More players raving about Perry

It seems like a lot of y'all would not be happy unless you hear how horrible Perry is doing or how the players don't think he is going to cut it at the collegiate level. Basically, the article, like many other articles about Perry, is just reiterating that there is a positive vibe surrounding Perry, and yet many of you, of course, will put your negative spin on it.

Advertisement
I know it's just the summer and its hard to get a true idea of how good he will be based on "player ran" 7on7's. However, it's something to be said when his peers seem to be completely already bought in, giving the fact that he hasn't even been on campus for 2 months yet. Several players have now referenced how Perry is making db's and lb's look flat out silly at times.

Writing is on the wall... Perry has that IT factor we havent had at the qb position since Dorsey and the team is already galvanizing around him bc of it.

You're right. There wasn't one teammate praising Brad Kaaya the summer before his freshman season. Denzel Perryman never said he was impressed because he hadn't been able to rattle him.

Oh look there is a whole article about it after he was named the starter.

Absolutely glowing reviews:

Cornerback Tracy Howard said he thought Kaaya’s pocket presence helped win him the job over senior transfer Jake Heaps. Earlier in camp, linebacker Denzel Perryman said there was nothing he or his teammates could do in practice to rattle Kaaya.

“He has great footwork in the pocket,” Howard said. “He has a natural feel, does a great job stepping up and avoiding defenders in the pocket. He makes great decisions. You can’t beat a guy who makes great decisions. Instead of forcing it and throwing an interception, he’ll throw it away. And he moves the sticks.

We all know Brad had little to no feel under actual pressure.

Running back Duke Johnson said Kaaya has done a good job taking command of the huddle. “If you didn’t know Brad, you wouldn’t know that he’s a freshman,” Johnson said. “He comes in, he demands … he lets everybody know what’s the play, what he needs done.”

Miami Hurricanes defensive players praise new starting QB Brad Kaaya | Miami Herald

Considering what you think of Kaaya, maybe teammates praising a QB doesn't mean all that much. Or are those guys really off after fall camp and the 2017 guys are dead on before camp even starts?

Considering kaay had one of the best true freshman season at qb in years where did they tell a lie? I saw a true freshman qb go to Blacksburg one of the hardest places to play and get a victory. Kaaya played with loads of confidence vs fsu that year too

It seems like a lot of y'all would not be happy unless you hear how horrible Perry is doing or how the players don't think he is going to cut it at the collegiate level. Basically, the article, like many other articles about Perry, is just reiterating that there is a positive vibe surrounding Perry, and yet many of you, of course, will put your negative spin on it.

I think a lot of people are skeptical of annointing yet another freshman QB. People still talk about Kaaya because they are trying to justify their original annointing. No more 6-8 win teams!! If Perry's the guy to get is to 10 wins THIS YEAR, that's all I care about. But we need to see it on the field. Just jabbering the jaws right now. I'm glad to see he's doing well in practice.

QB performance is a combination of tangibles and intangibles.

Our players have seen a number of QB's with all sorts of tangibles and intangibles. Can't teach intuition.

If Perry has a buttload of intuition - our players are seeing it.

Advertisement

No, we just understand that every program/team in America has players/teammates hyping up and giving props to QB's from practice reports or summer drills, no matter how garbage they might be. **** has been happening for decades; let's see it when the pads come on and when the real games start. This is basically hype from a flag football game. Not buying it!

QB is a fickle position, and the dudes Psyche and confidence are key to performance.

Also, what do you expect the teammates to say in front of the media? This or that QB is terrible. Also, sometimes journalists fish for information and lead these guys into answering certain questions form a narrative, so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

QB performance is a combination of tangibles and intangibles.

Our players have seen a number of QB's with all sorts of tangibles and intangibles. Can't teach intuition.

If Perry has a buttload of intuition - our players are seeing it.

Yaaaawwwn. They are seeing a QB sling it in stripped down flag football (7 against 7) and in a controlled environment. The hype machine means jack **** in that setting.

Let me see the hype machine after a VT game and a bud foster defense and FSU

Last edited:
I know it's just the summer and its hard to get a true idea of how good he will be based on "player ran" 7on7's. However, it's something to be said when his peers seem to be completely already bought in, giving the fact that he hasn't even been on campus for 2 months yet. Several players have now referenced how Perry is making db's and lb's look flat out silly at times.

Writing is on the wall... Perry has that IT factor we havent had at the qb position since Dorsey and the team is already galvanizing around him bc of it.

I'm not sure what IT factor you've observed this summer, but the only one anyone cares about is the ability to win games, and we'll just have to wait and see on that.

Have you been a Canes fan the last 10 or so years?

Every time the hopes start to get up I get fooled again. Expect the worst and hope for the best i suppose.

Advertisement
I'm not giving Perry credit for impressing teammates in a flag football game. That's basically what 7 on 7 is....stripped down flag football

Trot Rosier out there this season as a starter, so we can go win the ACC ship and have a shot at the playoffs. This defense is good enough to take us to the promised land and it would be a **** shame to waste a championship caliber defense on a true freshman QB that will be good for 3 losses all by his **** self.

No, don't throw away the season on a true freshman QB (and yes, that's what we'd be doing). Bring Perry off the bench and give him 1-2 series per game to give him meaningful snaps game ready for this season and for 2018. Use him the Way Urban Meyer used Tebow as a freshman.

We are an 8-9 win team with Perry starting, but we are a 11+ win team with Rosier starting. That math is simple

GTFOH Rosier isn't winning 11

With this stout defense, run game, big time TE and Richards on the edge, I absolutely believe Rosier can get us to 11+ wins. I believe with all of my heart and soul, especially against this schedule. Rosier will manage the game much more effectively than a true freshman, and he has shown he can hit the deep ball (you need that dimension or at least the threat of that dimension with Richards on the edge)

But I KNOW Perry, a true Freshman, can't do it.

If we bring Perry along slowly and integrate him into game situations with 1-2 meaningful series per game (that's about 10 snaps), then we'll be cooking with gas. IF he's the guy of the future, and that's a big IF, because you can never know with QB's then he should be ready to take the reigns in 2018. He will have the game experience and a full spring under his belt.

But we can't tank the 2017 season on this kid. No way in ****. Not with a hellified defense like this!

Last edited:
I've officially bought my Perry bullet train tickets. Not because of the articles but because of the clues.

Clue #1 ) "Co-Starter".. Richt keeps insisting that we'll wait for Perry to get here before making a decision. For a coach who been in the game almost 30 years and 16 years as a HC.. He is a old school guy and old school guys usually prefer to play upperclassmen instead freshman and if a guy like Richt is more sure throwing a TRUE freshman into the fire is better then starting one of these other QB then they might be worse then we thought on a day to day basis.

Clue #2 ) "Video Game" Chad Thomas had Perry, a guy hes only seen throw a little w/ no pads, is starting him on his UM team? Must mean these QB have shown him nothing. He already on the Perry train and dude is a starter on the team.

Clue #3 ) "Interviews" RJ McIntosh has said that the freshman that can make the biggest impact is the QB. Also, Redwine, St. Louis looked impressed. You can fool the coaches, you can fool the fans but the players are usually the last people a new player can impress on a team because they'll know if you got real potential or not before anyone.

This fanbase is desperate to crown Kaaya's successor before a ball has been thrown in anger.

Chill out, let it play out.

You're right. There wasn't one teammate praising Brad Kaaya the summer before his freshman season. Denzel Perryman never said he was impressed because he hadn't been able to rattle him.

Cornerback Tracy Howard said he thought Kaaya’s pocket presence helped win him the job over senior transfer Jake Heaps. Earlier in camp, linebacker Denzel Perryman said there was nothing he or his teammates could do in practice to rattle Kaaya.

“He has great footwork in the pocket,” Howard said. “He has a natural feel, does a great job stepping up and avoiding defenders in the pocket. He makes great decisions. You can’t beat a guy who makes great decisions. Instead of forcing it and throwing an interception, he’ll throw it away. And he moves the sticks.

Running back Duke Johnson said Kaaya has done a good job taking command of the huddle. “If you didn’t know Brad, you wouldn’t know that he’s a freshman,” Johnson said. “He comes in, he demands … he lets everybody know what’s the play, what he needs done.”

Miami Hurricanes defensive players praise new starting QB Brad Kaaya | Miami Herald

Considering what you think of Kaaya, maybe teammates praising a QB doesn't mean all that much. Or are those guys really off after fall camp and the 2017 guys are dead on before camp even starts?

Considering kaay had one of the best true freshman season at qb in years where did they tell a lie? I saw a true freshman qb go to Blacksburg one of the hardest places to play and get a victory. Kaaya played with loads of confidence vs fsu that year too

He was 7-16 for 92 yards with one TD. Duke Johnson ran for 249. Who do you think deserves the credit for that one?

Advertisement
Instead of piece meaning an article together as if it's your inside information, you can save a lot of time and post the link to the article.

He was 7-16 for 92 yards with one TD. Duke Johnson ran for 249. Who do you think deserves the credit for that one?
A win is a win regardless the stats.

Instead of piece meaning an article together as if it's your inside information, you can save a lot of time and post the link to the article.

But you were just talking about stats to prove a point and now they don't matter? How much do 6 wins means as far as his freshman season is concerned?

Advertisement

But you were just talking about stats to prove a point and now they don't matter? How much do 6 wins means as far as his freshman season is concerned?

You a perry hater bruh, let that hate go

But some of y'all are quick to credit him for losses that he threw 300-400 yards with Duke rushing for 80.

There's no doubting Perry's skills. It's all going to come down to his ability to know where everyone is supposed to be on every play, his ability to process information quickly under pressure with bullets screaming by, and his ability to lead and inspire mostly guys more senior than him.

The physical skills are obviously there. There's so much more than the job than that though.

You a perry hater bruh, let that hate go

I'm a hater of people being dopey. You used stats to defend Kaaya's freshman season and then gave him credit for a win in Blacksburg. When I brought up his stats having little to do with that victory it was all of sudden stats don't matter and a win is a win. So was his freshman season successful because of the stats? If thats your position then he gets little to no credit for Va Tech because stats are so important.

Advertisement
Back