Most Hated Dynasty Josh Pate

Even the announcers got into the hatred. UM was criticized during the ND game, and when UM whupped Texas in the Cotton Bowl, Mike Francesca called UM "disgraceful". Of course the 200 yards in penalties were a factor.
Yeah I remember that idiot. He got his 2 min of fame piling on top of the rest of the garbage. On a side note, if not for the penalties, that game would have resembled Syracuse & UDub from '01:)

Advertisement
I remember watching that game a few years ago, and when the Bama coach and the announcers went off on that wide receiver that stuck out to me. How old school, how pretentious, how stale, how un-Miami.
Growing up in Ann Arbor and going to 3-4 Michigan games per year, I was so bored with their style of football and their entire concept of what college football was. Then I watched Jim Kelly on TV throwing the football all over the field and the players having fun and it was like a light bulb was turned on in my 12 year old head, ‘so this is what college football can look like? Then why are we watching a guy run the ball 52 times per game for 3 yards?’

I didn't read the thread, but Notre Dame has to be in the conversation. You either like them or hate them. I'd say they're the most despised program ever in that it's always been that way.

We likely topped them in our glory years, but by 2001, we weren't the villains anymore. Now, we're just another team although many who loathed this program back then harbor some of those old feelings. .

Bama has taken over that spot, but with nowhere near the disdain we had during our time. That's the nature of the beast though.

So overall, it would be Notre Dame if you're talking about all time.

Maybe in your living room, but not mine. UNLV and Miami were the bad boys, cheaters and rebels of college athletics. The race narrative wasn’t as big a deal as you’re making it out to be. I know it’s something people love to sell. It wasn’t all that. John Thompson was loved nationally. I understand your desire to make him a villain, but he wasn’t. Tark and Jimmy were the devil. He was supported in the suburbs. It made for good copy, but they weren’t them. I respectfully disagree with with them being grouped together. People love to make race a lightning rod whenever possible. The majority of the country, especially the white suburbs, loved Georgetown. LOVED
Fwiw I lived on the north shore of Chicago. It’s as white and wealthy as any midwestern community in America. Georgetown was loved in every one of the three straight championship games they went to. People actually felt bad for them losing. They loved notre dame, Penn state and Georgetown. Everyone nationally respected John Thompson.
I Loved both UNLV and Georgetown....but I've always felt that the Fab 5 at Michigan were the UM equivalent on the BB Court...From the Black Sox, to the Long Shorts. @Rellyrell @TheOriginalCane I told you both the time I met 3 of the Fab 5 at Mama B's Subs in 1992 (Michigan was playing in a Tournament at the Old Arena...I think they were playing Seton Hall) and when I met them, I had on a Miami Shirt and Hat, and all 3 Loved the Canes Football team, (Especially Jalen Rose) we talked for a few minutes, and then they went back to their Hotel, which was the old Omni Downtown.

Advertisement
Let’s be real. Much of the hatred was based on race.
UM was looked upon as an inner-city school (coded for black) and was taking on the more genteel (coded for white) schools in college town America. I grew up in Ann Arbor and heard UM referred to as a bunch of thugs constantly. To white America, which was basically 99% of the sports reporters and TV personalities in the 80’s, UM represented everything that was wrong with their bull**** “pristine” sport of college football.
UM was the equivalent of UNLV and Georgetown Baskteball, and NWA and Public Enemy. And there was nothing more hated back then, and even to many now, then an unabashed, unflinching black man having success while giving the rest of the country the middle finger.
I don’t mind our toned down version of this but I hope we never forget how UM was treated.
I'm shocked, SHOCKED you would say that! Wait, racism? Oh yeah, that was a lot of it, carry on.

In all seriousness, you're right. America in the 80s could have lived with Miami being good...they would have hated it, but could have lived with it. What they couldn't stand was black kids being better and saying it. They couldn't stand watching black kids dance after they scored on those nice boys from ND. People will say we cheated and all kinds of other nonsense, but the truth is that Miami just made the college football world uncomfortable. I guess you can argue there was no racism in that, but I'm not buying it.

Folks;

Miami was a team that didn’t look like or play like the traditional teams, and the media looked for any and everything to throw dirt on us. For goodness sake, we were labeled as ThugU, a mantra that some programs still roll w/! Somebody tell me the last time SI ran an article on why football need to be on the death penalty for Bama. I need someone to post a link to Yahoo running an in-depth investigation on a short-*** Bama’s booster who broke out the yacht, champagne, & strippers for young MEN as the most disgraceful thing in CFB history. When that happens, let me know.

Ppl hate Bama, just like they hated The Celtics, The Lakers, The Yankees, & any other team associated w/ long dynasties due to pure haterism in their blood b/c their team ain’t those teams. It has zero to do w/ culture shift. We were a threat to the round table of traditionalism. We weren’t a blue blood & we didn’t respect the blue blood table. It’s why The Raiders & Hurricanes both resonated to urban communities; it was like a rage against the machine, & we were hated for it.
Interesting you use the term "respect" because that's the whole thing. People felt all the celebrating was disrespectful, but if it'd been a different-looking team that wouldn't have been such a big deal. If PSU had been celebrating it would have just been some kids who were overly excited. Maybe somebody would have mentioned that they should be a little nicer, but nobody would have lost their **** mind over it. And as for the media, people say they push agendas, and that's a little true. But mostly what they do is say what people want to hear, and a lot of America was very open to the idea that nice innocent college kids were being disrespected by some thugs who should be on the corner, not on the field.

Let’s be real. Much of the hatred was based on race.
UM was looked upon as an inner-city school (coded for black) and was taking on the more genteel (coded for white) schools in college town America. I grew up in Ann Arbor and heard UM referred to as a bunch of thugs constantly. To white America, which was basically 99% of the sports reporters and TV personalities in the 80’s, UM represented everything that was wrong with their bull**** “pristine” sport of college football.
UM was the equivalent of UNLV and Georgetown Baskteball, and NWA and Public Enemy. And there was nothing more hated back then, and even to many now, then an unabashed, unflinching black man having success while giving the rest of the country the middle finger.
I don’t mind our toned down version of this but I hope we never forget how UM was treated.
YOU CAN’T ASK RECRUITS TO COME HERE, BUST THEIR *** TRAINING, PLAY LIKE RABID DOGS IN PRACTICE AND ON SATURDAYS AND IN THE SAME BREATH, TELL THEM TO “TONE IT DOWN “……DOES NOT COMPUTE…

And I can guarantee that by '92 the team that guy rooted for had a lot of black players. But the UM black players represented something different because they were frankly seen as more independent of the then-prevailing system of college football. It is bad enough for a lot of people when confronted with change. But it is even worse when the change is brought on by people who look, speak, act different.

UM football scared a lot of people. The societal rebels; black, brown and white loved UM football. Just like the rebels in society once loved the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Heavy Metal music and later rap music. But the establishment hated UM because it represented change and loss of the power to the predominantly male and white status quo.

Ice Cube even mentioned the Canes in his song Check Yourself,
"At a time like this, pop a coochie and you dead
the B*tch is a Miami Hurricane head"
Granted not the most flattering image of Miami to be associated with AIDS and crack, but it meant we were in the national consciousness of young America of all colors, even a rapper from Compton. No rapper that I am aware of raps about the Crimson Tide.
There's another aspect. Rap music was becoming more popular and the thug life was being glorified.

Advertisement
Growing up in Ann Arbor and going to 3-4 Michigan games per year, I was so bored with their style of football and their entire concept of what college football was. Then I watched Jim Kelly on TV throwing the football all over the field and the players having fun and it was like a light bulb was turned on in my 12 year old head, ‘so this is what college football can look like? Then why are we watching a guy run the ball 52 times per game for 3 yards?’
One of the things that really drew me to UM football was their style of offense. I was really too young to understand the game until the late 80’s but once I started really watching games, the fact that Miami threw the ball a lot and often used three or four receivers had me hooked. I’d watch Oklahoma or big 10 teams run the ball for three yards over and over and it would put me to sleep. Miami was big play waiting to happen. My friends and I would play football in the street pretending to be Gino Toretta or Craig Erickson and we’d be dropping bombs to Randall Hill or Lamar Thomas. It blew my mind that there were teams that rarely threw. You have a quarterback and all he does is hand the ball off? What good is he?

Miami

Don't need to listen
Exactly. We changed college football and ****ed a lot of the good ole boys network off in the process.

Alabama simply decided no more losing and were willing to cheat at the highest level and do what we are finally doing in hiring the best of the best in coaching...(no, I am not putting Mario on Saban's level...just more making the spending money on the program point)

1650416316762.png

Thanks Josh Pate for throwing up the U tonight. Got my screenshot material.

Miami Mood Tracker tonight: Nothing that we don't already know but rest of the nation is about to find out.

Advertisement
Exactly. We changed college football and ****ed a lot of the good ole boys network off in the process.

Alabama simply decided no more losing and were willing to cheat at the highest level and do what we are finally doing in hiring the best of the best in coaching...(no, I am not putting Mario on Saban's level...just more making the spending money on the program point)
Saban lost to Louisiana Monroe his first year at Bama despite having waayy more talent than Monroe. Guy ain't never been shytt without cheating lol!

People don't like any teams that consistently win (aside from their fans). However, there is a separate category of hate for teams that either make themselves out to be above the fray morally speaking (even though they have plenty of skeletons in their own closet - a la ND and Penn State under Paterno) or teams that back up the disrespect of their opponents by summarily routing them every Saturday - Miami was the epitome of this type of team in the 80's/early 90's.

Advertisement
Saban lost to Louisiana Monroe his first year at Bama despite having waayy more talent than Monroe. Guy ain't never been shytt without cheating lol!
Wait, that’s your argument here? Sure, bama has always paid players, but they didn’t invent that, they’re just playing the game better than everybody else. I can’t complain too much about a team “cheating” when they’re doing what plenty of other teams are doing.

So basically, he’s still the best coach out there right now. Maybe not the best game day guy, but he’s built a monster program, and the cheating they do is the cheating every top team does.

Give the man his due.

Wait, that’s your argument here? Sure, bama has always paid players, but they didn’t invent that, they’re just playing the game better than everybody else. I can’t complain too much about a team “cheating” when they’re doing what plenty of other teams are doing.

So basically, he’s still the best coach out there right now. Maybe not the best game day guy, but he’s built a monster program, and the cheating they do is the cheating every top team does.

Give the man his due.
If you're going to justify and applaud teams for bag dropping then don't go byching and whining about how much we sukk after mofos tried to give us the death penalty behind the word of a Ponzi schemer lol!

Josh Pate nailed this issue. He didn’t use the word race but he implied it every 30 seconds.
He was right and anybody from that era knows it was race and a non traditional conference team that ushered in a new era of college football that challenged the ncaa, good ole boy network announcers and the massive population of racist fans of the era.

If you're going to justify and applaud teams for bag dropping then don't go byching and whining about how much we sukk after mofos tried to give us the death penalty behind the word of a Ponzi schemer lol!
I don’t applaud the bags, I’m simply acknowledging that they exist and saban’s playing that game better than anyone else. He’s built a monster program using what’s available. If you want to say he’s only good because of cheating, then why aren’t the other coaches who cheat as good?

Point is, the game’s the game. If somebody else plays it better than you, who’s fault is that?

Advertisement
Back