Multiple students at Miami sign fake petition to ban Hurricane mascot, even blaming PTSD

I remember Linda Robertson writing a column right after Hurricane Andrew calling for a name change. She was ahead of her time.
NO.

I'm utterly amazed that none of you have mentioned that we actually experienced this controversy in real life back in the 1920's, when many serious people questioned whether "Hurricane" was an appropriate name given the devastation, death and trauma South Florida actually experienced in a monster storm. I believe it might have been after the deadly 1926 storm, but I know it was a real, public controversy.

I've read the story many times over the years. I believe Jim Martz wrote it up in his excellent history of Hurricane football.

When I get a chance I'll pull out his book and give you more details. Back then, I don't think the people advocating a different name were snowflaky like these kids are. The area had experienced a terrible, real like trauma with a great deal of death and destruction.

Advertisement
They were saying the same thing about Millennials who have been fighting wars since 2001. America's youth prove more resilient than given credit. Put them in combat, they'll do their job.
No. Because being in the military means living in barracks and, in combat, maybe impromptu forts and bases. It used to be tents.

The US military has not yet figured out how to build mom's basements for combat troops in the field.

Not entirely true. I’m 26 and can honestly say the state of this country is in shambles...I’m about to migrate back to Europe.. only a matter of time before the colors of old glory switch to red orange yellow green blue violent.

Like Western Europe's not a sh**hole itself! Now if you're talking about Eastern Europe - yeah - they are in good shape!

I'm not worried about the Rainbow People - when things turn to sh** - they're slow - and run really funny . . .

Advertisement
NO.

I'm utterly amazed that none of you have mentioned that we actually experienced this controversy in real life back in the 1920's, when many serious people questioned whether "Hurricane" was an appropriate name given the devastation, death and trauma South Florida actually experienced in a monster storm. I believe it might have been after the deadly 1926 storm, but I know it was a real, public controversy.

I've read the story many times over the years. I believe Jim Martz wrote it up in his excellent history of Hurricane football.

When I get a chance I'll pull out his book and give you more details. Back then, I don't think the people advocating a different name were snowflaky like these kids are. The area had experienced a terrible, real like trauma with a great deal of death and destruction.
I remember my stepdad telling me about that Hurricane, he said back then Moore Haven was bigger than Miami! Idk if you know about Moore Haven but there's one red light in the whole county! The old hardware store used to be a mall and you can still see the water lines on the courthouse and some of the older buildings

No. Because being in the military means living in barracks and, in combat, maybe impromptu forts and bases. It used to be tents.

The US military has not yet figured out how to build mom's basements for combat troops in the field.
Yet the military is full of young people living in barracks, forts, bases, and ships around the world.

I graduated Colorado state in 2017 and let me tell you the majority of students on that campus were so offended by everything it was insane. When trump was elected I had multiple teachers cancel class and there was counseling made available for students who were “traumatized”by the event. Growing up in Miami although not perfect it doesn’t even come close to level of constant offense from everything that people in Colorado had

Courage. The one constant in the universe is . . . . change. They're enabled to that pansy-assed mindset by a series of artificial barriers they consider to be security.

That's coming to an end. Soon, or later.

The weak will drop faster than burdschitt in a downdraft.

I'm 38 born in '81 and no one around me growing up and in college acted like that. All this stuff seems to have really started escalating just before begining of this decade. Never even heard of Gen Z, I guess I'm getting old
Because back then if you had problems no one cared. You couldn’t run to your nearest social media platform and immediately connect with other people equally as ****ed up as you are.

You had to just look yourself in the mirror and get your **** together. You don’t have to do that anymore.

Advertisement
Not if this gen takes over.... they would have gotten rid of the military and nukes by then, looking for peace treaties with everyone ...including ISIS types

Look at Europe now....
This generation is going to take over. It is what it is. We as a country were unprepared at the outset of both world wars but got the job done. I have confidence in the military's young people to do their jobs.

I'm offended by any of you folks who are not offended by that offensive petition! A Starbucks store kicked out 5 policemen because one patron was uncomfortable and offended by their presence. What a world. Too many snowflakes, bring on global warning

Because back then if you had problems no one cared. You couldn’t run to your nearest social media platform and immediately connect with other people equally as ****ed up as you are.

You had to just look yourself in the mirror and get your **** together. You don’t have to do that anymore.
I remember around 2001 a kid we knew in town was one of those people that are extremely smart (in certain ways) but also extremely eccentric told me that cell phones and the internet would be the downfall of society. Keep in mind, this was before the internet was even on cell phones. He said something about the original language of the Bible was written in Anglo-Saxon and www meant 666 and that the mark of the beast was brought up to the forehead. Also remember back then, nearly everyone had Nextel and we would bring the phone up towards our head to use the radio. I thought he was nuts but damnit mane, oh boy just may have known all along!

That's because it's really not your fault. You're just a victim. If you vote for me, I'll make sure you see justice.

Advertisement
Duke4heisman rolling into this thread out of the millennial closet or he has not idea what a fascist really is.

Poor guy.

Duke4heisman rolling into this thread out of the millennial closet or he has not idea what a fascist really is.

Poor guy.
I'm confused, maybe I read your post wrong. A fascist is defined as a radical, ultra right conservative on the brink of authoritarian and dictatorship. You're comment seemed to indicate that the eighties babies are feeling a higher morality and hypocritical for criticising the millennials as to what is "acceptable speech." Was I wrong?

Another selectively edited video designed to incite hatred and all of you mouth breathers fell for it hook line and sinker.

whenever something on video comes up it's always "selectively edited" to anyone that wants to avoid embarrassment. how about this? i graduated with my bachelors and masters from um in the early 2010s. i was offered a position in administration in late 2016 and worked there until this past january. there are plenty of students just like this. there are administrators and faculty that coddle and indoctrinate them to continue pushing out a bunch of over-sensitive babies that are barely prepared for the real world because they'd rather keep them happy and the tuition rolling in instead of giving them some hard truths about life. i left my dream job because i could not continue to support a bunch of idiots that care more about their bonuses than the well-being of the students. if you look back in my old posts, i defended the higher-ups because i was looking from a student perspective. after working there i realized what a cesspool of bull**** that it had become.

Advertisement
I'm confused, maybe I read your post wrong. A fascist is defined as a radical, ultra right conservative on the brink of authoritarian and dictatorship. You're comment seemed to indicate that the eighties babies are feeling a higher morality and hypocritical for criticising the millennials as to what is "acceptable speech." Was I wrong?

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
~George Orwell

You think safe spaces and attacking people for non-liberal beliefs under the guise of curbing "hate speech" which is so loosely defined it is laughable isn't fascist in nature I suggest you go read more instead of typing fascist into google and pulling up the first thing you see which you did.

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
~George Orwell

You think safe spaces and attacking people for non-liberal beliefs under the guise of curbing "hate speech" which is so loosely defined it is laughable isn't fascist in nature I suggest you go read more instead of typing fascist into google and pulling up the first thing you see which you did.
Yeah, you're definitely one of these cats. Good luck with AOC

Yeah, you're definitely one of these cats. Good luck with AOC

Ohh jesus you're a radical liberal of course your inability to understand what I've said makes sense. AOC isn't going to win a thing in this country lol she spouts too much idiocy.

As a conservative democrat good luck to you in the real world lil Duke.

Advertisement
Back