Mike Ryan/AD Update - 12/2

Advertisement
Read between the lines. If Nunez was "not good enough" for Turnkey, and a P5 AD shark is swimming in the water but just below the surface, then it means that UM has not quite secured the AD that we want. And who knows what the reason is. Money? Timing? Maybe this P5 AD wants to know that Mario will definitely say yes before he says yes.

We are speculating here, but is fairly easy to narrow the options down by using logic. The artificiality of "but, but, but three weeks have passed" is just nonsense. While some people can find examples where an AD was hired quickly, it is just as easy to find examples of AD searches that took much longer than 2-3 weeks.

If a P5 AD shark is swimming around in the water, let's make sure we land him properly.

View attachment 164315
Unless they are promoted from within or being groomed ahead of time, most P5 athletic director openings are not filled quickly. Forget weeks, many of them take months. Its not the same as a football head coach.

I didn't mention Riley one time. Wasn't talking about him at all

I'm excited about Mario but my point is he's not a guaranteed great hire so to give the whole show to him off the rip is risky
Mike Ryan has the same concern.

At the very least, it if fails or succeeds, you know where the buck starts and ends, right?

Advertisement
Navarro is a complete hack. He got the Nunez BS fed right in front of his house, wrote an exclusive piece and got hammered a few hours later. Dude is close with Kelvin Harris, who is the biggest Manny Diaz-supporter on the platform.

Out of all the Athletics writers, Navarro is bottom tier.
hes the only one on the local beat. do you want to get info from a **** stick called OBB boys or random dudes on twitter who will never put their names to anything

that's not on miami itself. that's on the dudes trying to gain clout (YES MIKE RYAN THATS YOU). appreciate the news (real or not) but if he really cared and didn't want to hurt the situation if it is (please keep this **** quiet till my season ends which is what USC did with Riley and LSu with Kelly) then shut your. mouth and focus on bits.
I’m actually shocked how well the coaching situation ( Mario) has been handled. Nobody but people on Miami's side thought this was even possible. Ad , that’s another story.

Advertisement
Riley-10 losses in 5 seasons at OU.
Mario-11 losses in 4 seasons at Oregon

::::FOR REFERENCE::::

Oregon was 11-14 in previous 2 seasons before MC
Oklahoma was 22-4 previous 2 seasons before LR

Who has done the better job at their school?

OU has 2? playoff appearances under Riley in the better conference (b12 is marquee but better than pac 12) and also one of the best offensive minds in football. along w that, hes produced what 3 heisman QBs or so and multiple number 1 picks at the position including b2b number 1s?

I’m curious exactly what “total control” means. I have no idea what a typical power structure would be.

If it means decisions about how to spend money on facilities, assistant coaches, philosophy, even who gets in, who gets suspended and when/for what/how long, that all seems fine.

I would think any AD would still mostly control indirect finances (vendor contracts, for example), probably OOC scheduling?

I’m just trying to get an idea of what the potential hang ups might be.
Yeah, I basically see it the way you just laid it out.

The main thing I'm getting at is - if Mario or any coach has a blindspot, the AD, sans firing the coach, should have a healthy push back to help guide the HC to healthy changes or at least really consider them. Again, what if there's a blindspot (ala, running a 185lber in the middle of 11 guys on 3rd and 1 and then the sequential 4th and 1, etc.).

The HC should have most, but not all the power and they need to have a system where healthy debate can happen. Often times whether it be football, politics, you name it, if you have an absolute ruler, and they have a blind spot or two, but they can be encouraged to fix those, well, you get it. At the end of the day, we want those things fixed. That's all.

Let the HC run things, but still be open to respectful correction by the AD.

Last edited:
College Football Reaction GIF by SEC Network
I'm with Joe!

I’m curious exactly what “total control” means. I have no idea what a typical power structure would be.

If it means decisions about how to spend money on facilities, assistant coaches, philosophy, even who gets in, who gets suspended and when/for what/how long, that all seems fine.

I would think any AD would still mostly control indirect finances (vendor contracts, for example), probably OOC scheduling?

I’m just trying to get an idea of what the potential hang ups might be.
The total control part is only in relation to football. Think of it like Sean McVay in LA in NFL or Saban at Bama.

Advertisement
I’m actually shocked how well the coaching situation ( Mario) has been handled. Nobody but people on Miami's side thought this was even possible. Ad , that’s another story.
too many dudes keep creating nonsense out there. yeah mike Ryan you care so much that you're putting it on your podcast radio show to gain even more listeners and creating content for the show. yea Sure that's keeping it on the DL. id rather just find out the way we found out about USC or LSU than deal w this crap

Advertisement
Read between the lines. If Nunez was "not good enough" for Turnkey, and a P5 AD shark is swimming in the water but just below the surface, then it means that UM has not quite secured the AD that we want. And who knows what the reason is. Money? Timing? Maybe this P5 AD wants to know that Mario will definitely say yes before he says yes.

We are speculating here, but is fairly easy to narrow the options down by using logic. The artificiality of "but, but, but three weeks have passed" is just nonsense. While some people can find examples where an AD was hired quickly, it is just as easy to find examples of AD searches that took much longer than 2-3 weeks.

If a P5 AD shark is swimming around in the water, let's make sure we land him properly.

View attachment 164315

The highlighted part is interesting. If it’s a current P5 AD, I would assume they know the importance of a competent Football program and having a quality coach will affect his own tenure and potential earnings.

With that said, if we have Mario in the bag, securing the AD from that standpoint shouldn’t be difficult IMO. If the potential ADs believe we don’t have Mario in the bag, I can understand the hesitation for an AD to hitch his wagon to the university and their commitment to athletics.

Just some of my thoughts from your post. 👍

Maybe the problem is …
The more power you give the AD, the less enthusiastic Mario has for coming here.
The less power you give the AD, the harder it is to find a strong AD.

I don’t understand a possible Mario-Alonzo alliance. Why would Mario want a football-specific AD who is a scouting guru? That’ll probably alienate Mario — having a guy supervising him too closely.
Zo: Hey, there’s this great right tackle in South Carolina. We should pull out all stops to recruit him
Mario: Sorry. I have other plans for that slot.
Zo: But this SC kid will solve a lot of problems for us. Let’s get him.
Mario: Nope. I have a portal kid who will fill that slot.
Zo: Well, go for both.
Mario: Can’t. I’m running out of slots and I’ve got to fix our linebacker mess.
Zo: Big mistake.
Mario: I like to make my own mistakes. Go figure out how to build an on-campus stadium. Get off of my turf.
Zo: F$&k you
Mario: F$&k you

Navarro actually doenst like Diaz as a coach and clowned the hire from day 1. I know he gets the rep of protecting Diaz but hes the one that called him a dumbass on his pod or w.e.

he wants Mario here too. hes just reporting what hes getting through his athletic sources. better than terminator dip**** tweeting eyeballs
Manny is that you?

j/k

Advertisement
Back