Michael Redding season expectations

Nobody wants to admit this but Marshall Few played ahead of Payton last season after Hightower quit and Njoku moved to TE.

Harris, Harley, Jordan, Wiggins, Mallory, Pope, Few, Hodges, Payton, Burns gives us a group of 10 skill position players with experience. You can only play 5 at a time.

Depending on true freshmen who did not have the benefit of spring practice or offseason conditioning is foolhardy and isn't necessary with the allotment of players we return from 2019.

Let them ease their way into things as the season progresses, and call-up whoever displays consistency in practice and makes the most of their opportunities in September.

Most of them are going to be learning basic principles of playing college football in August, so expecting them to contribute early is a pipe-dream.

This isn't 1997 where Wayne, Moss, Jones, King had to play because there were 55 players on scholarship.

We're in good position to allow several experienced vets lead us while the freshmen find their way:

King deserves to play with vets. Sometimes all it takes is one mental mistake on the part of a true freshman to ruin a play.

I could see Knighton playing early, but aside from that I'm just not sold that any of these other young thundercats will be ready.
Who gives af about who played? Zion Nelson played 12 games last year and you wont find 1 person not on opposing team that wants him to play again. Few could have the best work ethic, heart, mind In the country but he shouldnt be 2nd team WR at a Power 5 college.

Advertisement
Probably my favorite recruit we signed last cycle. Simply because we havent had a WR like him in quite some time. He is grown, he has length, he has legit 4.4 speed and he isnt 165 pounds. I love the AJ Brown comparison, LCE. Likens needs to do what he does and turn this kid into one of his future 1st rounders. We need more grown men like him on the outside who dont need to “fill into their frame”. They come into this ***** at 200+ and have seen a weight room before. I think he makes an impact before the end of the year. How big though? Not sure, he is still behind quite a few guys.

The game has changed. You don’t have to be big or physical to be a good WR now with all the rule changes. You need speed, change of direction and crisp route running. Wr are now coming out 185-200 pounds.. the other guys will be just fine. Smith and this kid will get minutes this year.

Advertisement
I really don't get the point of Redshirting WRs when we sign 3-4 every Year. If there not ready to play then yeah redshirt them but if they can make an impact on special teams or Offense then let them play.

I love our incoming WRs. If Redding can catch the ball consistently he should play in this offense. If we can roll waves out there in this heat while running 90 plays, then we'll destroy dead gassed out defenses in the 4th quarter.

The issue most of the time with freshmans WRs is nerves. They drop a pass, then it gets in their heads. We've seen that play out a lot here, and it's the same everywhere. They lose confidence and then lose their spot in the rotation.

Nothing will get a freshmans WR out of the rotation quicker than busting a route that leads to an interception or dropping passes.

Why not?

He's already more PHYSICALLY ready than any WR we have. I don't know if you've actually seen him in person but he's 190lbs rocked up. He's built like a RB. He's also an elite route runner. An ivy league brain.

So what's stopping him from playing as a freshman?
Stop it bro lol. I’d redshirt him easy.

Advertisement
Stop it bro lol. I’d redshirt him easy.
There's no reason whatsoever to redshirt Redding if he's healthy & ready to go by September.

We only have 3 upperclassmen WR's & Payton is a Red Frosh, for depth purposes it makes no sense to shirt Redding when he's the most physically imposing WR we have on the roster even as a TF.

It's not like he has a bunch of bodies in front of him, depending on where they want to play him (either X or Z), he literally only has 1 guy at either spot that would be ahead of him, which means he would be a rotational backup.

In today's game you don't have to redshirt WR's or RB's, in a Air Raid/Spread offense the transition is much easier than you think.

Answer the question.

And redshirt him FOR WHAT?
What development does he need that a redshirt is gonna help him with?
I think people just have an image of Restrepo in their head that can't let them believe he's as good as he actually is. If you look at his measurables, his tape, and the intangibles (all the things that matter), they would see that this kid can play immediately, either in the slot or returning punts/kicks

Restrepo will remain buried behind Harley and Few in the slot in 2020, but will be the front-runner in 2021.

Restrepo will remain buried behind Harley and Few in the slot in 2020, but will be the front-runner in 2021.
I think X you I’ll play at around 195-200 pounds this season. He can play immediately and he’s good enough to handle a workload IMO. They don’t make slot receivers built like Christian McCafferey every day

Advertisement
At least 2 of the frosh wr’s will get significant burn IMO Redding is the most talented out of the group but doesn’t mean he’ll be the one to get it

Waiting to see Redding separate in pads with my own eyes before I make any bold predictions. All I've seen is short HS tape, camp highlights and pics of his muscles. A lot of highly contested catches in the film I saw which shows he can get it in traffic, but I like to see WRs blow past corners at that level.

Advertisement
Waiting to see Redding separate in pads with my own eyes before I make any bold predictions. All I've seen is short HS tape, camp highlights and pics of his muscles. A lot of highly contested catches in the film I saw which shows he can get it in traffic, but I like to see WRs blow past corners at that level.

Yep..one thing that Payton, Redding, Worsham, Smith all have in common when watching their HS tape is a nice ability to make contested catches. Redding looks like a glider to me. Sneaky fast running in a straight line but doesn't always play super fast.

If we running 80 plays a game, no way we redshirting more than 1 maybe 2 WR’s. Throw in the fact that none of the upperclassmen WR’s are elite level, I think the Frosh WR’s are going to play significant snaps

There's no way Restrepo doesn't see the field right away. Remember Travis Homer's freshman season? That's the impact I see Restrepo having on special teams. He may even our best option at PR.

Smith reminds me of Stacy Coley.

Worsham reminds me of Horace Copeland.

I think people just have an image of Restrepo in their head that can't let them believe he's as good as he actually is. If you look at his measurables, his tape, and the intangibles (all the things that matter), they would see that this kid can play immediately, either in the slot or returning punts/kicks
Do I have to say why?

Advertisement
Back