Michael Redding season expectations

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think he will.

How much exactly remains to be seen & depends on how much Lashlee/Likens likes to rotate his guys, but if given the opportunity I believe he can be a playmaker even as a rotational WR.

I see him as a backup off the bench behind Wiggins at the Z spot & I would love/hope we run some 4-wide sets with Pope, Wiggins, Harley & Redding, or a number of different WR groupings.

Payton & Redding are our two most physical WR's at least in terms of their build, Wiggins is legit 6'3 but he's still on the thinner side & more of a long speed stretch the field type. Redding has the great mix of power/physicality & speed.

My comp for Redding has been AJ Brown at Ole Miss, a strong good size with speed & hands, he got overshadowed by DK Metcalf but he was actually the more consistent WR between the two.

I'm also high on Keyshawn Smith, he's got very good speed & wiggle as well.

No I don't think the TF WR's are all gonna be All-Americans day 1, but I think if they're allowed to play they'll do their part & be serviceable when called upon.

Probably my favorite recruit we signed last cycle. Simply because we havent had a WR like him in quite some time. He is grown, he has length, he has legit 4.4 speed and he isnt 165 pounds. I love the AJ Brown comparison, LCE. Likens needs to do what he does and turn this kid into one of his future 1st rounders. We need more grown men like him on the outside who dont need to “fill into their frame”. They come into this ***** at 200+ and have seen a weight room before. I think he makes an impact before the end of the year. How big though? Not sure, he is still behind quite a few guys.

Advertisement
I think he will.

How much exactly remains to be seen & depends on how much Lashlee/Likens likes to rotate his guys, but if given the opportunity I believe he can be a playmaker even as a rotational WR.

I see him as a backup off the bench behind Wiggins at the Z spot & I would love/hope we run some 4-wide sets with Pope, Wiggins, Harley & Redding, or a number of different WR groupings.

Payton & Redding are our two most physical WR's at least in terms of their build, Wiggins is legit 6'3 but he's still on the thinner side & more of a long speed stretch the field type. Redding has the great mix of power/physicality & speed.

My comp for Redding has been AJ Brown at Ole Miss, a strong good size with speed & hands, he got overshadowed by DK Metcalf but he was actually the more consistent WR between the two.

I'm also high on Keyshawn Smith, he's got very good speed & wiggle as well.

No I don't think the TF WR's are all gonna be All-Americans day 1, but I think if they're allowed to play they'll do their part & be serviceable when called upon.
Personally I think 5 is a healthy rotation for receivers without disturbing the flow of the game.

Don't forget this offense will feature RB's (2-3)and TE's (2-3) catching passes at will.

From my video game coaching experience lol, I typically play 5 Wr's, 3 Rb's, and 3 TE's.

I normally have younger recivers and running backs returning kickoffs and punts

Last edited:
When’s the last time one of our freshmen skill position players flat out stole the starting job of an upperclassman? Seems like it’s been a long time.

I’ve been saying that I think King will wind up with less pass attempts than Buchele did last year, so less guys this yeah will have receptions. And SMU had 5 WRs last year with 25+ catches.

Barring injury, I think Jordan, Harley, Pope, Wiggins, and Payton will all have 25+ catches. If we have a 6th, it’ll most likely be Mallory. I just don’t know if there will be much left over for Redding. IMO he’ll play more snaps than Restrepo, Daz, and Smith, but he probably only catches 10-15 balls.

Advertisement
Redding is a grown man.
ACC6F724-DDB4-4FE5-842A-4305DE48436A.jpeg

Advertisement
He'll play this season, and he'll make plays. If Lashlee plays with the kind of tempo he played at SMU, i.e., 20 plays per quarter, we'll need a few of the youngsters to step up. We can't expect the upperclassmen (Pope, Harley, and Wiggins) to be good for 80 plays. So, I expect to see Payton, Restrepo, and Redding III getting significant minutes. Smith I think helps us in the return game to start. Don't know the status of Worsham, but if he's healthy he'll get some burn too.

Definitely my favorite WR in the last class. I'm a believer in Pope, Wiggins, and Payton, don't expect Redding to jump any of them on the depth chart. But I do think he's going to get more and more reps over the course of the season. He's too much of a weapon not to use. Will blow the top off the coverage and make everyone else's routes that much easier to run.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back