Mike Jackson of Palmetto is this years TuTu Atwell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get what most are saying about missing on these guys that are playing in the league right now.....but seriously do you think if they came here they would have developed into what they are now? **** to the ******* no...cause coaches havent been able to develop the guys that do come here. Some make it to NFL but most are backups/ST guys
That's a fair question. My answer is this...

We never signed any kids with the physical abilities of Tutu Atwell or Isaiah McKenzie, period. We haven't had a kid with that level of speed/agility since Phillip Dorsett. It's not like Louisville and Georgia did anything unique to develop those guys. They contributed from the moment they stepped on campus because they provided a unique blend of speed/wiggle, so at bare minimum they would've given us the ability to score on special teams and create mis-matches at the slot position. IMO Atwell and McKenzie weren't successful because they were "developed".

Again, very fair question but we'll never know. I can say this, I'd rather sign kids like that and find out rather than let explosive play-makers continue to leave our area code.

Advertisement
I personally took him to Al Golden and staff and they ignored him (Mckenzie). I took him up to fsu and Jimbo told him he was top priority on their board. Watching his recruitment was embarrassing as a cane fan.
Mannnn I was on the McKenzie bus heavy back then!

I was constantly b!tching and moaning about Miami not offering McKenzie, Fabian Moreau and Juwan Dowels. (2 NFL players and a 4 year college starter)

We never signed any kids with the physical abilities of Tutu Atwell or Isaiah McKenzie, period. We haven't had a kid with that level of speed/agility since Phillip Dorsett. It's not like Louisville and Georgia did anything unique to develop those guys. They contributed from the moment they stepped on campus because they provided a unique blend of speed/wiggle, so at bare minimum they would've given us the ability to score on special teams and create mis-matches at the slot position. IMO Atwell and McKenzie weren't successful because they were "developed".

Again, very fair question but we'll never know. I can say this, I'd rather sign kids like that and find out rather than let explosive play-makers continue to leave our area code.

Do you think Brashard or Malik could be that level? I do

I personally took him to Al Golden and staff and they ignored him (Mckenzie). I took him up to fsu and Jimbo told him he was top priority on their board. Watching his recruitment was embarrassing as a cane fan.
Maybe one day we will get a staff that just goes about thing in a logical manner and gets out of their own way. We do a wonderful job of getting in our own way, missing opportunities, and overcomplicating everything.

Advertisement
Maybe one day we will get a staff that just goes about thing in a logical manner and gets out of their own way. We do a wonderful job of getting in our own way, missing opportunities, and overcomplicating everything.
My coaching mentor, who coached Jon Feliciano and personally brought him to Miami's spring game to try and get him an offer, has been saying for years that Miami over-thinks their recruiting. And I agree. They recruit with an obsession over certain physical attributes as if they're trying to assemble an NFL team rather than an ACC competitor. They'll sign a mediocre cover guy because he's 6'1" while neglecting the best pure cover guy in the area just because he's 5'10".

I was a huge Juwan Dowels fan. Kid had like 10 picks his senior year.
And 7 the year before.
Kid was an INT machine.
Miami didn't like his size. They act like redshirts don't exist.
Kid took a redshirt and was 188lbs by spring football and ran a laser 4.47 forty.

If I remember correctly we offered Bethel from Booker T instead. Kid ended up transferring to Texas Tech.

But that's Miami and their lack of foresight or ability to project a kid.

My coaching mentor, who coached Jon Feliciano and personally brought him to Miami's spring game to try and get him an offer, has been saying for years that Miami over-thinks their recruiting. And I agree. They recruit with an obsession over certain physical attributes as if they're trying to assemble an NFL team rather than an ACC competitor. They'll sign a mediocre cover guy because he's 6'1" while neglecting the best pure cover guy in the area just because he's 5'10".
It’s incredible that we have had four straight coaches with this problem and a massive roster hole because of it. Shannon and WR, Golden and DT, and then Richt/Diaz jointly with LB and DB. Then had the pleasure under Richt of having a center and guards but no tackles, and now having tackles but no guards or center.

Advertisement

My only piggyback on this take is...we don't take these guys, they ball out elsewhere, and we are here with some mid and we are a mid type program. Maybe...hear me out...if we actually got these guys, we wouldn't be mid.

I don't think players would come down to our level, IMO, I think these players...if we get enough...would take our program up to THEIR level.

Playmakers make plays regardless of the situation, especially at WR.

There will always be bad decisions. I remember everyone under the sun wanted Ivan Sticks McCarthy and he flamed out. It happens.

The issue is the hit-to-miss ratio, especially with impact players. Miami coaches have been way below acceptable levels on that metric since Butch left. And the high school and 7x7 coaches plus a few other guys that really follow local HS sports on this board definitely have a higher hit ratio than the current and recent past regimes at the U, especially at CB. But also at LB, RB, WR, DT, OL, DE every **** position.

This is crowd-sourcing at its finest. From my experience, when a board consensus emerges that a player should be offered, pay attention.
the one position where the consensus is really spotty is OL. I have a different rule on OL. When the people who are close to local HS FB say ‘don’t offer,’ they’re always right. However, I’m much less clear on whether the consensus of ‘good’ has much historical accuracy for local Ol.

i think it’s worth considering that these perspectives may be independent variables - that is, the reasons not to offer can be based on a view of the presence or absence of different traits from the reasons to offer. for OL, the obvious kids have had support locally and by most of our staffs. there are a few kids i can recall over the years who locals liked and we didn’t try hard enough on. most of our misses were just kids we didn’t recruit well enough, not kids we overlooked. don’t know what to make of it all. one generalization is this is just a unique position and most people aren’t qualified to assess it.

the obvious kids over the years had no dissention - orlando franklin, flowers, linder, darling, mcdermott. one kid the staff was right about but wasn’t as clear to fans was derrick morse. but our staffs have taken a bunch of kids over the years they never should have, and those kids the fans have been right about. brandon loftus was one - ‘not a D1 recruit’ was the comment by one knowledgeable fla hs evaluator.

And 7 the year before.
Kid was an INT machine.
Miami didn't like his size. They act like redshirts don't exist.
Kid took a redshirt and was 188lbs by spring football and ran a laser 4.47 forty.

If I remember correctly we offered Bethel from Booker T instead. Kid ended up transferring to Texas Tech.

But that's Miami and their lack of foresight or ability to project a kid.

Do you think it’s due to us not having, subconsciously, faith in developing guys? I mean, I’m looking at Huff for instance. Nik was said to be a “tweener” & we just let him go to OU, and now he’s a premier defensive player in the Big 12. I’m just wondering w/ us constantly putting physical attributes over talent, r we more drawn to guys that need less physical development.

Do you think it’s due to us not having, subconsciously, faith in developing guys? I mean, I’m looking at Huff for instance. Nik was said to be a “tweener” & we just let him go to OU, and now he’s a premier defensive player in the Big 12. I’m just wondering w/ us constantly putting physical attributes over talent, r we more drawn to guys that need less physical development.
I don't think its a lack of faith in development for two reasons. First, this stuff went on back under Randy, who liked his corners big, and that was back when we (arguably) actually developed! We've combined two traits that are glaring when combined - quirky size requirements for certain positions along with terrible evaluation skills. Bakas had a melt down over some interested corner - Ricardo Allen maybe? - who Randy wouldn't offer. If you're going to narrow your funnel you better be good at finding what you need in the kids you don't eliminate from the funnel. This is all compounded because So Fla is so deep in quick CBs but we miss half of them because they haven't fit our preference for height. For some reason this issue has persisted, too -- probably because Rumph personifies and shares Randy's view, despite the protestations of some on the Internet that he really likes smaller CBs and its everyone else who insists on ruling them out.

Second, for a lack of faith in development to explain our recruiting, you'd have to conclude that our staff is smart, logical, self-aware, honest and humble. I think they more likely subscribe to the cool aid flavor popular around fan sites, which is that we keep sending kids to the nfl so clearly we're great in development.

Advertisement
I don't think its a lack of faith in development for two reasons. First, this stuff went on back under Randy, who liked his corners big, and that was back when we (arguably) actually developed! We've combined two traits that are glaring when combined - quirky size requirements for certain positions along with terrible evaluation skills. Bakas had a melt down over some interested corner - Ricardo Allen maybe? - who Randy wouldn't offer. If you're going to narrow your funnel you better be good at finding what you need in the kids you don't eliminate from the funnel. This is all compounded because So Fla is so deep in quick CBs but we miss half of them because they haven't fit our preference for height. For some reason this issue has persisted, too -- probably because Rumph personifies and shares Randy's view, despite the protestations of some on the Internet that he really likes smaller CBs and its everyone else who insists on ruling them out.

Second, for a lack of faith in development to explain our recruiting, you'd have to conclude that our staff is smart, logical, self-aware, honest and humble. I think they more likely subscribe to the cool aid flavor popular around fan sites, which is that we keep sending kids to the nfl so clearly we're great in development.

Great points

If you ball out in high school you might ball out in college. But if you don’t ball out in high school in actual games with pads you won’t ball out in college. Cue the Pope Wiggins story. Guys were killing it in south Florida and didn’t even get a look from us while the guys we took were meh

Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back