Michigan Runs Bro Style

Ding ding ding. This

The technical philosophy is a pro-spread, but this answer is the actual correct answer. They predicate what they run based upon what it shown. They have a base, & from that base they’ll adjust it in many variations (motion, unbalanced, leverage, zone, counter, etc.)

It’s why even though they avg. less yards/game, including rushing than us they are 8th in total offensive TDs, and 14th in scoring. They run an efficient offense + having an elite defense that constantly gives them good field position.
Was about to say, it helps when your defense never allows more than 24.

Advertisement
Cristobal will never be a coaching genius. But i have no doubt, if he gets time that Harbaugh had and prolly even sooner. He will not only build a similar team, he will build a better team. Because he will recruit better skill players. No question in my mind. Its simply about time frame. Michigan went 26 years between titles btw.
Michigan wasn't built brick by brick over the years by Jim. He started winning games right away

Last edited:
Ding ding ding. This

The technical philosophy is a pro-spread, but this answer is the actual correct answer. They predicate what they run based upon what it shown. They have a base, & from that base they’ll adjust it in many variations (motion, unbalanced, leverage, zone, counter, etc.)

It’s why even though they avg. less yards/game, including rushing than us they are 8th in total offensive TDs, and 14th in scoring. They run an efficient offense + having an elite defense that constantly gives them good field position.
Last night, in the 1Q, they lined everybody up on one side, Washington had all their defense their, and Michigan ran it opposite where they knew nobody else would be.

To the field position point, their special teams has been good all year long. Which is a Harbaugh staple. First time they made mistakes was in the Rose Bowl and then they played clean AF game last night.

Michigan does a great job never getting out of who they are, mainly on defense, while forcing other teams to be something they're usually not. They never panic. They never flinch. They believe in what they're doing and it's impressive.

Michigan want built brick by brick over the years by Jim. He started winning games right away
Yeah you could say that, but he also had a different starting point. Cristobal also started winning immediately at Oregon. And was top 6 in win percentage in FBS in the period at Oregon. Different circumstances. Said what i said, you can say and believe what you believe and its all fine. He will build it.

What Harbaugh did in San Francisco was one of the more impressive coaching jobs I’ve ever seen. They were a disaster from top to bottom before he arrived

Mario built up FIU and Harbaugh built up the 49ers

Harbaugh knows what works and knows what he wants to do

Mario knows what he wants to do but he doesn’t know what works other than watching others
Mario watched Butch for 3yrs..as well as Saban. One who built the Greatest Collection of talent in NCAA History...the other NC, after NC.... how much more watching does one need???

Advertisement
Yeah you could say that, but he also had a different starting point. Cristobal also started winning immediately at Oregon. And was top 6 in win percentage in FBS in the period at Oregon. Different circumstances. Said what i said, you can say and believe what you believe and its all fine. He will build it.
Indeed very different starting point. Jim took over a 5-7 team and won immediately. Mario took over a 7 win team and started losing immediately. You can check this chart for examples of "building" with loser players. https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/updated-chart.189801/

When Mario talks about "we" took over a losing team and turned Oregon around he failed to mention that "we" was Taggart.

We can all believe what we want as you've said. It's just anyone who has followed that advice in the last 40 years was wrong.

Indeed very different starting point. Jim took over a 5-7 team and won immediately. Mario took over a 7 win team and started losing immediately. You can check this chart for examples of "building" with loser players. https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/updated-chart.189801/

When Mario talks about "we" took over a losing team and turned Oregon around he failed to mention that "we" was Taggart.

We can all believe what we want as you've said. It's just anyone who has followed that advice in the last 40 years was wrong.
He took over a 7-5 team from Taggart. Argue semantics, cry dont matter. Put all the charts up, dont matter. You know why? He is gonna be here,and he gonna build it,and im here for it. Thats why they gave him a 10 year contract cuz **** was run into the toilet. Bleeding players from out backyard. Culture problems,multiple things at once. Michigan and Oregon didnt have those issues along with insane expecatations.

What Harbaugh did in San Francisco was one of the more impressive coaching jobs I’ve ever seen. They were a disaster from top to bottom before he arrived

Mario built up FIU and Harbaugh built up the 49ers

Harbaugh knows what works and knows what he wants to do

Mario knows what he wants to do but he doesn’t know what works other than watching others
**** that makes so much sense

Advertisement
1704829783101.png

He took over a 7-5 team from Taggart. Argue semantics, cry dont matter. Put all the charts up, dont matter. You know why? He is gonna be here,and he gonna build it,and im here for it. Thats why they gave him a 10 year contract cuz **** was run into the toilet. Bleeding players from out backyard. Culture problems,multiple things at once. Michigan and Oregon didnt have those issues along with insane expecatations.
So now you're arguing that 'he's here deal with it.' Just say that from now on. It would simplify things.

I think what's a little disconcerting to me is that I expected Mario's teams to be disciplined and foundationally sound. I do believe Mario will continue to stock the team with better talent, and hopefully better talent means better discipline, but thus far, I can't say we've seen that from Mario. Conversely, I didn't watch too much last night, but Michigan seemed very disciplined and sound from the snippets I watched.

Advertisement
I think what's a little disconcerting to me is that I expected Mario's teams to be disciplined and foundationally sound. I do believe Mario will continue to stock the team with better talent, and hopefully better talent means better discipline, but thus far, I can't say we've seen that from Mario. Conversely, I didn't watch too much last night, but Michigan seemed very disciplined and sound from the snippets I watched.
If Mario team is not as disciplined in 9 years i would be very concerned. I would be concerned if it 4 or 5

According to many posters here on CiS, in order to win a National Championship you have to get top talent (top 5 recruiting classes) for several classes.

Michigan and Washington (and TCU last season) blew this narrative out of the water.

Michigan’s average composite recruiting class score the past five years is 13th.

Washington’s average composite recruiting class the last five years is 25th.

TCU’s average composite recruiting class the last five years is 30th.

That’s 3 out of the last 8 CFP teams (including the 2 finalists this season and the eventual champion) that have been on the low end talent wise according to the recruiting sites.

Coaching and play calling matters more than ever. Thanks to the transfer portal and NIL, there is more and more parity in the sport. Talent is obviously still important, but without competent coaching and play calling, we will not have a winning program again.

Mario better address these issues during the offseason, or his tenure here will be short.

…and for the “it took Harbaugh 9 years to win a title at Michigan. Harbaugh went 20-6 his 1st two seasons at Michigan, and was a proven college and NFL head coach. Comparing Cristobal to him is both asinine and disingenuous.
Stop including 2 teams that LOST. Michigan is actually a team that fits the talent composite argument. They had better players than Washington.

When team like Iowa wins the ****le holler at me.

Stop including 2 teams that LOST. Michigan is actually a team that fits the talent composite argument. They had better players than Washington.

When team like Iowa wins the ****le holler at me.
Those 2 teams that “lost” made it all the way to the championship game. We’ve won 1 bowl game in like 2 decades. Trying to call a team that makes the championship game a loser to try to prop up your point is not a smart take.

Also, Michigan is NOT a good example for the player composite argument. They have the 13th highest blue chip ratio in the last 5 years, according to 24/7.

The argument here on CiS for the longest time has been that in order to win a natty, you have to bring in Top 5 classes multiple times. That argument has now been blown out of the water two years in a row, as even Manny recruited in the low teens, and that got us a big nothing burger.

Talent acquisition is very important. I’m not arguing that. But unless we pair it with competent coaching, play calling and scheme, we will never reach great heights as a program.

Advertisement
Those 2 teams that “lost” made it all the way to the championship game. We’ve won 1 bowl game in like 2 decades. Trying to call a team that makes the championship game a loser to try to prop up your point is not a smart take.

Also, Michigan is NOT a good example for the player composite argument. They have the 13th highest blue chip ratio in the last 5 years, according to 24/7.

The argument here on CiS for the longest time has been that in order to win a natty, you have to bring in Top 5 classes multiple times. That argument has now been blown out of the water two years in a row, as even Manny recruited in the low teens, and that got us a big nothing burger.

Talent acquisition is very important. I’m not arguing that. But unless we pair it with competent coaching, play calling and scheme, we will never reach great heights as a program.
The CIS argument isn’t an argument because Clemson has won it multiple times without top 5 classes. You have to be over 50 percent, period.
And Michigan was.

Why are you including 2 teams that lost. Are we trying to get all the way there and lose!?

And I don’t know if you realize this but its about to get harder to win it all. Washington or TCU only had to win 2 games. Now it’s most likely gonna be 4 games and at the minimum 3. So try winning 3 or 4 games in a row against teams that have more talent than u…good luck.

Last edited:
The CIS argument isn’t an argument because Clemson has won it multiple times without top 5 classes. You have to be over 50 percent, period.
And Michigan was.

Why are you including 2 teams that lost. Are we trying to get all the way there and lose!?

And I don’t know if you realize this but its about to get harder to win it all. Washington or TCU only had to win 2 games. Now it’s most likely gonna be 4 games and at the minimum 3. So try winning 3 or 4 games in a row against teams that have more talent than u…good luck.
Good point.

What made you think that? lol.. Mario teams even at Oregon were highly penalized, lol.. We were #95 this season and last year #94. '21 we were #105 and Oregon was worse at #111. Mario is more recruiting, oline and backend structure to overcome his on field shortcoming.

Michigan was tied for #1 in least penalized. They were #1 in turnover margin. They made no mistakes and forced teams to make mistakes.. They were also one of the top tackling teams in nation per pff.

And Michigan was.

Yeah, we better have good luck with the tremendous amount of corching that we’ve seen the last two years from Mario.

Advertisement
Back