Mike Harley

I thought he was our second best receiver last year. He gets open and plays hard. One of the few guys who didn’t look like he was phoning it in last year.
Gets open? Really? Besides the Lousville game, when did he get sooo open? Hence, yall crowning this cat similar to how Phillip Dorsett used to get open.

Advertisement
Biggest issue with WR in 2019 was weakness at QB and horrible offensive scheme and play calling. Yes OL was an issue .. but a good OC and quality QB would have minimized the impact. Really believe the trio of OC, OL coach, and WR coach .. all with experience in an up tempo spread offense will pay tremendous dividends. Add to that King, who comes from the same offense, and UM should be able to have 11 guys on the field .. all on the same page .. by Sept 5th. Really curious to see how the back up QB drama unfolds. WR's and RB's should be getting some YAC in this offense .. and 3rd down conversion % should improve dramatically.
I mean, our receivers are soft. They can’t beat press coverage. Teams figured that out and we got beat. If our receivers can’t get open vs FIU, Duke and LaTech then that’s all you need to know...

Can be productive in a spread system no doubt. Plays hard and deserves our love for his effort and commitment to the school.
However, my guess is that Wiggins benefits the most from the spread as our stretch the field player assuming his hands work

Advertisement
I'm thinking the whole receiver group will look immensely better in the new system. Everyone in the two deep will get quality reps. I'm not ready to say that Harley will be the go to guy. That will depend on who King trusts the most and it's impossible to tell as of now.

Harley’s legs are moving 100 mph but he never pulls away from anyone..decent player but we need better
Reminds me of as a kid when making a player in madden and dumping all points into speed while being completely ignorant of the acceleration aspect and then wondering why dude was so slow.

There are lots of receivers I hope will have breakout seasons. The ones I expect the most are Pope, Wiggins and Payton, with a splash of Redding. I also think Jordan will be a top receiving target, as will our RBs.

Call me crazy but I’ve felt we’ve under utilized our NFL caliber TEs for years. Took Richt half a season to get going with both Njoku and Herndon. And Jordan was hamstrung by Rosier and Perry. Williams got him the ball more but inconsistently.

Same thing with our RBs. Duke was criminally underutilized until his third year, and even then he should have been targeted a lot more instead of those 6 second plays Kaaya was famous for. Walton and Deejay tied for a close second.

What I’d love to see specifically with Harley is him blowing the top off the coverage. We always thought he could be like Dorsett and now we finally have the type of QB who can hit him when the safeties sneak up to spy or blitz. I k ow he’s a better router runner than Philip. But he also goes down to quickly. I think there are better options underneath on most snaps.

Advertisement
Man people have short memories around here. I remember Harley dropping alot of balls. Blocking poorly. And not fighting for the ball enough when its thrown his way. He comes with enthusiasm and obviously takes the game seriously. It clearly bothers him when he makes a mistake but those mistakes are often on the field. He has to up his game big time to become the player you guys are envisioning. Props to Mike if he can step his game up.
Granted I checked out last year but I recall Harley being a pretty good blocker. Maybe not though.

Biggest issue with WR in 2019 was weakness at QB and horrible offensive scheme and play calling. Yes OL was an issue .. but a good OC and quality QB would have minimized the impact. Really believe the trio of OC, OL coach, and WR coach .. all with experience in an up tempo spread offense will pay tremendous dividends. Add to that King, who comes from the same offense, and UM should be able to have 11 guys on the field .. all on the same page .. by Sept 5th. Really curious to see how the back up QB drama unfolds. WR's and RB's should be getting some YAC in this offense .. and 3rd down conversion % should improve dramatically.

N’Kosi will be the back up and may have to play some this year. Running quarterbacks get nicked up more.

N’kosi will start 2021 and will be All ACC if Lashlee stays.

@BigBoi

I was buying Berrios stock when it was worth pennies.

He was ridiculed and labeled a bust up til his senior year.

Now he is a Hurricanes legend. All it takes is using your guys properly. Berrios is a prime example of why we should stop giving up on our guys when they aren’t all Americans as true sophomores rushed onto the field because our corches can’t manage the roster.

Berrios was misused and looked like trash. Richt figures it out a LITTLE BIT and now he is one of the most loved players to come through here.

Advertisement
We can come up with every reason possible for what's happened. One thing is certain. Everyone in the WR room needs to step up their game....

The only wr I'm paying attention to this year is Cager... I'll know all I need to know by next years draft

Advertisement
tenor.gif

I’d love to see this kid have some green grass around him for once. We know he can run.
Had green grass. He gets ran down. Our speed guys never seem to pull away from people consistently. Harley pants look too big on him. Maybe that's why?

Gets open? Really? Besides the Lousville game, when did he get sooo open? Hence, yall crowning this cat similar to how Phillip Dorsett used to get open.
The only person who caught more passes than Harley was K.J. Osborne. Hard to catch 38 balls if you’re never open.

Advertisement
Back