wanted to come. Just the scouting experience he has would be huge, but the attitude it takes to get to that next level is what's been missing. It takes talent, attitude, and the coaching to put it to use. If any of those is missing, then you get what Miami has been for the past twenty years. They've had talent most of the time; enough at least to have consistently win the Coastal, but Highsmith is right. Winning the Coastal or the ACC should be the least of the goals.

It would take a strong head coach to bring him in, if he even wanted to come. Just the scouting experience he has would be huge, but the attitude it takes to get to that next level is what's been missing. It takes talent, attitude, and the coaching to put it to use. If any of those is missing, then you get what Miami has been for the past twenty years. They've had talent most of the time; enough at least to have consistently win the Coastal, but Highsmith is right. Winning the Coastal or the ACC should be the least of the goals.
Our goals are still in front of us!!! Excellent!

Advertisement
Listened this morning. Highly recommend, and came away much more convinced that Alonzo should be put in a managerial role of some kind with respect to football.
Man, this dude is all O & G. Fact is, dude was getting Canes drafted at every spot he’s been at just off Canes love. F being a manager of football; unlike Lynn Swann, who had zero executive experience, I believe Highsmith would be an excellent, EXCELLENT AD. He loves this school & have been tutored by some of brightest NFL execs that would bode well for him as an AD. He would get the fan base excited & of course boosters.

Last edited:
Listened this morning. Highly recommend, and came away much more convinced that Alonzo should be put in a managerial role of some kind with respect to football.

Will check out this eve—but was convinced of all of that years ago—as well as the fact that Manny is a beta that doesn't want this alpha anywhere near this program.

Dude hired the beta Blake Baker to run the defense, stepped in to "help" in 2019 when that side of the ball struggled, was bailed out late 2020 when LSU took him to coach linebackers—but instead of getting some veteran tough guy like a Jim Leavitt, Diaz "demotes" himself back to his old job, while taking a CEO salary—but not wanting to do a CEO's job.

The belief that only HE could coach up his defense—which has since forgotten how to tackle—is further proof he's not head coaching material.

Dead Manny Walking. Get this guy out of here. Give me 'Zo—as well as a new president, AD and BoT that doesn't have their egotistical heads shoved up their ignorant asses, which is the only way UM will ever land a competent head coach.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Man, this dude is all O & G. Fact is, dude was getting Canes drafted at every spot he’s been at just off Canes love. F being a manager of football; unlike Lynn Swann, who had zero executive experience, I believe Highsmith would be an excellent, EXCELLENT AD. He loves this school & have been tutored by some of brightest NFL execs that would bode well for him as a AD. He would get the fan base excited & of course boosters.
couldn't agree more has the expertise and he can hire a assistant AD, to handle a lot of issues as well.
let him hire the HC give him cash for assistants who can recruit and teach......

I should keep posting this till happens or doesnt.

1- Gino for AD
2- Zo for Footbal AD ( Call it what you want but he in charge)
3- Mario as HC

Oh, FIRE BLAKE
Hey, let's hire two guys with little relevant experience to the jobs they would hold. Gino has never worked in collegiate athletics outside of an announcing gig. Zo hasn't worked in a college atmosphere since he graduated, over 30 years ago. Nothing can go wrong there. SC has been doing this for three decades with massive failure despite having more resources at their disposal. It's an ineffective management model.

This isn't complicated: HIRE EXPERIENCED, TALENTED PEOPLE AND LET THEM DO THEIR JOB. It doesn't have to be a Miami guy. Frankly, this athletic department has so much organizational inbreeding, it makes the Hapsburgs jealous. I want a new perspective, not a bunch of former letterwinners whining about there not being statues of their glory on campus.

Alonzo politicking hard this time around, he's being smart about it
He knows our fanbase is like the Edmonton Oilers, Chicago Bears and Marty Mcfly: They live in 1985...I like Zo, but I want an experienced AD, and we arent going to get an AD worth a **** if we have a "Football Czar" . Why? Because real ADs want to have full oversight of their most important department.

Advertisement
One thing I take away from Zo's actions, he clearly wants the job. He's reaching out to media and putting in the time.

I still don't understand how a Football AD works or who he answers to but Zo has the clearest plan and vision we've had for this program since Butch.

He should answer to only the BOT and the UM President.

I don't know exactly how the org-chart will shake out, but if he's underneath Blake James that absolutely will not work.

I should keep posting this till happens or doesnt.

1- Gino for AD
2- Zo for Footbal AD ( Call it what you want but he in charge)
3- Mario as HC

Oh, FIRE BLAKE

243F80A3-19E8-4FF6-A5CA-E7103B3F98AF.jpeg

Advertisement
Back