Mike Ryan on Lebatard Show 11/29

He doesn't even cart his balls in a wheel barrow.

He uses a lowbow tractor trailer when that savage pulls up.

Indeed.

Im a little depressed today as the reality is starting to sink in. I had hope UM would shock the football world and fans across CFB would be saying "God****, the U is back". Sadly it looks like USC is the school that will be back on the national scene while the human excrement on the UM BOT continues to have ****ing contests over whose friends and family get the honor of running the university further into the ground for the next decade. They should just make it easy on themselves and take turns destroying the program. The Columbus mafia gets to ruin things for a decade, and then the Epstein/Lemonis wrecking crew gets to demolish the U for the decade after that.

Advertisement
People get blinded by the NFL Front Office Experience thing, that doesn't translate to being a good AD or leading a football organization.

If he's qualified to run the football program, then hire him as the Head Coach. That's literally the head coaches job.
Just because someone is a good scout doesn’t mean he’s a good coach. Just because a guy can develop a solid roster management strategy doesn’t mean he can make on the fly in game adjustments. It’s literally two different jobs hence why most teams in the NFL have two guys run it. Maybe giving the HC the luxury of a de facto GM will allow him to focus on the game plan and player development. Maybe people are getting too hung up in the guy being a “Miami/Columbus/OldSchool Cane” guy to see the positives he’d bring.

Exactly. The sky-is-falling fan base in the cause for chaos right now; because they want things done on their timeline.

Would've liked Jurich, but not a shock he's out due to his baggage. UM isn't very ballsy when it comes to bringing in hires that have any negative history.

Mario is headed to the Pac-12 title game and won't be an option until Sunday December 5th—so what does it matter if Diaz is fired yesterday or next week?

The only issue is if Manny ISN'T fired—but this belief that one extra week is going to make all the difference in the world is laughable.

Cristobal wouldn't take this job until the Pac-12 title game is in the rearview—so long as Miami is working on things behind the scenes, fans are helping nothing by losing their mind every hour on the hour that "something" isn't happening.

I'm not a member of the Chicken Little brigade. That being said, your analysis misses on some critical points.

1. It's not the fanbase's timeline that isn't being complied with, it's UM's stated timeline. James was fired on 11/15. The next day, it was reported UM intended to conclude its AD search no later than the end of the regular season. Our regular season ended Saturday afternoon. As of this post, we still don't have an AD. UM created an expectation and then failed to meet it.

2. The idea Cristobal wouldn't take the job until after the PAC-12 game is conjecture. I sincerely doubt 99.9% of this board knows what the man would or wouldn't do as far as the timing for taking a job. But I do know that other coaches have taken a new HC job before their conference championship games. Billy Napier just did it.

3. It's not just the fanbase creating the "chaos" right now. Plugged in people and people in the media have discussed a power struggle and various "camps" (i.e., factions) of BoT members and admins. Look no further than the Canesinsight Twitter account. ****, Ferman was even reporting on a power struggle before the Duke game. It's not just the fanbase making things up.

4. Nobody is saying that waiting (yet another) week to terminate Manny is "going to make all the difference in the world." That's a strawman argument and I suspect you know that. But the truth is waiting creates more uncertainty about the AD and HC position, and that uncertainty leads to people questioning the BoT and the Administration. Flip it on its head for a moment. You are blaming fans for being upset and crazy that following a dreadful season Manny Diaz is still the HC and we don't have an AD. But UM could have avoided some of this nonsense if they had terminated Manny yesterday.

You are right that flooding the board with nonsense and worrying about things most of us can't control is a waste of time and ultimately isn't helpful to anyone. And, me personally, I'm not going to worry about Manny still being at UM until Wednesday (when it apparently saves UM a $2 million). But I would caution that blind faith in this administration is way too big a correction in the other direction. Over the last two decades, UM has shown us they don't deserve our trust that the right things are happening "behind the scenes."

he also kept Helton an extra year

Yes, and pulled the plug 3 games into 2021. I wouldn't be surprised if they had an inkling Riley would be interested and decided to play the long game. If keeping Diaz one more year led to Urban Meyer as the new UM HC in 2023, I'd have no issue with Diaz coming back.

Advertisement
Yes, and pulled the plug 3 games into 2021. I wouldn't be surprised if they had an inkling Riley would be interested and decided to play the long game. If keeping Diaz one more year led to Urban Meyer as the new UM HC in 2023, I'd have no issue with Diaz coming back.
I think the SEC move spurred the decision. if they were staying in the b12, don't think Riley would be leaving for SC. he also turned down LSU too and LSU is the better job of the three.

Again, what baggage? He isn’t part of the NOA and was cleared. Why isn’t OKST concerned about their new AD that was second in command during the stripper years and etc.? Why is LSU still holding onto Will Wade who is under almost the same FBI investigation for what Louisville was tied up in.

Some schools want to win and some are worried about looking and feeling better than everyone else.
Some schools want to win and some are worried about looking and feeling better than everyone else.

I'm not a member of the Chicken Little brigade. That being said, your analysis misses on some critical points.

1. It's not the fanbase's timeline that isn't being complied with, it's UM's stated timeline. James was fired on 11/15. The next day, it was reported UM intended to conclude its AD search no later than the end of the regular season. Our regular season ended Saturday afternoon. As of this post, we still don't have an AD. UM created an expectation and then failed to meet it.

2. The idea Cristobal wouldn't take the job until after the PAC-12 game is conjecture. I sincerely doubt 99.9% of this board knows what the man would or wouldn't do as far as the timing for taking a job. But I do know that other coaches have taken a new HC job before their conference championship games. Billy Napier just did it.

3. It's not just the fanbase creating the "chaos" right now. Plugged in people and people in the media have discussed a power struggle and various "camps" (i.e., factions) of BoT members and admins. Look no further than the Canesinsight Twitter account. ****, Ferman was even reporting on a power struggle before the Duke game. It's not just the fanbase making things up.

4. Nobody is saying that waiting (yet another) week to terminate Manny is "going to make all the difference in the world." That's a strawman argument and I suspect you know that. But the truth is waiting creates more uncertainty about the AD and HC position, and that uncertainty leads to people questioning the BoT and the Administration. Flip it on its head for a moment. You are blaming fans for being upset and crazy that following a dreadful season Manny Diaz is still the HC and we don't have an AD. But UM could have avoided some of this nonsense if they had terminated Manny yesterday.

You are right that flooding the board with nonsense and worrying about things most of us can't control is a waste of time and ultimately isn't helpful to anyone. And, me personally, I'm not going to worry about Manny still being at UM until Wednesday (when it apparently saves UM a $2 million). But I would caution that blind faith in this administration is way too big a correction in the other direction. Over the last two decades, UM has shown us they don't deserve our trust that the right things are happening "behind the scenes."
coach of a g5 program vs a coach of a top tier p5 team isn't quite different. its been rumored that he wants to finish the year out bc they're his kids. also, not a lot of guys get hired prior to finishing out their season. you've just seen rumors of hires but nothing official till after their seasons were over

Advertisement
Lane > Mario, groupthink is a ****. Waiting for Mario and paying a buyout when Lane is the much better product at a cheaper price.

Plus Lane with TVD and all those young receivers and running backs, ya'll slipping. Mario had Herbert and ni pinga.

Lane > Mario, groupthink is a ****. Waiting for Mario and paying a buyout when Lane is the much better product at a cheaper price.

Plus Lane with TVD and all those young receivers and running backs, ya'll slipping. Mario had Herbert and ni pinga.
I would agree if Mario told UM to wait on a decision. if he already gave the yes and they've already figured out the contract details then im fine with Mario. id prefer Lane bc I wanna see what he does with TVD.

Herbert threw for 3500 yards 32 TDs and 5 Ints his final season at Oregon. That's still pretty productive. That said, I'd prefer Lane.

I would agree if Mario told UM to wait on a decision. if he already gave the yes and they've already figured out the contract details then im fine with Mario. id prefer Lane bc I wanna see what he does with TVD.

Just like how I was excited to see how King would do with his first returning OC this year... **** happens, I would never put that much on any kid.

Advertisement
Advertisement
coach of a g5 program vs a coach of a top tier p5 team isn't quite different. its been rumored that he wants to finish the year out bc they're his kids. also, not a lot of guys get hired prior to finishing out their season. you've just seen rumors of hires but nothing official till after their seasons were over

Disagree (assuming you meant to type "is" quite different). Once you aren't making it to the CFB playoffs, it's the same. Both of these teams have a meaningless conference game and an unimportant bowl game left on their schedule. That's it.

Also, Billy Napier's team has as many games left as Mario Cristobal's team and he was officially announced as UiF's new HC yesterday. Not just rumored, but announced on UiF football's official Twitter account. So I haven't "just seen rumors" about new hires. That one is confirmed by both parties. And if you want to add bowl games, the number of coaches who get hired away before their teams have played those is legion. Unless its a CFB playoff game, nobody cares anymore. Besides, accepting a new HC job and coaching in a conference title game aren't mutually exclusive. Again, Billy Napier is doing precisely that (link).

Disagree (assuming you meant to type "is" quite different). Once you aren't making it to the CFB playoffs, it's the same. Both of these teams have a meaningless conference game and an unimportant bowl game left on their schedule. That's it.

Also, Billy Napier's team has as many games left as Mario Cristobal's team and he was officially announced as UiF's new HC yesterday. Not just rumored, but announced on UiF football's official Twitter account. So I haven't "just seen rumors" about new hires. That one is confirmed by both parties. And if you want to add bowl games, the number of coaches who get hired away before their teams have played those is legion. Unless its a CFB playoff game, nobody cares anymore. Besides, accepting a new HC job and coaching in a conference title game aren't mutually exclusive. Again, Billy Napier is doing precisely that (link).
No. Just stop. The Rose Bowl is a big ******* deal to Pac12 teams. Yes it’s not CFP. But to compare the Rose Bowl to whatever****ing bowl a Louisiana directional school might get for the championship is just…bad.

Advertisement
Back