Mike Ryan/AD Update - 12/2

PIPO

Bathing in Nole Tears!!
Premium
Mike Ryan/Lebatard and David Samson discussed the following today:

- AD search could likely take up to another week (sigh)
- Feldman will probably be the person that will break Mario news (Good or bad).
- Mike cares about accuracy with his info and wants to elevate the program.
- Firm is not leaking any names. Leaks are on Miami end. The firm has a lot of power due to Frenk relying on them heavily.
- Samson believes that Miami didn't need a search firm for this position but helps with the competing factions at play (Epstein crew vs Mas group)
- Frenk will make final call. Leaning heavily on Rudy Fernandez (#1) and Echevarria (#2).
- Epstein is toothless but is doing his best to make Miami look like a circus with his leaks and Epstein is pro Status quo.
- Rudy was team Nunez (Columbus crew preference) but search firm didn't give a favorable recommendation. He wasn't up to their standards.
-Eddie Nunez broke up with Miami before they could break up with him.
- Eddie Nunez overplayed his hand.
- Lemonis is anti Manny and anti search firm and anti Status Quo. Wants Mario here.
- Mario knows what can be done here especially if he has all of the support in place that he wants.
- Samson is ok with giving the power to Mario. It's the way college sports is headed. Whoever the AD is should just worry about the other sports and let Mario have the power on football.

Edited:
For @TRick72 - Samson movie update:
Movie: 14 Peaks
- Mountaineer from Nepal who decided he was going to climb all of them over 8k meters (Everst, K2, etc) in the world within 7 months.
- It was like "Free Solo" on steroids
- Very Dangerous climbs
- During filming of the movie, he took picture of the Everest traffic trying to reach summit that went viral all over the world.
- Led to a Twin Peaks discussion - 29 degree beers are a hit in the South Florida heat and the ***** (I will not add a booty gif).
- LeBatard said he never saw the show Twin Peaks.
- Samson signed off by saying he was going to Twin Peaks.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Thanks for summarizing. Not sure what is taking so long with the AD hiring though, Blake James was fired on 11/16. We are approaching 3 weeks without an AD.

Anyway, I'm fine being patient if we get a big boy AD and Mario. I think if we get into next week with no AD and Manny still as our coach, I'll be concerned.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Mike Ryan/Lebatard and David Samson discussed the following today:

- AD search likely to take another week (sigh)
- Feldman will probably be the person that will break Mario news
- Mike cares about accuracy with his info and wants to elevate the program.
- Firm is not leaking any names. Leaks are on Miami end. The firm has a lot of power due to Frenk relying on them heavily.
- Samson believes that Miami didn't need a search firm for this position but helps with the competing factions at play (Epstein crew vs Mas group)
- Frenk will make final call. Leaning heavily on Rudy Fernandez (#1) and Echevarria (#2).
- Epstein is toothless but is doing his best to make Miami look like a circus with his leaks and Epstein is pro Status quo.
- Rudy was team Nunez (Columbus crew preference) but search firm didn't give a favorable recommendation. He wasn't up to their standards.
-Eddie Nunez broke up with Miami before they could break up with him.
- Eddie Nunez overplayed his hand.
- Lemonis is anti Manny and anti search firm and anti Status Quo. Wants Mario here.
- Mario knows what can be done here especially if he has all of the support in place that he wants.
- Samson is ok with giving the power to Mario. It's the way college sports is headed. Whoever the AD is should just worry about the other sports and let Mario have the power on football.
Besides the absurdity of needing an additional week to sort the AD position, this last sentence is a little concerning, but I'll still take it if it means we're finally a perennial top 5 team in a few years.

The AD needs to have some control over football.

For instance, if Mario can't break through 10 wins and get into the playoffs because he doesn't pass the ball enough, or becomes too loyal to an assistant and that part of the team is the last thing needed to break from strong team to elite, then Mario needs to have someone talk straight to him with the slight threat that he needs to make changes, however, he will be looked to for those changes and not the AD or BOT's.

That last part is the only thing that makes my stomach a little funny. Accountability is needed at every level. That stated, I definitely believe that Mario needs, and will require, a lot of rope and latitude to build the program, which will include some pops of failure along the way.

This is why you need an AD and Football Ops personnel. The football ops is basically an AD job in itself…:

Let the AD concentrate on non rev sports, fundraising etc and let football ops handle everything football.

Advertisement
Besides the absurdity of needing an additional week to sort the AD position, this last sentence is a little concerning, but I'll still take it if it means we're finally a perennial top 5 team in a few years.

The AD needs to have some control over football.

For instance, if Mario can't break through 10 wins and get into the playoffs because he doesn't pass the ball enough, or becomes to loyal to an assistant and that part of the team is the last thing needed to break from strong team to elite, then Mario needs to have someone talk straight to him with the slight threat that he needs to make changes and he will be looked to for those changes and not the AD or BOT's.

That last part is the only thing that makes my stomach a little funny. Accountability is needed at every level. That stated, I definitely believe that Mario needs, and will require, a lot of rope and latitude to build the program, which will include some pops of failure along the way.

the last sentence is what it basically is at other schools. the HC is the GM, president, coach of the entire program (football wise). the AD just needs to rubber stamp the checks

Good news overall but…..another week?

I can’t take it.
Well the coach will be hired before then so I don't care if it takes another month. I guess since Manny has a buyout they really don't care about protecting him so he'll stay on as long as necessary. Now the other coaches probably care but I'm sure the good ones have already reached out and more openings are gonna happen after this weekend so timing is still fine for assistants.

Advertisement
Thanks for summarizing. Not sure what is taking so long with the AD hiring though, Blake James was fired on 11/16. We are approaching 3 weeks without an AD.

Anyway, I'm fine being patient if we get a big boy AD and Mario. I think if we get into next week with no AD and Manny still has our coach, I'll be concerned.

Read between the lines. If Nunez was "not good enough" for Turnkey, and a P5 AD shark is swimming in the water but just below the surface, then it means that UM has not quite secured the AD that we want. And who knows what the reason is. Money? Timing? Maybe this P5 AD wants to know that Mario will definitely say yes before he says yes.

We are speculating here, but is fairly easy to narrow the options down by using logic. The artificiality of "but, but, but three weeks have passed" is just nonsense. While some people can find examples where an AD was hired quickly, it is just as easy to find examples of AD searches that took much longer than 2-3 weeks.

If a P5 AD shark is swimming around in the water, let's make sure we land him properly.

1638462300624.jpeg

So it's an open secret that Mario is coming?

So much for keeping it on the DL until after tomorrow

This is a total ****show

that's not on miami itself. that's on the dudes trying to gain clout (YES MIKE RYAN THATS YOU). appreciate the news (real or not) but if he really cared and didn't want to hurt the situation if it is (please keep this **** quiet till my season ends which is what USC did with Riley and LSu with Kelly) then shut your. mouth and focus on bits.

Advertisement
Back