Mike Ryan/AD Update - 12/2

If you listen to Bruce enough you know when he tips his hand.

I've felt Bruce knows Mario will take the job for a minute, considering how much he's skirted around Miami's AD search and Coaching situation. Bruce would have a lot more to say if he could...and it's not because he doesn't know.
He’s been quoted on this board regarding the situation I believe. He acknowledged Mario would be a target and said Miami could get Lane if they wanted him.

Advertisement
that info in itself causes a **** storm for Mario and Oregon if its done before the game. now, if on Saturday they don't announce anything, then **** all these fake insiders.
That's what I mean, if the AD is going to take another week, that's fine, but there is zero reason not to announce AT LEAST that Manny won't be returning after the game Saturday.

The timeline for athletic director is completely unacceptable if that's true. Mario is not going to come here without knowing who his boss will be. I was hoping for something by today or tomorrow. They need to pull the trigger already. I like Rudy Fernandez but if he was pushing Nunez then he lost credibility in my eyes. Thank God for turnkey overruling that. Turnkey is an excellent group actually. They concealed Lincoln Riley to USC perfectly. USC used them to land their whale. Let's hope the magic is here for us as well.
Who says he doesnt know?

yes, not disagreeing with anything whatsoever that you are saying. Sorry, I thought you were referring to the Feldman thing.
you're good.

yeah I assumed Feldman was gonna be the one to break it for a while now. I just hope we already worked out the details and got the answer we needed otherwise the school needs to publicly announce Manny is back or fired now so we can go and either finish up recruiting, hiring an OC or looking at non Mario coaches bc we all know the Columbus trio had one dude in mind

Mike Ryan/Lebatard and David Samson discussed the following today:

- AD search likely to take another week (sigh)
- Feldman will probably be the person that will break Mario news
- Mike cares about accuracy with his info and wants to elevate the program.
- Firm is not leaking any names. Leaks are on Miami end. The firm has a lot of power due to Frenk relying on them heavily.
- Samson believes that Miami didn't need a search firm for this position but helps with the competing factions at play (Epstein crew vs Mas group)
- Frenk will make final call. Leaning heavily on Rudy Fernandez (#1) and Echevarria (#2).
- Epstein is toothless but is doing his best to make Miami look like a circus with his leaks and Epstein is pro Status quo.
- Rudy was team Nunez (Columbus crew preference) but search firm didn't give a favorable recommendation. He wasn't up to their standards.
-Eddie Nunez broke up with Miami before they could break up with him.
- Eddie Nunez overplayed his hand.
- Lemonis is anti Manny and anti search firm and anti Status Quo. Wants Mario here.
- Mario knows what can be done here especially if he has all of the support in place that he wants.
- Samson is ok with giving the power to Mario. It's the way college sports is headed. Whoever the AD is should just worry about the other sports and let Mario have the power on football.

What status quo? We don't even have an AD! I get that he's trying to get in the way of a coaching search if Manny is his guy, but is he also doing the same thing on the AD search?

Advertisement
Man I wish I was more sold on Mario's ability before we hand an entire program to him
we will never land a Riley type coach here. we aren't that program or that draw. we aren't similar to USC in that way. the only similarity is that were private schools in large cities. they have a ton more resources and financial support than we have (at least to this point). ive said it for a while that Mario is the best well get so it is what it is.

Advertisement
Another week?

Animated GIF

we will never land a Riley type coach here. we aren't that program or that draw. we aren't similar to USC in that way. the only similarity is that were private schools in large cities. they have a ton more resources and financial support than we have (at least to this point). ive said it for a while that Mario is the best well get so it is what it is.
I didn't mention Riley one time. Wasn't talking about him at all

I'm excited about Mario but my point is he's not a guaranteed great hire so to give the whole show to him off the rip is risky

Advertisement
I didn't mention Riley one time. Wasn't talking about him at all

I'm excited about Mario but my point is he's not a guaranteed great hire so to give the whole show to him off the rip is risky
I know. I just used Riley as an example. I don't think we have the ability to land a guy like him where you can feel comfortable to hand everything to him. I agree w you on Mario but I don't see him coming any other way other than total saban like control.

Advertisement

Sure. My **** is also golden, you know.

Navarro actually doenst like Diaz as a coach and clowned the hire from day 1. I know he gets the rep of protecting Diaz but hes the one that called him a dumbass on his pod or w.e.

he wants Mario here too. hes just reporting what hes getting through his athletic sources. better than terminator dip**** tweeting eyeballs

Besides the absurdity of needing an additional week to sort the AD position, this last sentence is a little concerning, but I'll still take it if it means we're finally a perennial top 5 team in a few years.

The AD needs to have some control over football.

For instance, if Mario can't break through 10 wins and get into the playoffs because he doesn't pass the ball enough, or becomes too loyal to an assistant and that part of the team is the last thing needed to break from strong team to elite, then Mario needs to have someone talk straight to him with the slight threat that he needs to make changes, however, he will be looked to for those changes and not the AD or BOT's.

That last part is the only thing that makes my stomach a little funny. Accountability is needed at every level. That stated, I definitely believe that Mario needs, and will require, a lot of rope and latitude to build the program, which will include some pops of failure along the way.
I’m curious exactly what “total control” means. I have no idea what a typical power structure would be.

If it means decisions about how to spend money on facilities, assistant coaches, philosophy, even who gets in, who gets suspended and when/for what/how long, that all seems fine.

I would think any AD would still mostly control indirect finances (vendor contracts, for example), probably OOC scheduling?

I’m just trying to get an idea of what the potential hang ups might be.

Navarro actually doenst like Diaz as a coach and clowned the hire from day 1. I know he gets the rep of protecting Diaz but hes the one that called him a dumbass on his pod or w.e.

he wants Mario here too. hes just reporting what hes getting through his athletic sources. better than terminator dip**** tweeting eyeballs
Navarro is a complete hack. He got the Nunez BS fed right in front of his house, wrote an exclusive piece and got hammered a few hours later. Dude is close with Kelvin Harris, who is the biggest Manny Diaz-supporter on the platform.

Out of all the Athletics writers, Navarro is bottom tier.

Advertisement
Back