Morris' Draft Stock

Advertisement
As we stand, Bridgewater, Fales (San Jose State) and Murray are probably the top-rated guys. McCarron will intrigue some people, as he is more gifted than the average "game-manager" quarterback. Boyd and Manziel are great quarterbacks but more college guys right now.

If Morris is as accurate as he was the last three games and through spring, he will make a run at the first round. He has the strongest arm in the draft, he understands pro concepts and his intangibles all check out. He's not a runner, but he will surprise some people with his forty.

His name will pick up draft buzz starting with the Manning Passing Academy in July.

Just think if Golden hadn't whiffed on Bridgewater, where we would be in 2014....

Man. I just want this program to get on its feet again.

All I've heard regarding the 2013 NFL Draft is that the QB class is weak. How do you guys feel (Homerism aside) Stephen Morris compares to those guys? And do you see him going in the first 2 rounds next year? I think he does. Rocket arm and can make plays when the pocket collapses.

I think Stephen Morris is better then a lot of QBs who both were drafted in the 1st or could go in the 1st this year. If Christian Ponder can get drafted in the 1st I am confident he is smart enought to impress some NFL guys to consider him as a potential 1st round prospect especially if he has another year like last year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
EJ Manuel is in consideration to be a first rounder (don't know why).. Morris > Manuel

thats how weak this class is

Mostly off measurables

This QB class doesnt have an elite ready from day 1 NFL QB but it is a deep QB class with a lot of potential... far from weak. I am higher on Ej then most on here are. I think he is a 1st round QB. Cam newton like measurables and has won a lot of big games. He aint perfect but he has starting Qb potential.

EJ Manuel is in consideration to be a first rounder (don't know why).. Morris > Manuel

thats how weak this class is

Mostly off measurables

This QB class doesnt have an elite ready from day 1 NFL QB but it is a deep QB class with a lot of potential... far from weak. I am higher on Ej then most on here are. I think he is a 1st round QB. Cam newton like measurables and has won a lot of big games. He aint perfect but he has starting Qb potential.

name em?

Advertisement
I kinda think Bridgewater flops this year. I know thats contrary to nearly every single person that follows college football's opinions but its just a hunch I get. He just seems a little soft to me for some reason. And I'd take Stephen over Teddy any day of the week (I know Teddys younger).

I really really like Morris as most of us here do. To those saying it says a lot that he didnt start over Jacory his Sophomore year and Jacory's senior year I completely disagree. Theres also more to that than just skills. It was Al's first year coaching and if he started Stephen over Jacory he would have instantly divided the locker room before a game was played and non of the seniors would have bought in to anything he said (not that those mostly self-entitled pretentious players would have anyways). He started Jacory because he almost had to. It also helped Stephen develop another year on the practice field and get a better grasp for the game.

Let's not forget that Jacory also thrived his senior year in Jedd's system with short passes and vertical shots scattered throughout. His completion percentage was surprisingly high.

That being said, Stephen has a lot to prove to NFL scouts this year but his ceiling, as discusses previously and in other threads, is sky high. This team has the potential to win the ACC and at least go to the Orange Bowl. Who knows, they might even make a better run. If the team does that, its going to be behind the leadership of Stephen Morris and the overall swag of Duke Johnson. If all that were to happen Stephen would skyrocket up draft boards and be a top 3 round pick in my opinion. He has great mobility, an absolute cannon, and has become increasingly more aware of the game around him as the years have progressed. Hopefully his accuracy improves even more this year and he becomes the overall great QB we've been missing for some years now.

I kinda think Bridgewater flops this year. I know thats contrary to nearly every single person that follows college football's opinions but its just a hunch I get. He just seems a little soft to me for some reason. And I'd take Stephen over Teddy any day of the week (I know Teddys younger).

I really really like Morris as most of us here do. To those saying it says a lot that he didnt start over Jacory his Sophomore year and Jacory's senior year I completely disagree. Theres also more to that than just skills. It was Al's first year coaching and if he started Stephen over Jacory he would have instantly divided the locker room before a game was played and non of the seniors would have bought in to anything he said (not that those mostly self-entitled pretentious players would have anyways). He started Jacory because he almost had to. It also helped Stephen develop another year on the practice field and get a better grasp for the game.

Let's not forget that Jacory also thrived his senior year in Jedd's system with short passes and vertical shots scattered throughout. His completion percentage was surprisingly high.

That being said, Stephen has a lot to prove to NFL scouts this year but his ceiling, as discusses previously and in other threads, is sky high. This team has the potential to win the ACC and at least go to the Orange Bowl. Who knows, they might even make a better run. If the team does that, its going to be behind the leadership of Stephen Morris and the overall swag of Duke Johnson. If all that were to happen Stephen would skyrocket up draft boards and be a top 3 round pick in my opinion. He has great mobility, an absolute cannon, and has become increasingly more aware of the game around him as the years have progressed. Hopefully his accuracy improves even more this year and he becomes the overall great QB we've been missing for some years now.

wtf are u talking about?...what about Bridgewater shows anything about being soft??....really?

i'm a big Morris fan...but i honestly ALWAYS thought Teddy B was a better qb than him...thats going back to when Teddy b was a jr in High school.

Now as they developed i believe Morris has had better qb coaching as i actually thing Fisch is legit in that aspect...as far as game knowledge etc he is ahead of Bridgewater....

But that kid is the GOODS...the only weakness i had with him coming out is if he would put on weight...and dude has...his arm is good enough...his anticipation and touch iboth are good and better than Morris's.

I'm looking at Morris and Bridgewater both as top 5 qbs when it comes to nfl draft status...and that has to legitimately SH*T on all talk that S.Fla dont/cant produce qbs...

wtf are u talking about?...what about Bridgewater shows anything about being soft??....really?

i'm a big Morris fan...but i honestly ALWAYS thought Teddy B was a better qb than him...thats going back to when Teddy b was a jr in High school.

Now as they developed i believe Morris has had better qb coaching as i actually thing Fisch is legit in that aspect...as far as game knowledge etc he is ahead of Bridgewater....

But that kid is the GOODS...the only weakness i had with him coming out is if he would put on weight...and dude has...his arm is good enough...his anticipation and touch iboth are good and better than Morris's.

I'm looking at Morris and Bridgewater both as top 5 qbs when it comes to nfl draft status...and that has to legitimately SH*T on all talk that S.Fla dont/cant produce qbs...

If you reread my original post I say that "I know thats contrary to nearly every single person that follows college football's opinions but its just a hunch I get. He just seems a little soft to me for some reason.

If you look at Teddy's arm strength compared to Stephens, Stephens arm looks fuller, if you will. I understand Teddy's is more toned, but I think that Stephen is a much fuller, tougher build. Btw its just an opinion so no need to "wtf are you talking about" me for my own opinion. I already prefaced my opinion by saying I'm sure everyone was going to disagree with me so I'm not surprised the first person to respond disagreed. We'll see how the season plays out my man, but I'm not quite drinking the Teddy Bridgewater kool-aid just yet.

If I'm wrong after all is said and done, I'll eat my words. If I'm right, you can just give me some props. :)

Stephen Morris > Teddy Bridgewater

Haters gon' hate. Teddy is also running in his picture so his arm is flexing, while ma boy Stevie is chillin like a villain in the pocket.

117.jpg

118.jpg

Btw this is just something I took note of. This isnt the driving force for me calling him soft. The driving force for that opinion might be because he spurned UM and went to Louisville instead. Maybe thats the reason. Maybe because I don't think Louisville was as good as advertised last year. I understand they won the bowl game against Florida by 10 points and thats definitely respectable. But the rest of their schedule isnt THAT impressive. I'm definitely just rambling and nit picking to try to support my case for calling Teddy B soft, but so be it.

Here's Louisville's schedule from last year too: http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/97/year/2012/louisville-cardinals

They beat UNC by 5
They beat Southern Mississippi by 4
They beat FIU by 7
They beat Rutgers by 3 (Rutgers sucks, the fact they were ranked last year is an absolute joke)
They beat South Florida by 2 points at home. Yes 2 points. At home. South Florida. (Same team we beat 40-9)
Lost to Syracuse by 20

They're schedules not too hard in my opinion

Their 10 point win against Florida in the bowl game is their one great win, no doubt about it. Great win. Can't take that away from them. Idk, we'll see what happens with Teddy B and Louisville next year but I stand by my opinion that he is going to regress.

Last edited:
Advertisement
He needs to show that he can go through his progressions and improve his accuracy. There are no questions about his measurables. He needs to work on what's between his ears now.

What a horrendous group of QBs two years running. I don't see a legit franchise QB in the group.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Morris does not have prototypical height for a QB. He's probably only legitimately 6'1" (hes listed at 6'2") which is tall enough to be successful, but it could be a strike against a first round grade when the NFL starts their usual over dependency on measurables in the evaluation process.

Advertisement
Another thing to keep in mind is that Morris does not have prototypical height for a QB. He's probably only legitimately 6'1" (hes listed at 6'2") which is tall enough to be successful, but it could be a strike against a first round grade when the NFL starts their usual over dependency on measurables in the evaluation process.

At least he's learned how to deal without elite height. He's had to throw behind our massive offensive line.

I don't know how scouts will take that, but IMO, he's shown he can throw behind a line of 6'5"-6'6" behemoths.

Morris is barely 6 feet and that will hurt him big in the draft, despite his arm strength. Russell Wilson would have been a sure top ten pick if he was 3 inches taller.

i'd say Morris is close to 6'2.

-The pluses for him will be the kid will Interview great....theres no off the field stuff with him.
x's and o's...having worked with Fisch h's probably a little ahead of some of the other guys as far as nfl pro style work.
-Solid speed...solid weight..he'll be close to 220.
-ARM CANNON..
-Miami pedigree...

If dude has a solid to good yr...and lights up Uf and FSU like he could....the film wont lie...

I'm sticking to a mid round grade on him...he wont slip out of the 3rd rd....like ive stated he's light years better than EJ Manuel who the only thing that is propelling him is size and fake fsu hype.

Morris is barely 6 feet and that will hurt him big in the draft, despite his arm strength. Russell Wilson would have been a sure top ten pick if he was 3 inches taller.

And he went in round 3. Morris in the first is a long, longshot.

Advertisement
Back