Michigan Runs Bro Style

Advertisement
Their skill guys are better . . . but but but they don't have any 5 stars! They ran the ball 30 times in a row against Ped State. We must run the Air Raid to be successful.

Their offense was on cruise control and then McCarthy got hurt at Penn St and hindered them. It's also the game where they scored their fewest amount of points. They scored at least 30 on the #2 team in country twice this year. Yes paired with a sicko defense, that's enough to win. But their offense came up clutch all year long. Can't knock that. I would love to have their offense and their efficiency.
I give them credit for efficiency but how much of that has to do with their + 19 turnover margin? They barely cracked 400 yards against East Carolina. They barely cracked 300 against Bowling Green. They somehow managed to finish 14th in scoring while being 69th in total offense. Teams that don't move the ball usually don't score a ton but they were almost impossibly efficient. That means they were given a ton of short fields were the offense didn't really have to do much to get points. If their turnover margin returns to the mean, they will struggle to score getting the kind of production their offense gets.

If Miami had been +19 in turnover margin this year, they'd probably be national champions.

Their skill guys are better . . . but but but they don't have any 5 stars! They ran the ball 30 times in a row against Ped State. We must run the Air Raid to be successful.
They have multiple 5 star and high 4 star players on offense. Including their quarterback.

The offense looked like shyyt at times this year. Some of their games were str8 slug fest. Only thing is their QB didnt hand the game to the opps with 3 and 4 picks. Go look at the score of some of their games. Yall be attributing genius to simple things. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Sometimes simple things are genius….
Michigan is national champs by being simple & basic…genius

Advertisement
I give them credit for efficiency but how much of that has to do with their + 19 turnover margin? They barely cracked 400 yards against East Carolina. They barely cracked 300 against Bowling Green. They somehow managed to finish 14th in scoring while being 69th in total offense. Teams that don't move the ball usually don't score a ton but they were almost impossibly efficient. That means they were given a ton of short fields were the offense didn't really have to do much to get points. If their turnover margin returns to the mean, they will struggle to score getting the kind of production their offense gets.

If Miami had been +19 in turnover margin this year, they'd probably be national champions.
JJ had 3 picks vs Bowling Greeen if i recall. Thats cruise control for them lol 1st and 3rd game of the year. Keeping the ball leads to efficiency and scoring

EDIT: want to add they were also without Harbaugh the first 3 games and last 3 games

Last edited:
JJ had 3 picks vs Bowling Greeen if i recall. Thats cruise control for them lol 1st and 3rd game of the year. Keeping the ball leads to efficiency and scoring
Moving the ball usually leads to scoring. The only way to score a lot of points without moving the ball is either defense/special teams scores or getting the ball in fantastic field position all game. You can't rely on just having a huge turnover advantage year over year. We saw first hand how our scoring fell off a cliff when we couldn't maintain our ridiculous turnover margin from 2017 to 2018. Personally, I would prefer an offense that isn't reliant on so many other factors to score points.

You can win with pretty much any style of football as long as you have have good coaching and a decent amount of talent.

Mario's problems aren't that he's "Bro Style" and being run-first but with stupefying clock management and calling timeouts at random situations.

Advertisement

They never beat themselves. Their is a formula to win this way. Its not doing things to lose the game like Jacolby been doing over and over, and James Williams the years before. Playing great sound defense and running the ball.

Look, let's not confuse what Michigan did with offense and talks of "bro ball". Michigan had the #1 defense in the country. That's why they won a national championship. On offense, in their last 6 games, they only averaged 320 ypg. But, I think the takeaway from Michigan and Miami (and others honestly) this year is you don't need a game changing QB to win a NC or be successful. You just need to take care of the football and wear teams down on both sides. McCarthy threw 1 INT in his last 12 games.

I mean, look at Miami. Regardless of your feelings around Dawson, we beat Clemson and we were beating FSU with a QB that could only complete screen passes. That is something that shouldn't be ignored. And our defense wasn't great, it was pretty good. This "bro ball" on offense is not going to win you games without a defense that is nasty. But we are not anywhere near there yet on defense.

The offense looked like shyyt at times this year. Some of their games were str8 slug fest. Only thing is their QB didnt hand the game to the opps with 3 and 4 picks. Go look at the score of some of their games. Yall be attributing genius to simple things. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I totally agree with you Supa💪🏾. If the Canes had a functional Qb this past season, no doubt 10+ wins could’ve been attained.

I totally agree with you Supa💪🏾. If the Canes had a functional Qb this past season, no doubt 10+ wins could’ve been attained.
People wanna disregard the crippling TOs. If u count GT which we won and Cristobal gave the victory to GT, we won 8 games. Thats why i want a QB who doesnt turn the ball over and throw stupid passes that are not there. Critical mistakes, demoralize the team.

Advertisement
Calling what Michigan does 'bro ball' is about as stupid as Josh Gattis calling his offense 'pace and space'

Michigan uses ALOT of motion, shifts, unbalanced lines in order to catch up slippin. The OC Moore is very creative as well. I, legit, stole their counter toss play from the Bama game.

They want to physically, and mentally, wear you down. It's actually impressive

Bro ball, to me, is what Rutgers did to us about a week ago.
Yes! You are spot on! Rutgers just straight up Manhandled The Canes and we’re far less talented but they got that man man strength compared to our Canes that played. It was very disheartening to see that running back straight up trucking our guys.
People wanna disregard the crippling TOs. If u count GT which we won and Cristobal gave the victory to GT, we won 8 games. Thats why i want a QB who doesnt turn the ball over and throw stupid passes that are not there. Critical mistakes, demoralize the team.
Agree on Qb situation only thing I disagree is that The Honey Bee 🐝 lose was Dawson’s call not Mario, he just took the blame since he didn’t say nothing to stop him.

After winning back-to-back Joe Moore Awards (21-22) Michigan's OL has been crushing defensive opponents on the ground all season long running the ball on 55.6% of their offensive plays. During the regular season on inside zone, Michigan’s most common run play, the Wolverines had a PFF grade of 88.4 and finished seventh among Power Five teams in PFF with a total run-blocking grade of 72.9.
By this November's OSU game, Blake Corum had rushed for more TD's in a single season than any other RB in the history Wolverine football
and by the the playoffs he led all FBS players with 25 rushing touchdowns.

but...but...but...its not bro ball

Last edited:
After winning back-to-back Joe Moore Awards (21-22) Michigan's OL has been crushing defensive opponents on the ground all season long running the ball on 55.6% of their offensive plays. During the regular season on inside zone, Michigan’s most common run play, the Wolverines OL finished with a PFF grade of 88.4 and finished seventh among Power Five teams in PFF with a total run-blocking grade of 72.9.
By this November's OSU game, Blake Corum had rushed for more TD's in a single season than any other RB in the history Wolverine football
and by the the playoffs he led all FBS players with 25 rushing touchdowns.

but...but...but...
Like someone mentioned earlier. I love the term smash-mouth football! It’s what Mario is trying to get the Canes back to. Michigan was in a league of its own this season and it all starts with discipline. Like some have already mentioned here as have I, penalties also have killed us and it hurt our Canes vs Rutgers. I hope JoJo takes George’s spot and shuts down any chance for him to Fock up. Only thing George did consistently this past season was get penalized. I hope Mario gets a portal receiver and Georgie boy goes bye bye.

Advertisement
Like someone mentioned earlier. I love the term smash-mouth football! It’s what Mario is trying to get the Canes back to. Michigan was in a league of its own this season and it all starts with discipline. Like some have already mentioned here as have I, penalties also have killed us and it hurt our Canes vs Rutgers. I hope JoJo takes George’s spot and shuts down any chance for him to Fock up. Only thing George did consistently this past season was get penalized. I hope Mario gets a portal receiver and Georgie boy goes bye bye.
goerge is gonna be a team leader this year :ibis-roflmao-sm3:

What Harbaugh did in San Francisco was one of the more impressive coaching jobs I’ve ever seen. They were a disaster from top to bottom before he arrived

Mario built up FIU and Harbaugh built up the 49ers

Harbaugh knows what works and knows what he wants to do

Mario knows what he wants to do but he doesn’t know what works other than watching others

Matchup team. They find the best matchup and get creative with it.

It helps when your defense is elite fwiw.

Ding ding ding. This

The technical philosophy is a pro-spread, but this answer is the actual correct answer. They predicate what they run based upon what it shown. They have a base, & from that base they’ll adjust it in many variations (motion, unbalanced, leverage, zone, counter, etc.)

It’s why even though they avg. less yards/game, including rushing than us they are 8th in total offensive TDs, and 14th in scoring. They run an efficient offense + having an elite defense that constantly gives them good field position.

Advertisement
Back