Must Listen: Alonzo Highsmith on OBB podcast

Advertisement
There are points I agree with on both fronts here, but will try to sum it up as succinctly as possible:

1) Gino and Alonzo have done very well and certainly bring the right personal and professional qualities to the table. If you're asking me whether I'd sign off on Blake's dismissal, and those two to replace the current AD role (in some capacity of divided responsibility), of course I'd rubber stamp that. We'd be better off than we are now; but

2) At the same time, I don't think it's a slam dunk that either is a great success, whether as an AD or college football-only administrator. I fully recognize that NO ONE is a sure thing, and they are vastly more capable humans than Blake, but I have a tough time seeing either as the next Sam Jankovich.

But Blake needs to go and I'm at a point where I'll accept something considerably below a wild dream.

Whoever is the AD is one thing is for sure they have got to be a self starter. Becuase the admins are going to had you a budget and tell you you’re own your own.

And whatever Standards you allow. So be it.

Just keep us out the news and keep kids graduating.

Exactly he’s not the typical “Miami Guy” hire.

He’s cut his teeth working in the executive ranks of the NFL.

This isn’t a guy who would be learning all of facets of the job once hired.
Actually, he would. Why? Because being an NFL personnel guy is different from running a collegiate program. It's even more different than running an entire collegiate athletic department. Never mind the fact that this "Football Czar" business is a gimmick, most ADs worth a **** will want to either bring their own administrator to serve as a conduit, or they will want to have oversight themselves, alongside the head coach. Why? Because football is the revenue center for the department, and most competent managers want to have as much contact with their revenue center as circumstances would allow. Head coaches also want to have as little bureaucracy between themselves and their boss as humanly possible.

Alonzo is an intelligent guy, who most likely should be a GM sooner than later. That said, an NFL GM and a Collegiate AD are two different jobs.

Whoever is the AD is one thing is for sure they have got to be a self starter. Becuase the admins are going to had you a budget and tell you you’re own your own.

And whatever Standards you allow. So be it.

Just keep us out the news and keep kids graduating.
That's how it is at most places. The Athletic Department is treated as a separate entity and the people in charge of it(Administrators) and the people that fund it(Boosters) are given wide berth in managing said department. ADs usually lose their jobs at most schools once they become unable to fundraise, due to consistent failure. Once an AD loses the boosters(or gets busted doing something that brings embarrassment to the University itself), they are screwed. Once they lose that political cover, then the people on the governing board, that give a **** about sports step in and do what needs to be done. This isn't complicated. This isn't anything new. Why is it that people on this board can't figure this stuff out?

Exactly he’s not the typical “Miami Guy” hire.

He’s cut his teeth working in the executive ranks of the NFL.

This isn’t a guy who would be learning all of facets of the job once hired.
Didn’t know he actually came from Canada

Advertisement
Everyone is going about this wrong Zo for AD and if he feels like Gino would be a good Assoc AD so be it. I think Geno would be a good/great fundraiser. He seems to like the smooshing. But get Zo in there and let him hire who he wants. Guy has been in NFL offices for 25 years and is capable of hiring staff. Inam with other posters saying fk GM. Make him AD. I listened to the pod this morning and it seems like he has a vision of what it should look like and most importantly wants the job, and has PASSION about it

Listened to it last night and could not figure out why so many here were gushing over it. Highsmith came off like a good dude who has been in the football industry his entire career but I did not glean anything from that interview that would lead me to believe he'd be an elite hire as an Athletic Director.

The first half hour was him rehashing stories that were in the 30 for 30 documentary. To me, the most interesting part was the fact that he was living on his own in high school after his parents sent him down from Canada.

Finally got a chance to listen to this. Great interview and this is the guy we need. He agreed with what I have been saying for years. Miami’s talent level is equal to the rest of the Coastal. No one wants to believe that, but he said it. This is an experienced scout. Until we have 5 or 6 first rounders on our squad at all times, i don’t want to hear this nonsense that we have superior talent.

Advertisement
Wouldn't shock me if Zo was here 3-5 years develops the personel department current staff and helps hire some folks and parlays that into a GM or Presidnent role for a team like the Dolphins. Also wouldn't surprise me that was part of his personal plans over the decade.

Wouldn't shock me if Zo was here 3-5 years develops the personel department current staff and helps hire some folks and parlays that into a GM or Presidnent role for a team like the Dolphins. Also wouldn't surprise me that was part of his personal plans over the decade.
That depends on what Zo is looking for at this point of his career... He had a long stint in the NFL as a player and Exec. Doing very well for himself in the process both financially and as far as contacts and such go....
If by chance the NFL called him with a GM opportunity in a year or two does he take it??? Or is he at the point where he just wants to finish his career here at home with a lot less stress on his hands?? And this is not to say that working here isn't going to have bumps in the road but I believe it's a lot less to deal with than the NFL....
From things I've heard him say as of late in interviews it seems he really wants to put all his efforts into turning this program around for the long haul... And I don't mean by him being here 10+ years but setting us up to be successful for 10+ years and beyond.....
If he's able to get this ship right with all the others that are involved (Mario , Rad and such) it would be a great way to close out his career... Cause that's what we've all wanted for the longest time now... A happy ending.

Advertisement
Back