Mike Ryan/AD Update - 12/2

Maybe a bad example on my end: Think of it as in a real word situation, you already have a job lined up and in your current job you are on the hot seat and might get fired. Before the hammer is dropped on your head, you put in your two weeks and move on.
I completely agree with that, it's just funny people act like he turned Miami down which is clearly not the case IMO.

Advertisement
How does the process “appear” to be working? That just seems to be the optimistic view. Given how this program and university have run for the past 20 years, it makes way more sense to be pessimistic.
Turnkey ZRG knows what the **** they are doing. They brought Mike Bohn to USC. After Garrett, Haden and Swann, they jumped from cronyism to professionalism. I believe Bohn used Turnkey to pull in Riley.

Although interesting and anecdotal, what happened over the past 15 years is water over the bridge. It is only relevant if Miami is going status quo.

Change is hard. Change is messy. Although change is business, it can be very personal. The old guard always goes bat ***** crazy dealing with change. We are seeing that right now.

I buy into the fact that the University understands Hecht has imploded. Should they have done this 6 months ago? Yes, it is irrelevant at this point after than a lessons learned.

Last edited:
College Football Reaction GIF by SEC Network
1638465217276.gif

Turnkey ZRG knows what the **** they are doing. They brought Mike Bohn to USC. After Garrett, Haden and Swann, they jumped from cronyism to professionalism. I believe Bohn used Turnkey to pull in Riley.

Although interesting and anecdotal, what happened over the past 15 years is water over the bridge. It is only relevant if Miami is going status quo.

Change is hard. Change is messy. Although change is business, it can be very personal. The old guard always goes bull ***** crazy dealing with change.

I buy into the fact that the University understands Hecht has imploded. Should they have done this 6 months ago? Yes, it is irrelevant at this point after than a lessons learned.
Hope you are right. I’m just mentally battered by our history.

Advertisement
Besides the absurdity of needing an additional week to sort the AD position, this last sentence is a little concerning, but I'll still take it if it means we're finally a perennial top 5 team in a few years.

The AD needs to have some control over football.

For instance, if Mario can't break through 10 wins and get into the playoffs because he doesn't pass the ball enough, or becomes too loyal to an assistant and that part of the team is the last thing needed to break from strong team to elite, then Mario needs to have someone talk straight to him with the slight threat that he needs to make changes, however, he will be looked to for those changes and not the AD or BOT's.

That last part is the only thing that makes my stomach a little funny. Accountability is needed at every level. That stated, I definitely believe that Mario needs, and will require, a lot of rope and latitude to build the program, which will include some pops of failure along the way.
Having a weak AD had us stuck with a bff for defensive coordinator, and an inexperienced son as a QB coach. There has to be checks and balances.

They hired a search firm for the AD position... and thats why its taking time. What type of search firm wouldn't do proper and exhaustive research?

We have heard over and over the problem is with the people leaking info because of their own agenda and it makes perfect sense that the firm would take time. They didn't hire these guys to make a quick decision... they hired them to make the right decision.
If people don't understand how search firms work there's not much you can do to help them. If you've ever worked with a headhunter for a job you know the things you have to go through to qualify yourself to that firm before they will present you.

OU has 2? playoff appearances under Riley in the better conference (b12 is marquee but better than pac 12) and also one of the best offensive minds in football. along w that, hes produced what 3 heisman QBs or so and multiple number 1 picks at the position including b2b number 1s?
Fair. He has two 1st rd QBs to one for Oregon. I'll concede the SOS part as well. 22-4 vs 11-14. That has to be worth the difference. No?

Advertisement
Absolutely correct.

"Seven hours - not enough time!"...

"Seven days - way too long!"...

"Hire a search firm and let it do its job!"...

"We don't need no stinkin' search firm!"...
I mean I assume there are different groups being vocal at different points but it is funny to see the dichotomy on here. Very much proof that no choice will ever make everyone happy.

Advertisement
Advertisement
They hired a search firm for the AD position... and thats why its taking time. What type of search firm wouldn't do proper and exhaustive research?

We have heard over and over the problem is with the people leaking info because of their own agenda and it makes perfect sense that the firm would take time. They didn't hire these guys to make a quick decision... they hired them to make the right decision.

Wait, you mean you don't pay a search firm more money for speed? I thought Zip Recruiter gets you a quality candidate in a day or two?

Advertisement
Back