Most Hated Dynasty Josh Pate

the rock spit GIF by WWE
FACTS

Advertisement
A term was created for how Georgetown played basketball; Hoya Paranoia. That was not love. John Thompson staged a walkout of a game to protect the disparate impact of Proposition 48 on black student athletes. And he lead the black coaches along with John Chaney at Temple.
People put up signs at games comparing Patrick Ewing to a monkey and said he could not read. How could you have forgotten how Ewing and the team were treated????

If this is your definition of love then you my friend are in an abusive relationship and you need to get out

Georgetown the school may have been loved but Georgetown the basketball program was seen as an "inner city" program and hated by white America in the 80's.
Maybe in your living room, but not mine. UNLV and Miami were the bad boys, cheaters and rebels of college athletics. The race narrative wasn’t as big a deal as you’re making it out to be. I know it’s something people love to sell. It wasn’t all that. John Thompson was loved nationally. I understand your desire to make him a villain, but he wasn’t. Tark and Jimmy were the devil. He was supported in the suburbs. It made for good copy, but they weren’t them. I respectfully disagree with with them being grouped together. People love to make race a lightning rod whenever possible. The majority of the country, especially the white suburbs, loved Georgetown. LOVED
Fwiw I lived on the north shore of Chicago. It’s as white and wealthy as any midwestern community in America. Georgetown was loved in every one of the three straight championship games they went to. People actually felt bad for them losing. They loved notre dame, Penn state and Georgetown. Everyone nationally respected John Thompson.

Last edited:
A term was created for how Georgetown played basketball; Hoya Paranoia. That was not love. John Thompson staged a walkout of a game to protect the disparate impact of Proposition 48 on black student athletes. And he lead the black coaches along with John Chaney at Temple.
People put up signs at games comparing Patrick Ewing to a monkey and said he could not read. How could you have forgotten how Ewing and the team were treated????

If this is your definition of love then you my friend are in an abusive relationship and you need to get out

Georgetown the school may have been loved but Georgetown the basketball program was seen as an "inner city" program and hated by white America in the 80's.
I think Michigan basketball also dealt with some of that BS as well. Not to the level of the sick shït they did to Ewing, but they weren’t the darlings that their football program was.

I think being in the internet/social media age helps Bama’s case, as most hated. Oh and being on top for so long.

But you can make the case The hate for UM has burned in folks heart a lot longer then any other program.

I think Michigan basketball also dealt with some of that BS as well. Not to the level of the sick shït they did to Ewing, but they weren’t the darlings that their football program was.
Lmao the fab five were the Beatles 😂 In what world did they suffer or face hardship. I’m dying. Literal rockstars! I’ve never seen a team that popular, comprised of no championships.

Advertisement
It’s really not close, between Penn st and ND, nothing brings real hate out like race in America. Add in all the **** those mid western programs have been up to that’s gotten out since Sandusky that are real actual crimes and they’re really not in the same universe. People are annoyed with Bama, bored of them maybe, some people may even say they hate them… but the **** we got and the reasons we got it is so beyond anything they deal with it’s not an argument.

Miami may or may not have been more hated, but I can say this for sure: that era of UM football was culturally more important and relevant. They resonated across the country and created a certain emotion when they played -- either positive or negative. You weren't neutral about those band of renegades from Dade County.

Outside Georgetown, they had perhaps the most popular Starter jacket(I still have mine!!) they had a well-known rap group represent them( 2 Live Crew), and I recall reading for years in the media guides that out of the top 25 all-time highly rated college football games on ESPN, Miami was in like a quarter of them

They had state rivalries (Gators and Noles) which were an important facet of the sport

National ones which transcended college football - Notre Dame

They played a national schedule as an independent that had them playing all over America (personally I missed those days)

But think about this: how many other programs have had multiple 30 for 30's done on them? And I dont mean just 'the U' (part I and II) but the one on the Catholics and Convicts, the short one on Tom Osbourne going for two that featured Kenny Calhoun, the one on Jimmy Johnnson and the great heist focused a bit on his time at UM, the one on Dallas Carter High and Jessie Armstead..

Then you had the iconic players, the Hall-of-Famers, but just look at the media personalities that came from that era that became big stars after football: Michael Irvin, Jimmy Johnson, The Rock, Warren Sapp(for awhile, at least lol)

And Ive detailed this before, when I fly, I usually wear my UM gear(most of the time my Nike sweatsuit from the last year they were with Miami) and almost every time I get comments -- that are overwhelmingly positive -- personally, I dont think all these folks were/are Miami fans, some may have actually hated them at that period of time.

But in retrospect, even these people have an appreciation for what Miami brought to the table in the 80's. It was fun, entertaining, there was a certain mystique to their style of play and their personalities.

Bama is a machine, but they aren't making the impact outside of their region like Miami did nationally in that era.

Last edited:
Let’s be real. Much of the hatred was based on race.
UM was looked upon as an inner-city school (coded for black) and was taking on the more genteel (coded for white) schools in college town America. I grew up in Ann Arbor and heard UM referred to as a bunch of thugs constantly. To white America, which was basically 99% of the sports reporters and TV personalities in the 80’s, UM represented everything that was wrong with their bull**** “pristine” sport of college football.
UM was the equivalent of UNLV and Georgetown Baskteball, and NWA and Public Enemy. And there was nothing more hated back then, and even to many now, then an unabashed, unflinching black man having success while giving the rest of the country the middle finger.
I don’t mind our toned down version of this but I hope we never forget how UM was treated.
I loathe playing the race card, but in this case I have to play along.

Those Miami teams of the 80’s and 90’s were about as dominant as any team in any era. They beat all the “blue blood” schools at home and on their own turf. Oh and they just happened to black, :). I remember the game vs Arkansas in 87 when Miami boatraced them 51-7 and cameras showed their fans. It wasn’t disbelief I saw looking back on it; it was disdain. Lets not forget the sledgehammer to the skull of Notre Dame in ’85. Ara Parseghian was on the brink of a nervous breakdown and you could hear the disdain in his voice. I could on an on but this is not even a discussion. Bama’s hatred is for the obvious(Pre NIL) cheating they do/done while the NCAA and Mark Emmert look at the sky along with the CFP consistently finding loopholes for them to make the playoffs without even winning their conference.

Last edited:
Folks;

Miami was a team that didn’t look like or play like the traditional teams, and the media looked for any and everything to throw dirt on us. For goodness sake, we were labeled as ThugU, a mantra that some programs still roll w/! Somebody tell me the last time SI ran an article on why football need to be on the death penalty for Bama. I need someone to post a link to Yahoo running an in-depth investigation on a short-*** Bama’s booster who broke out the yacht, champagne, & strippers for young MEN as the most disgraceful thing in CFB history. When that happens, let me know.

Ppl hate Bama, just like they hated The Celtics, The Lakers, The Yankees, & any other team associated w/ long dynasties due to pure haterism in their blood b/c their team ain’t those teams. It has zero to do w/ culture shift. We were a threat to the round table of traditionalism. We weren’t a blue blood & we didn’t respect the blue blood table. It’s why The Raiders & Hurricanes both resonated to urban communities; it was like a rage against the machine, & we were hated for it.
One thing of note I'd like to add is those dynasties won with talented HOF players that were drafted. The Alabama teams on the other hand, like I said in another post were bought and paid for and the NCAA knew it.

Advertisement
Lmao the fab five were the Beatles 😂 In what world did they suffer or face hardship. I’m dying. Literal rockstars! I’ve never seen a team that popular, comprised of no championships.
I should have been more clear. In OP’s original comment he makes reference to the “Sports Reporters and TV Personalities” of that era, that’s who I was referring to, their portrayal of them. Yes fans like you and I loved them but I also recall the media referring to them as thugs while taking veiled shots at them about their style of play, their uniforms, not being good shooters, etc.

100%. Black guys with shaved heads, baggy shorts and black socks playing an aggressive form of the game that was meant to intimidate opponents. I loved it.

I loathe playing the race card, but in this case I have to play along.

Those Miami teams of the 80’s and 90’s were about as dominant as any team in any era. They beat all the “blue blood” schools at home and on their own turf. Oh and they just happened to black, :). I remember the game vs Arkansas in 87 when Miami boatraced them 51-7 and cameras showed their fans. It wasn’t disbelief I saw looking back on it; it was disdain. Lets not forget the sledgehammer to the skull of Notre Dame in ’85. Ara Parseghian was on the brink of a nervous breakdown and you could hear the disdain in his voice. I could on an on but this is not even a discussion. Bama’s hatred is for the obvious(Pre NIL) cheating they do/done while the NCAA and Mark Emmert look at the sky along with the CFP consistently finding loopholes for them to make the playoffs without even winning their conference.
Even the announcers got into the hatred. UM was criticized during the ND game, and when UM whupped Texas in the Cotton Bowl, Mike Francesca called UM "disgraceful". Of course the 200 yards in penalties were a factor.

Advertisement
UM was looked upon as an inner-city school (coded for black) and was taking on the more genteel (coded for white) schools in college town America. I grew up in Ann Arbor and heard UM referred to as a bunch of thugs constantly. To white America, which was basically 99% of the sports reporters and TV personalities in the 80’s, UM represented everything that was wrong with their bull**** “pristine” sport of college football.
UM was the equivalent of UNLV and Georgetown Baskteball, and NWA and Public Enemy. And there was nothing more hated back then, and even to many now, then an unabashed, unflinching black man having success while giving the rest of the country the middle finger.
I don’t mind our toned down version of this but I hope we never forget how UM was treated.
Around 92 I had the misfortune of being in the presence of the single biggest racist I've ever met to date. He was a prison guard and we were talking college football at a friend's party when I mention I went to UM. He blurted out, "Miami's nothing but N words and S words." I don't know how you can take that as anything but being hatred based on race because I guarantee that ignorant ******* had never been further south than West Palm Beach.

Around 92 I had the misfortune of being in the presence of the single biggest racist I've ever met to date. He was a prison guard and we were talking college football at a friend's party when I mention I went to UM. He blurted out, "Miami's nothing but N words and S words." I don't know how you can take that as anything but being hatred based on race because I guarantee that ignorant ******* had never been further south than West Palm Beach.
And I can guarantee that by '92 the team that guy rooted for had a lot of black players. But the UM black players represented something different because they were frankly seen as more independent of the then-prevailing system of college football. It is bad enough for a lot of people when confronted with change. But it is even worse when the change is brought on by people who look, speak, act different.

UM football scared a lot of people. The societal rebels; black, brown and white loved UM football. Just like the rebels in society once loved the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Heavy Metal music and later rap music. But the establishment hated UM because it represented change and loss of the power to the predominantly male and white status quo.

Ice Cube even mentioned the Canes in his song Check Yourself,
"At a time like this, pop a coochie and you dead
the B*tch is a Miami Hurricane head"
Granted not the most flattering image of Miami to be associated with AIDS and crack, but it meant we were in the national consciousness of young America of all colors, even a rapper from Compton. No rapper that I am aware of raps about the Crimson Tide.

Advertisement
1:14:17 in...during the Miami vs Alabama 1990 bowl game this signified the difference. An Alabama player celebrates after a play (ala Miami), and he is immediately chastized by his old school coach. The announcer join in, slamming him as well.

That was all of the media and the college football world versus Miami.

1:14:17 in...during the Miami vs Alabama 1990 bowl game this signified the difference. An Alabama player celebrates after a play (ala Miami), and he is immediately chastized by his old school coach. The announcer join in, slamming him as well.

That was all of the media and the college football world versus Miami.

Good catch on this.

Good catch on this.
I remember watching that game a few years ago, and when the Bama coach and the announcers went off on that wide receiver that stuck out to me. How old school, how pretentious, how stale, how un-Miami.

Advertisement
Back