Mike Jackson of Palmetto is this years TuTu Atwell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
What part surprised you?
I never knew his actual stat line from real ball. I knew he was a superstar flag football player and his route running skills and open field ability looked like it would translate to the next level. No way should we have taken him if that was his stat line.

Excuse me what?

Yeah, he was a JAG in high school:

"Named to 2017 Miami Herald All-Dade First Team…Totaled over 1,000 yards receiving and 12 touchdowns throughout prep career…Hauled in 37 receptions for 619 yards and seven touchdowns during junior season…Registered 117 yards receiving and caught pair of touchdowns in 2017 FHSAA Regional Playoffs against Miami High School…Named to 2016 Miami Herald First Team All-Dade Football Team"

What part surprised you?

GC, come on man, you're stretching here. Pope has vastly underperformed expectations. But the kid was lighting in a bottle in HS, and his potential is incredible. I think he puts it together next year with a little more confidence working with King.

Advertisement
Regardless of Pope’s stars in hs, I still think he would’ve put up numbers in a better offense early in his career. There’s a reason Bama wanted him, they haven’t been missing at WR. Another thing to think about is who the **** was his QB at southridge?

Yeah, he was a JAG in high school:

"Named to 2017 Miami Herald All-Dade First Team…Totaled over 1,000 yards receiving and 12 touchdowns throughout prep career…Hauled in 37 receptions for 619 yards and seven touchdowns during junior season…Registered 117 yards receiving and caught pair of touchdowns in 2017 FHSAA Regional Playoffs against Miami High School…Named to 2016 Miami Herald First Team All-Dade Football Team"
Man the name Mark Pope rung bells even in Texas when he came to me with that stat line I was flabbergasted lol

awaiting Mike Jackson of Palmetto is this years TuTu Atwell 2.0

GC, come on man, you're stretching here. Pope has vastly underperformed expectations. But the kid was lighting in a bottle in HS, and his potential is incredible. I think he puts it together next year with a little more confidence working with King.
Man the name Mark Pope rung bells even in Texas when he came to me with that stat line I was flabbergasted lol
1000 yards & 12 TDs in 4 years is impressive to yall?? And the 200 yards his senior year is an accurate stat

Advertisement
1000 yards & 12 TDs in 4 years is impressive to yall?? And the 200 yards his senior year is an accurate stat
Mark Pope was a high 4-star player based on projection and its regarded as a good take because he was a high 4-star player...but its beyond some here to say that Tutu Atwell was misevaluated because decision makers did not actually project him, yet he was the county player of the year winning a state title and Mark Pope was a dece player for a 7-4 Southridge team getting bounced by Miami High (lol) in the playoffs.

Tutu Atwell had more yards and touchdowns in his freshman year as the WR4 for Louisville than Mark Pope has had up until November of his junior year.

Its not a stretch to say that Tutu was a better prospect than Mark Pope, was always better than Mark Pope, will always be a better player than Mark Pope and that the websites, the Miami Hurricanes, and everyone but Louisville (and the G5) missed on this guy.

Over the past decade...Louisville has 78 wins, 4 bowl wins, 4 Top 25 finishes on the back of players they plucked from Miami-Dade County like Teddy Bridgewater, Eli Rogers, Lamar Jackson, Tutu Atwell, John Miller, among others. Miami over that same period has 83 wins (one pending today), 1 bowl win, and 2 Top 25 finishes (the latter two numbers pending today's outcome). Maybe the fact that a kid ends up at Louisville as a mid-3 star player isn't some stretch to say that player should have been signed by Miami when he lives down the road from the school. Blows my mind that anyone would defend this buffoonery. Its not like these players ended up in the FCS or anything...they ended up in the ACC at a program that over the past decade has basically been on Miami's level.

I stopped reading after a couple paragraphs. It's everything that's wrong with the discussion on evals.

"IF YOU CLAIM MIAMI MADE A BAD EVAL, so did over 60 other Power Five schools."

That's got to be amongst the most absurd things I've ever read on this site. You miss both the concept of evals and the reality of cfb recruiting. 60 schools aren't evaluating every kid in every region, or even every kid in miami. They may hit a radar screen but they ain't spending real time and resources on every kid they read about. Some kids become nationally recruited or regionally recruited because that's how the system works. Others slip through the cracks. Can be size, injuries, when they started playing, who played ahead of them, whether they made the camp circuit. Doesn't really matter. The point is that the local school is supposed to be the one that figures out which kids in its own back yard are worth offers, irrespective of what some idiotic recruiting services say. And surely irrespective of what the rest of D1 programs outside their backyard say.

Now you can try to say hindsight blah blah, but that's also an weak point. Because it's not even true, and it doesn't help anyone understand recruiting. This isn't some board game or recruiting site debate. Figuring out which kids to offer is the staff's effin job. And it's not just hindsight. If you learn who to pay attention to on the relevant UM sites, and there are several sites and several folks to pay attention to, you can quickly figure out that there's a pattern to the stupidity. There are plenty of kids over time that the locals knew would be good (or conversely not good), and UM staffs didn't take them, or did, because not only did they suck at evals, they also sucked at paying attention to information a fan with a computer could access.

If we were somehow hitting on evals well and it was a rare kid here or there, meh, that's random. But that ain't the truth. And there were people on this site talking about Atwell, the guy you responded to included. So you say hindsight because you think it makes you sound smart, while he was actually there with - get this - foresight. Meanwhile, it wasn't just Atwell. Elijah Moore wanted in that class and others on this site preferred him. No one I recall wanted Ezzard. That was just Dugans and Richt mis-evaluating WRs.
Couldnt answer it better myself.

These dudes defer to the coaches on everything out of one mouth and then call them out and say they need to be fired or are clueless in the other.

Tu Tu Atwell was a MIAMI miss. He played at f*cking Miami Northwestern....our #1 feeder school. He wasnt a sr year find...Tu Tu was known for YEARS as a playmaker. He wasnt caught up on being a college qb at all. The fact that he typed about Dee Wiggins in reference/comparison with Tu Tu is all i need to know. Dee Wiggins? Ezzard? lol. I was on here screaming to offer Tu Tu. Didnt care much for Pope or Wiggins...and @Coach Macho was on the Elijah Moore brigade.

Lol @ there wasnt tape....what tape was the under 40 catches between the two of them (Pope /Wiggins) of production really prove?. They had no foresight to see his skills translate...Louisville did. Miami Northwestern was good to them...and the guys they had from The West let them know Tu Tu was the real deal.

This happens alot with guys not from South Florida trying to evaluate south florida guys. Im almost certain there are a few posters on here with limited resources that can evaluate hs football talent better than our current and previous staffs who got paid bi weekly. I know my hit rate is better than theres for sure lol

Last edited:
Advertisement
Go ***** yourself.

Atwell was in the Top 750 players. Schools can sign 25 players per year. To oversimplify for a moment, that means he could conceivably expect to snag an offer once the Top 30 recruiting classes are filled up. Which means (roughly) that Atwell would have been considered a "reach" for, say, the Top 20 to 25 recruiting classes. But that also means he was a prime target for at least 40 Power 5 programs.

Furthermore, Atwell went to Miami Northwestern. Not exactly a "fall through the cracks" school.

As for the rest of your delusional post, it's largely based on some concept that the coaches pay attention to the boards in order to do recruiting. Bottom line, this thread is about TuTu Atwell, not every single WR that Miami has recruited for 20 years.

And on the subject of evals, it is NOT Miami's "job" to evaluate every kid in SoFla for the benefit of every other program in the country. If Miami wanted to change TuTu's position from QB to WR, that is up to them. We were not interested in taking a developmental ATH who we would convert from QB to WR. We took 4 WRs who were already WRs.

Lol @ developmental. He hit the ground running at Louisville. It was under 2 weeks before he sat all there wrs who were already wrs to the bench/portal and was taking reps. He weighed 150 pounds then and their hc was saying "sh*t i need to find a way to get him the ball"

Again dont know how much i got to say it..He routinely played wr in the camp circuit ...NOT QB. He was on the sf. express 7 on 7 team playing..WR. Tu Tu also played multiple positions coming out of optomist ball..wrs included. Its MIAMI's job to evaluate every **** elite player from their feeder school.

This whole thing about changing position is completely stupid considering he wasnt locked in as a qb....ANDDDDD we had success with a similar kid in Roscoe Parrish who did the EXACT same thing Tu Tu did in high school.

I never knew his actual stat line from real ball. I knew he was a superstar flag football player and his route running skills and open field ability looked like it would translate to the next level. No way should we have taken him if that was his stat line.
Just goes to show the most important thing to look for in a recruit is high school production. And with a quarterback I like to look at win loss record. Jarren was like .500 or close to it in high school. This 7v7 camp stuff is only to supplement actual games

No. I recognize your need to keep it real and embrace the “local legend” mystique of an otherwise ok undersized slot receiver who has about the same production as Mike Harley. I don’t. He’s been underwhelming this year, inconsistent his entire career, and will struggle to make (and remain on) an NFL roster.
Roscoe was a local legend as well...so im not sure what you getting at there.

LOL also im glad your over here....how you like that #23 eval for my dolphins still considering the whole season played out?. * shooting the sh*t wth you..not personal*. Thats the 1 pick i hated when we made it as a reach...Flores hit on everything else so far inb that draft. This offseason me and u gonna go at it with who we should take with our 2 picks.

Advertisement
Overall, lots of HS QBs end up at WR. Many of these high school coaches put their most dynamic player at QB to win games, regardless of where they project in college and beyond. Especially with some of the simpler offensive systems, or schemes that allow for more improvisation. It's up to the college coaches to evaluate them and determine where those players project best in their system.

On Tutu specifically, I'm not 100% certain but I could have sworn Tutu came to Paradise as a junior and he was working out at WR at Under Armour Miami before that. If my recollection is accurate (I could be wrong, guys like @gogeta4, @Coach Macho, and @Liberty City El would probably know better than me), then it would seem like a bad move to bring him to Paradise and not work him out live at WR when the staff should have already known he was willing to work at WR (based on other camps).

Another thread killed. Mods please make a thread titled "thread killers" so they can post whatever topics they want to discuss so we can try to keep threads on topic.
Dont think this thread is killed. I think we see something similar with Jackson in his recruitment like we do with s.fla smaller wr's. This thread is good right now imo

Hilarious.

Here's some shocking news for you...NO recruiting service gives a WR rating to a kid that plays QB. Regardless of size.

Mind...blown.

The whole "size" issue is just you whining. If Atwell was so fired up to play WR...hmmm...let's see...he could have refused the QB offer from FAU...he could have contacted Rivals/247 to be listed as an ATH instead of a QB...he could have used the summer to train as a WR and put some of his sweet, sweet WR moves on tape.

But...THERE WAS NO TAPE. There's no tape of TuTu Atwell playing WR.

Nobody is "relying on recruiting services". Over 120 Division I-A schools could have offered Atwell. Very few did. Don't be mad at me for stating facts.
I know i addressed it in other post. But you are literally wrong about all of this you wrote. HE DID EVERYTHING YOU SAID LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back