Tears Mountaineer tears

Advertisement
They don’t have the money to compete on the NIL stage and when adding in the ability to transfer without sitting - that’s what I think is really eating at them. They have no chance in this day and age.

They find a diamond in the rough like Mesidor and start developing him into an All-American type player and then he’s gone because of NIL and easy transfer rules.

They’re probably feeling like a farm club for the bigger $ programs.
As a Pittsburgh Pirates fan I know how they feel. But like all sports without a salary cap, this is exactly what happens. Is a salary cap even doable in college football? And even if it is, would this not just result in schools spending to the cap over the table and then exceed the cap under the table?

Advertisement
They don’t have the money to compete on the NIL stage and when adding in the ability to transfer without sitting - that’s what I think is really eating at them. They have no chance in this day and age.

They find a diamond in the rough like Mesidor and start developing him into an All-American type player and then he’s gone because of NIL and easy transfer rules.

Sure. And while I understand the feelings, it also points out something that is defective about how a player "chooses" West Virginia.

To a normal West Virginia resident or alum, they think that Morgantown is great. They think that every recruit will fall in love with the town and the school and want to stay forever. Heck, just look at the hate shown towards Addae, BECAUSE he is an alum, and they view the signing of TWO transfers (both of whom went to high school in Florida) as some sort of conspiracy theory.

But the reality is different. Unless someone grew up in West Virginia, it is highly likely that an out-of-stater who signs with WVU does so because it is his "best available offer". And, sure, it's nice to have coaches you connect with, and it's great to enjoy your 48-hour fun-packed visit.

And in addition to the reality of not being in a desired area (WV) with a long proud history of winning (something that a place like Tuscaloosa can boast of), then the NIL and transfer issues add insult to injury. I mean, even if WVU could find a deep-pocket coal baron (or at least the King of Pepperoni Rolls) to fund NIL, I'm still not sure that they could prevent guys like Mesidor from leaving.

I also think that the WVU fans need to talk to a knowledgeable football scheme guy like @Liberty City El , who can point out the schematic reasons why Mesidor might choose to go from WVU to Miami. But they'll probably just choose to slander one of their alums and send droids with holograms to Obiwan NCAA to beseech the organization to save poor old WVU from the evil NIL Empire.

Advertisement
Did anyone not notice the poster who said that Mesidor could get his face "eaten off by someone taking bath salts", have they not seen the meth and opioid problem in there state. These clowns have ne scratching my head.
deliverance GIF

Did anyone not notice the poster who said that Mesidor could get his face "eaten off by someone taking bath salts", have they not seen the meth and opioid problem in there state. These clowns have ne scratching my head.
deliverance GIF
Having their face eaten off would actually be an aesthetic improvement to most of the women in West Virginia.

WV is an irrelevant program and they don't realize it. They had a nice run with Slaton and Pat White but other than that they're irrelevant.
Yup. Tier 3 program. Enjoyed a brief spell as a tier 2 destination, but that’s long gone.

Obviously emotion clouds judgement, and we are all guilty of homerism to some degree. But what many of their fans know deep down (it’s fueling their rage) is that the kids transferring out are simply making decisions in the best interest of their football careers. Sucks for them, but in order for there to be winners, many will have to endure defeat

Advertisement
Settle down, my brother from Richmond, I think he was referring to the "cousin" part...
I know but I don’t understand the tie to cousin and Richmond as he circled the name. Is he talking about Marrying one’s cousin? Richmond isn’t like that. Lol

If they’d quit using all their money buying new couches to replace the ones they just burned for whatever reason maybe they’d have a little money…

Cause you know furniture down at Cousin Willie’s Quik Stop, Hospital and Furniture Store ain’t cheap…

Advertisement
Yup. Tier 3 program. Enjoyed a brief spell as a tier 2 destination, but that’s long gone.

Obviously emotion clouds judgement, and we are all guilty of homerism to some degree. But what many of their fans know deep down (it’s fueling their rage) is that the kids transferring out are simply making decisions in the best interest of their football careers. Sucks for them, but in order for there to be winners, many will have to endure defeat
Kind of amazing they were even as relevant as they were for the last 30+ years. This new money/transfer dynamic will be their death knell as they're screwed on too many fronts- geography being a large one. If they were actually as "Southern" on a map as they can act then maybe they would be in a conference right now that could buoy them (ala an Arky or Mississippi State type of dynamic).

If I'm them I seriously consider going all-in with hoops. Try to become a basketball school. Use all your limited resources there.

I think what's getting lost in the whole discussion is that Mesidor wanted out because they were forcing him to play out of position. He was a 250 lb pass rushing defensive end but they ended up making him gain 30lbs and moved him to zero technique nose tackle because they didn't have anyone else to play that position. Hel went from being THE guy on the edge getting sacks and making plays in the backfield to being a guy who's entire job was to get blocked and double teamed by bigger linemen. This is the equivalent of Miami asking Jahfari Harvey to play nose tackle.

So now, Mesidor is the bad guy because he doesn't want to be forced to play out of position at a spot he has no professional future at?

I know but I don’t understand the tie to cousin and Richmond as he circled the name. Is he talking about Marrying one’s cousin? Richmond isn’t like that. Lol
Maybe Richmond is his uncle/father/brother's name and "from" means that's who sired him because there might be some ambiguity there.

Favorite quote: "I believe he is making a bad longterm decision".

1. He was caught off guard because Akheem didn't change his behavior prior to telling him the plan to transfer, that's actually professional of Akheem. Keep working at a high level until you're out. Sounds like we got a really good one.
2. Akheem is making a bad long term decision. LOL
3. I'm not bitter. See #2. LOL
4. Damage control press conference. Insert Steve Martin "Nothing to see here" gif
5. "We're going to add some pieces in the coming weeks". The transfer portal is hurting college football, but we're gonna get some good ones from there, you guys will be psyched!

Advertisement
Back