Must Listen: Alonzo Highsmith on OBB podcast

Alonzo gives a great interview, but the boys missed a great opportunity to ask him about the rumors going around. More importantly I’d have liked to hear him discuss his ideas about what needs to be done to fix the program.
There is 10 minutes not on the general podcast that is available only to their "patreon" members. that's their private chat group. Kind of a perk for a small fee.

Advertisement
I think an experienced AD with Highsmith as Football ops Chief (FOC) is good. I don't like the idea of Gino AND Highsmith being the AD and FOC and both being brand new to CFB athletics administration. How about an experienced AD (Jurich) , Gino as assistant AD (like Meyer was at OSU) , and Highsmith as FOC? Strawley doesn't bring any value to the organization so she can be moved to AAD of Title IX compliance or some such nonsense where her ability to do harm is minimized.

I found Zo’s story on schnellenberger selling his vision and recruiting the homegrown talent to be interesting. Because of bags and pay to play in modern CFB we might not ever have another Howard schnellenberger who can sell kids a vision against Bama and Clemson. But I truly believe for this team to reach the heights and potential of our days, our next coach must be a dog of a recruiter. ND, Michigan, Bama and Oklahoma. Some are bag schools but the truth is they will always be what they are, blue blood schools, they will win recruits even without bags. we need a coach like that. Someone who can keep up on the recruiting end. Whether that’s Mario or not.

Alonzo gives a great interview, but the boys missed a great opportunity to ask him about the rumors going around. More importantly I’d have liked to hear him discuss his ideas about what needs to be done to fix the program.
Need to read between the lines. They said Gino made the introduction to get him on the show.

It may very well have been pre-determined to avoid certain issues for obvious reasons - possibly letting cats out of the bag. I can’t imagine the questions not being vetted by Zo beforehand.

Advertisement
This 1,000x...

That’s the only thing that brings me some trepidation about Zo as AD, it will all but guarantee we’ll hire another former Cane as HC & while that will make a large % of our fan base very happy I’m uncertain that’s really the solution to our problems in the long term.

We’ve become too overly homogenous as a program, everything & everyone always has to have some kinda connection to Miami or else they’re just no good & that’s bordering on insanity IMO. There are people who probably wouldn’t want Lincoln Riley here because he didn’t play at The U or didn’t coach here under Butch lol (I’m half joking but you get my point)...

Miami’s problem is systemic from the top down & the only way to fix it is to bring in people who are not skewed with too much nostalgic bias or just plain stuck in the yesteryear of Canes lore. The obsession of returning to 80’s & the Glory years of the Canes dynasty is a big part of the problem, the game has evolved far beyond what it once was back then & we still haven’t caught up to the times. The most successful programs in college right now all have the same two things in common, forward thinking & spending money, two things Miami refuses to do.

I love Zo & Torretta & all the old school Canes & all the great memories & I’m not saying that Zo isn’t qualified to be an AD or wouldn’t do a good job here, I’m just saying, at some point if we ever really want to get back to being a competitive program we have to sincerely examine what we keep doing wrong & start the doing the opposite & that might include restructure the entire method of operation by allowing outsiders who have no connection to the school to come in & do reconstructive surgery on the program.

That’s blasphemous to say amongst Canes fans I know, but USC & Texas used to have this exact same problem of only ever going after “their guys” to run the program both in Administration & as coaches & it stagnated them for years. You could argue that the overly localized mentality is still negatively impacting their program right now, but at least USC went with an outsider for their AD & will be bringing in a new HC by year’s end & Texas went outside of their realm bringing in Sark & giving him a bolstered staff, they have a bright future ahead of them as the transition from the last regime.

It just feels like we’re stuck in this permanent loop of trying to recreate something that never will be recreated.

This 1,000x...

That’s the only thing that brings me some trepidation about Zo as AD, it will all but guarantee we’ll hire another former Cane as HC & while that will make a large % of our fan base very happy I’m uncertain that’s really the solution to ur problems in the long term.

We’ve become too overly homogenous as a program, everything & everyone always has to have some kinda connection to Miami or else they’re just no good & that’s bordering on insanity IMO. There are people who probably wouldn’t want Lincoln Riley here because he didn’t play at The U or didn’t coach here under Butch lol (I’m half joking but you get my point)...

Miami’s problem is systemic from the top down & the only way to fix it is to bring in people who are not skewed with too much nostalgic bias or just plain stuck in the yesteryear of Canes lore. The obsession of returning to 80’s & the Glory years of the Canes dynasty is a big part of the problem, the game has evolved far beyond what it once was back then & we still haven’t caught up to the times. He most successful programs in college right now all have the same two things in common, forward thinking & spending money, two things Miami refuses to do.

I love Zo & Torretta & all the old school Canes & all the great memories & I’m not saying that Zo isn’t qualified to be an AD or wouldn’t do a good job here, I’m just saying, at some point if we ever really want to get back to being a competitive program we have to sincerely exam what we keep doing wrong & start the doing the opposite & that might include restructure the entire method of operation by allowing outsiders who have no connection to the school to come in & do reconstructive surgery.

That’s blasphemous to say amongst Canes fans I know, but USC & Texas used to have this exact same problem of only ever going after “their guys” to run the program both in Administration & as coaches & it stagnated them for years. You could argue that the overly localized mentality is still negatively impacting their program right now, but at least USC went with an outsider for their AD & will be bringing in a new HC by year’s end & Texas went outside of their realm bringing in Sark & giving him a bolstered staff, they have a bright future ahead of them as the transition from the last regime.

It just feels like we’re stuck in this permanent loop of trying to recreate something that never will be recreated.

It is why I’m more nervous about Gino than zo. At least zo has relevant experience. But what concerns me is that he has the nostalgic mentality of 80s canes, thinking it will work today. What happens when it doesn’t work? Will zo stubbornly dig his heels in or is a forward thinker than can easily pívot and with innovation and foresight?

This 1,000x...

That’s the only thing that brings me some trepidation about Zo as AD, it will all but guarantee we’ll hire another former Cane as HC & while that will make a large % of our fan base very happy I’m uncertain that’s really the solution to our problems in the long term.

Miami’s problem is systemic from the top down & the only way to fix it is to bring in people who are not skewed with too much nostalgic bias or just plain stuck in the yesteryear of Canes lore. The obsession of returning to 80’s & the Glory years of the Canes dynasty is a big part of the problem, the game has evolved far beyond what it once was back then & we still haven’t caught up to the times. The most successful programs in college right now all have the same two things in common, forward thinking & spending money, two things Miami refuses to do.

I love Zo & Torretta & all the old school Canes & all the great memories & I’m not saying that Zo isn’t qualified to be an AD or wouldn’t do a good job here, I’m just saying, at some point if we ever really want to get back to being a competitive program we have to sincerely examine what we keep doing wrong & start the doing the opposite & that might include restructure the entire method of operation by allowing outsiders who have no connection to the school to come in & do reconstructive surgery on the program.

doUu2ByZDbPYQ (1).gif

Advertisement
Board check: do you all use beta in regular conversation or are you too alpha for that in your non message board life?
At times I have to utter the word alpha professionally and I want to fackin barf when I have to use it. I am pretty sure the word beta has never come out of my pie hole. Mainly because it is used in Congress with alpha and I like it when I don’t feel ill.

This 1,000x...

We hear about the highlighted far too often. I’ll sound like a broken record again, but we caught the CFB world by surprise all those years ago. We can’t and won’t do that again. I absolutely agree we need a visionary AD and a transformational HC. Unfortunately, there aren’t that many available of either out there

This 1,000x...

I couldn’t even consider saying this any better myself. My thoughts literally exactly. It’s almost bordering on cult-like behavior at this point. I’m with you as well in the viewpoint of I’m not saying that Zo shouldn’t be AD. But this obsession that this program can only be advanced into the future by people from the past is so patently false. There are real live adult humans who are fans of this program who would be happy to hire Butch Davis, for Christ’s sake.

Advertisement
This 1,000x...

So that’s a “no” on Michael Irvin for WR coach?

Sure spending a lot of time on canes podcasts lately talking canes for a Seattle Seahawks personnel executive. Hmmmmm

Advertisement
Bring in Alonzo and Mario and get the F out of the way. We’re “truly and permanently” back in 3 years. No F’n brainer. ****, I’d make Alonzo the BOT Chairman and HNIC and let him run this M’Fer.

It may very well have been pre-determined to avoid certain issues for obvious reasons - possibly letting cats out of the bag. I can’t imagine the questions not being vetted by Zo beforehand.
I doubt he asked for the questions in advance, but yea you’re probably right about him asking for certain topics to be left alone.

Advertisement
Back