Mike Ryan on Lebatard Show 11/29

Mario better be in the bag if we care about his feelings…

And we’ll **** up the AD hire for sure

Bet money on it:

Nunez : AD
Strawley : Assistant AD
Manny Diaz : HC
Manny Diaz puppet : DC
The corpse of a retread OC who is ok taking a job on a lame duck staff : OC

I sincerely hope we draw UF in the bowl game and they beat us by 198 points.

Advertisement
Not saying that is the case here but USC did the same thing with Lincoln. You really thing that whole thing came together on Sunday morning the day after his OU regular season ended? That was in the works for a while and likely a done deal. They just waited to announce it.
This was also a case where an incoming AD gave the HC one more season to evaluate. Quickly made a decision early this season to give themselves time to get their ducks in a row (no pun intended).

And, not saying USC didn't make a boss move, but a lot of events came together to make this possible. If OU had not chosen to join the $EC Lincoln Riley would still be HC at Oklahoma.

And F-USCw

I was never high on Jurich & never thought he was getting hired here.

I just was hoping that it wouldn’t be a Miami only guy in that spot because it would all but eliminate the prospect of even going after Lane or anybody else for that matter. Making Zo AD or Head of Football, just means we’re all in for Mario & if by some off chance he doesn’t come we’ll settle for Ken Dorsey.

I didn’t think Diaz was sticking around for another year, but I also figured that was contingent upon them securing Mario.

My issue is with the narrow scope with which they operate & how they limit their choices by having such a small defined prerequisite of criteria for Coaches, AD’s etc...

There are several dozen good choices for AD & for HC, but Miami doesn’t think anyone outside of Miami exists.

There are a lot of people that don’t want that narrow definition of an a AD, Including myself.

Advertisement
I was never high on Jurich & never thought he was getting hired here.

I just was hoping that it wouldn’t be a Miami only guy in that spot because it would all but eliminate the prospect of even going after Lane or anybody else for that matter. Making Zo AD or Head of Football, just means we’re all in for Mario & if by some off chance he doesn’t come we’ll settle for Ken Dorsey.

I didn’t think Diaz was sticking around for another year, but I also figured that was contingent upon them securing Mario.

My issue is with the narrow scope with which they operate & how they limit their choices by having such a small defined prerequisite of criteria for Coaches, AD’s etc...

There are several dozen good choices for AD & for HC, but Miami doesn’t think anyone outside of Miami exists.
Why are we like this???

I don't understand this comparison. What experience did Lynn Swann have as an NFL or College administrator or exec?
It's the only real example of a famous alum failing as AD that anyone can think of.

It's like comparing apples to Buicks.

if they're moving like this they have to have some kind of indication that Mario is coming. no way they are this inept.
Have you been following Miami football for long?
Yes, Yes, they are absolutely this inept.
They have shown nothing but pure incompetence over the last 20 years, that’s why the whole fan base is in a panic.

This is the same administration that promoted Coker which of course didn’t work out, so they double down and promote the failed DC from his failed regime as head coach. Then proceed to go dumpster diving at Temple, not once but twice.

They don’t seem capable of learning from their mistakes and leading. I think it’s much more likely, they have no clue who the coach is going to be, than them being able to execute some timely plan where they already have the AD and HC hired and are just waiting for the right time to announce. With this BOT, that to me seems extremely unlikely.

This isn't a fair comparison. Lynn Swann didn't do anything in sports besides broadcasting and hitching his name to a failed AFL franchise.

At least Alonzo has been in an executive in the NFL for 8+ years now.

Assuming Highsmith gets the job, neither of Swann nor Highsmith had experience in ncaa athletic administration when hired. Swann had served on the board of directors for several multi-billion dollar corporations. USC assumed his business experience would translate to college athletic administration. They were wrong. Highsmiths career as a NFL executive is impressive, but what does he know about things like Title IX? You know he will have to rely exclusively on the assistant AD for all the compliance issues. Compliance is not a minor part of the job. This is why a Director of Football Ops was the perfect job for him.

Essentially UM looks like it is setting up an Athletic Dept with a shadow AD behind the scenes. Highsmith will be focusing on football, Pedro Griffin will be handling basically everything that has do with the ncaa and ACC. It's quite obvious why the BOT would want it this way, the shadow AD will be their little ***** who does everything they say and then "advises" Highsmith, who has to lean heavily on the Assistant AD due to the ADs lack of experience with the ncaa.

Advertisement
Bet money on it:

You know what’s funny is this might actually happen, but change strawley out for Zo.

Bet money on it:

I would suggest you get some distance from following Miami football.

Yeah if this Zo or Toretta thing comes into fruition, Miami's going to set themselves back another 25 years. I understand a fanbase going for the nostalgic "old school Miami" thing, because (sorry y'all) the majority of fans are stupid lmao. But the admin is like that too? Big yikes.

The Miami of old is dead and gone. Getting these old heads to do the "Miami way" is going to be complete and utter failure. College football has changed dramatically since 2010, let alone 2001.

I'm going to enjoy laughing at this program though if all this crap actually happens.
I get the rational behind making Zo top dog not making sense. If he is put in charge of football how does that set the program back? He’s an NFL executive with 20+ years of experience. I’m not saying he deserves the job because he won a title 30 years ago but his resume speaks to being able to lead a football organization. That’s not conjecture or being a homer it’s fact. He is qualified to run the football program. Running the whole show, he is not.

Miami is looking very lost due to the way they have handled things. Every other program making moves and very buttoned up.
Worried that damage is getting insurmountable.

no ****, this is what I have been saying for months. They gave him every opportunity to save his job and are just hoping the right coach falls in their lap, instead of being proactive. Usc got Riley because they didn’t wait to fire Helton, Miami options get fewer by the day.
Rileys season also ended Saturday. no b12 game for him. Mario is still playing this weekend.

Advertisement
I get the rational behind making Zo top dog not making sense. If he is put in charge of football how does that set the program back? He’s an NFL executive with 20+ years of experience. I’m not saying he deserves the job because he won a title 30 years ago but his resume speaks to being able to lead a football organization. That’s not conjecture or being a homer it’s fact. He is qualified to run the football program. Running the whole show, he is not.
People get blinded by the NFL Front Office Experience thing, that doesn't translate to being a good AD or leading a football organization.

If he's qualified to run the football program, then hire him as the Head Coach. That's literally the head coaches job.

Advertisement
Just as a point of comparison, Mike Bohn, the new USC AD who pulled one of the biggest HC heists in cfb history, has been an AD since 1998. 20+ years of experience as an AD.
He doesn't even cart his balls in a wheel barrow.

He uses a lowbow tractor trailer when that savage pulls up.

LOL at anyone who thought Jurich as AD would happen. I would have been more than cool with it but his baggage comes in trunks not suitcases.
Again, what baggage? He isn’t part of the NOA and was cleared. Why isn’t OKST concerned about their new AD that was second in command during the stripper years and etc.? Why is LSU still holding onto Will Wade who is under almost the same FBI investigation for what Louisville was tied up in.

Some schools want to win and some are worried about looking and feeling better than everyone else.

Advertisement
Back