Must Listen: Alonzo Highsmith on OBB podcast

I know a lot are throwing around some sort of football only AD for Alonzo, but there isn't any coach worth his salt going to come here and not be able to run his own show. How about just AD?

Advertisement
We who bleed Orange and Green, who support our alma mater, and care about its wellbeing (not just football), must keep up the pressure on the admin and BoT to do what is glaringly obvious. Let our voices be heard. Let our financial support, however big or minuscule, speak to our displeasure at how things are run. While football is not what it’s all about, athletics in general, have shown to be a major driver in academic enrollment and the financial health of any college institute. If it were not, CFB and college athletics would be dead long time ago. The likes of Alonzo (who I admire since his playing days) need to keep this up. We all need to keep this up. I heard an old saying, paraphrasing here, “Though water is softer than a rock, drop by drop, it can cut through it to form a river.” Be the drop, not the burger.

He knows our fanbase is like the Edmonton Oilers, Chicago Bears and Marty Mcfly: They live in 1985...I like Zo, but I want an experienced AD, and we arent going to get an AD worth a **** if we have a "Football Czar" . Why? Because real ADs want to have full oversight of their most important department.
Joke Drums GIF by Bax Music

Our goals are still in front of us!!! Excellent!
Sad, but I believe it's true. I don't think it's been Miami's goal to win a national championship for quite some time. Feels like winning the Coastal has been the primary goal. I understand the need to win the division is in line with winning the ACC and making the playoff, but I don't think they're looking that far ahead.

Alonzo politicking hard this time around, he's being smart about it
Yep. Other than his personally story, he didn’t say much. He started every statement with something about “in my time” or “me” “we” etc. He didn’t want to flat out say this team and coaching staff are soft and suck. He’s trying hard to get a job at Miami.

Love his understanding and prospective of the program. Would like to have him in the program. We need his help with scouting and vision.

Advertisement
He should answer to only the BOT and the UM President.

I don't know exactly how the org-chart will shake out, but if he's underneath Blake James that absolutely will not work.

I agree, he shouldn't answer to Blake, but if Gino is our next AD, why not have the Football AD answer to someone who has actual knowledge of Football. My worry is, our Football AD buddies up to his pals on our BOT (like we're currently seeing with Blake) and we end up in a similar position as we are today, we nobody holding anyone, except out players, accountable.

I absolutely love Zo and his vision. As a Canadian, I had no idea Zo use to live up in MTL. And I know alot of kids who had to make similar sacrifices at a young age to achieve their goals. I have the upmost respect for Alonzo Highsmith. But, we need to ensure this Football GM/AD position is structured correctly or I forsee another 'chef' in the kitchen, which could only make our HC position even less desirable. Also, I'm hoping Zo has some actual financial pull with this school because what he envisions requires a commitment($) that UM has never fully committed to.

The problem I have is you need Zo to have full control of AD or on par with an AD because he needs access and knowledge of the budget etc. It can’t be here Zo this is how much money you can spend. It wouldn’t work that way.

Man, this dude is all O & G. Fact is, dude was getting Canes drafted at every spot he’s been at just off Canes love. F being a manager of football; unlike Lynn Swann, who had zero executive experience, I believe Highsmith would be an excellent, EXCELLENT AD. He loves this school & have been tutored by some of brightest NFL execs that would bode well for him as a AD. He would get the fan base excited & of course boosters.
Gino/Zo for '22 like I've been calling for.

and to the clowns that constantly say no coach will come play for a guy that is his boss blah blah blah ..... just leave the hiring to Alonzo and he'll find the next Schnellenberger/Jimmie b/c he knows what that coach looks like.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Diaz would have brought himself some time is he would have agreed to bring in Zo. Just having this guy around and soaking up game could of made Diaz better at his job. The fact he told someone with Zo expertise gets “no thanks, I got this” should be on the list of his fireable offenses.

I know a lot are throwing around some sort of football only AD for Alonzo, but there isn't any coach worth his salt going to come here and not be able to run his own show. How about just AD?

Why do guys keep saying this? Why is it, that if the guy is only over football, it becomes an issue for any good coach to come here? I don’t understand the logic. The football only guy would be conducting the search and hire that coach just as a conventional AD would. The football only guy would be sitting down with said coach to discuss scheduling just like the conventional AD would, the football only guy would ensure recruiting budget and other resources are competitive just like the conventional AD would. Why all of a sudden if its a football only guy, he us going to get involved in coaching decisions? One of the biggest responsibilities of the football only guy is to hire the right guy and pay millions to him so that THEY can COACH

I agree the Football AD/GM/Czar, or whatever the title is, should report the President and BOT. Not the AD. Otherwise you've created an additonal layer not at most schools and one most HCs might reject.

There is no reason Blake could not be replaced by a skilled AD without football responsibilites. Not all schools are D1 football powers and the ADs at many these schools are easily qualified for the same position at The U. Someone running a succesful athletic program without football could be a benefit. They could focus on rebuilding the men's baseball, the men's and women's basketball programs, and other sports. Let Zo focus on football.

Advertisement
Hey, let's hire two guys with little relevant experience to the jobs they would hold. Gino has never worked in collegiate athletics outside of an announcing gig. Zo hasn't worked in a college atmosphere since he graduated, over 30 years ago. Nothing can go wrong there. SC has been doing this for three decades with massive failure despite having more resources at their disposal. It's an ineffective management model.

This isn't complicated: HIRE EXPERIENCED, TALENTED PEOPLE AND LET THEM DO THEIR JOB. It doesn't have to be a Miami guy. Frankly, this athletic department has so much organizational inbreeding, it makes the Hapsburgs jealous. I want a new perspective, not a bunch of former letterwinners whining about there not being statues of their glory on campus.
You again with this bull****.

Show us on the doll where Gino touched your girlfriend or mom, then tell us exactly what Blake James or any other AD for that matter does that a competent businessman wouldn't be able to do? You act like being an athletic director is doing brain surgery. There is a reason that ADs make 80% less than the coaches they hire.

The AD hires competent coaches and attorneys structure the contracts. The AD makes sure we stay on budget, with the help of an entire staff of accountants. The AD enters into scheduling agreements and attorneys draft the contracts. The AD executes on fundraising ... who better than two of the best ambassadors of the University including Gino having been the President of the Alumni Association.

You further show your ignorance with your comments on Alonzo. He has been in scouting and player personnel, including right now with the Seahawks, for the last 20 years and that job entails visiting nearly every major football university in the country, talking to coaches, watching film, and evaluating players. JFC you couldn't dream up a better candidate for an AD of Football position.

Last edited:
Why do guys keep saying this? Why is it, that if the guy is only over football, it becomes an issue for any good coach to come here? I don’t understand the logic. The football only guy would be conducting the search and hire that coach just as a conventional AD would. The football only guy would be sitting down with said coach to discuss scheduling just like the conventional AD would, the football only guy would ensure recruiting budget and other resources are competitive just like the conventional AD would. Why all of a sudden if its a football only guy, he us going to get involved in coaching decisions? One of the biggest responsibilities of the football only guy is to hire the right guy and pay millions to him so that THEY can COACH
Exactly. We have the MOPE crowd and now the DOPE crowd all over this board.

Advertisement
Sad, but I believe it's true. I don't think it's been Miami's goal to win a national championship for quite some time. Feels like winning the Coastal has been the primary goal. I understand the need to win the division is in line with winning the ACC and making the playoff, but I don't think they're looking that far ahead.
Baby steps..you can’t win the NC without qualifying for the CFB playoffs and you can’t qualify for CFB Playoffs without winning the ACCCG which starts by winning the coastal…..baby steps..

Listening to that man speak in OBB - how do you not want him running your program? He has the experience & success to his name that kids can’t look at him and say “whatever!!”

Need him running this program’s football team.

1634326896440.gif

shout out to the OBB for this podcast. Really great listening to Alonzo tell his story, etc...

Alonzo gives a great interview, but the boys missed a great opportunity to ask him about the rumors going around. More importantly I’d have liked to hear him discuss his ideas about what needs to be done to fix the program.

Advertisement
Back