Mike Ryan/AD Update - 12/2

Advertisement
Maybe the problem is …
The more power you give the AD, the less enthusiastic Mario has for coming here.
The less power you give the AD, the harder it is to find a strong AD.

I don’t understand a possible Mario-Alonzo alliance. Why would Mario want a football-specific AD who is a scouting guru? That’ll probably alienate Mario — having a guy supervising him too closely.
Zo: Hey, there’s this great right tackle in South Carolina. We should pull out all stops to recruit him
Mario: Sorry. I have other plans for that slot.
Zo: But this SC kid will solve a lot of problems for us. Let’s get him.
Mario: Nope. I have a portal kid who will fill that slot.
Zo: Well, go for both.
Mario: Can’t. I’m running out of slots and I’ve got to fix our linebacker mess.
Zo: Big mistake.
Mario: I like to make my own mistakes. Go figure out how to build an on-campus stadium. Get off of my turf.
Zo: F$&k you
Mario: F$&k you
That's not how that dynamic or partnership would work.

I’ve seen other schools take time with AD but not when they are trying to decide wether to Fire and Hire a new football coach all before signing day. I’m fine with waiting if it brings Mario cause this 22 class is a wash, but will Mario want to Sign his class at Oregon then leave in a couple weeks? The fact that the school hasn’t out right said manny is coming back should be good news.

What about when they are having a legitimate debate on how to restructure the Athletic Department after decades of status quo?

I know things change… but didn’t Mike Ryan say that the search would be done Monday or Tuesday of this week? I’m just sitting here and waiting. Taking every report that comes out, as bull****
Fluid situation, just like in recruiting.

Advertisement
I still don't believe Mario or any other coach comes here without knowing who the AD is. Use logic, would any of you leave your successful, high paying job where you are respected to come to a rebuilding program run by inept BOT members for the past 15 years AND you don't know who your direct boss would be?
don't assume he doesn't know who they are looking at. I think you have to believe they are all on the same page as this goes forward.

Mike meant that if Mario comes or he doesn't come, Feldman will most likely have that scoop since Feldman and Mario are friends.
I'm sure on my death bed, I will regret losing a week of my life, but if I could fast forward until next Friday, I would. God forgive me, but I'm at that point as well. I have the patience of a gnat rn.

Yeah, I basically see it the way you just laid it out.

The main thing I'm getting at is - if Mario or any coach has a blindspot, the AD, sans firing the coach, should have a healthy push back to help guide the HC to healthy changes or at least really consider them. Again, what if there's a blindspot (ala, running a 185lber in the middle of 11 guys on 3rd and 1 and then the sequential 4th and 1, etc.).

The HC should have most, but not all the power and they need to have a system where healthy debate can happen. Often times whether it be football, politics, you name it, if you have an absolute ruler, and they have a blind spot or two, but they can be encouraged to fix those, well, you get it. At the end of the day, we want those things fixed. That's all.

Let the HC run things, but still be open to respectful correction by the AD.
Do ADs get into things like personnel? That seems like it wouldn’t happen with a top coach.

Scheme? Maybe. I’ve read that it happens (a school wants to go to the spread offense, for example).

But I would think any coach should make these decisions and sink or swim.

Advertisement
This is why you need an AD and Football Ops personnel. The football ops is basically an AD job in itself…:

Let the AD concentrate on non rev sports, fundraising etc and let football ops handle everything football.

I don't think any AD will sign up for that unless you can somehow garuntee him in a contract that if football goes down hill he doesn't face any consequences for it. If you want Zo I think you have to do it the opposite way. Make Zo the AD with his main concentration on football and have someone else worry about everything else

I still don't believe Mario or any other coach comes here without knowing who the AD is. Use logic, would any of you leave your successful, high paying job where you are respected to come to a rebuilding program run by inept BOT members for the past 15 years AND you don't know who your direct boss would be?
Ok, let me make this as clear as I can make it: As long as Mario has the control that he wants and the resources & people in place to support his vision, it doesn't matter who the AD is because everything starts and ends on football with Mario.

So the AD who didn’t turn us down extended the AD search another week. LMAO. The spin on this whole thing is bad. It’s a disaster and don’t pretend it’s not. Whoever inside is sabotaging this needs to be removed from the BOT.
That's your assumption. Have you not paid attention to any of @Cribby 's messages he has posted?

Advertisement
I’m actually shocked how well the coaching situation ( Mario) has been handled. Nobody but people on Miami's side thought this was even possible. Ad , that’s another story.
I hope when this is all done you do a post on everything you can tel us. And the .ods lock it after you post.
Appreciate the info.

Advertisement
They hired a search firm for the AD position... and thats why its taking time. What type of search firm wouldn't do proper and exhaustive research?

We have heard over and over the problem is with the people leaking info because of their own agenda and it makes perfect sense that the firm would take time. They didn't hire these guys to make a quick decision... they hired them to make the right decision.

So I'm really supposed to believe that this Nunez guy took himself out of the running, Mmm...ok.
Maybe a bad example on my end: Think of it as in a real word situation, you already have a job lined up and in your current job you are on the hot seat and might get fired. Before the hammer is dropped on your head, you put in your two weeks and move on.

They hired a search firm for the AD position... and thats why its taking time. What type of search firm wouldn't do proper and exhaustive research?

We have heard over and over the problem is with the people leaking info because of their own agenda and it makes perfect sense that the firm would take time. They didn't hire these guys to make a quick decision... they hired them to make the right decision.
The right decision should have been made already. We’re about to be at three weeks without an AD. If you believe Mike Ryan’s reporting (which I do) Blake James had been a lame duck for months.

We will all play the result with the eventual hire and that’s the right thing to do. But the leaks, the time, and the current presence of Manny as head coach are not positive signs. Hopefully the end result wipes all that away.

Advertisement
Back