Miami out for Michael Johnson JR?

Avon Old Farms plays against St. Paul's, Exter, Deerfield, Andover, Hotchkiss, Lawrenceville, NMH, Cushing, etc... That is TERRIBLE competition. The athletes from those schools are the sons of New England's and NYC's richest citizens.

You cannot compare that league to Dade. Now if they ever played the publich high school of Bridgeport, CT or of New Haven...... That is something entirely different.

They weren’t comparing it to Dade. They told me it’s trash based on CT standards.

Advertisement
My question is what would it have cost UM to give Tai an offer???? Michael Johnson Jr not committing??? Okay and he hasn't committed now. If Tai performed poorly they could have always pulled the offer. Teams like UGA go ahead and get the offer out. Right or wrong who knows but they pull the trigger. All of these offers are conditional.

Good point about feeling like the QB coach might not believe in him. But there are a zillion examples of guys who weren't the first choice who went on to Hall of Fame level success. Tell him how Pete Carroll had to beg USC for an interview and how he was their 4th or 5th choice. Life isn't always smooth.

Great point. Correct me if I’m wrong but if an elite LB prospect doesn’t severely injure themselves, Ray Lewis doesn’t ever get a scholarship at Miami. These things happen.

They weren’t comparing it to Dade. They told me it’s trash based on CT standards.

Vis-a-vis other Connecticut schools, Avon plays in the state's weakest league. Bridgeport, New Haven and Hartford's public high schools boast decent athletes. Maybe even Staples in Westport....

A league composed of schools comprising 90% white, uber wealthy young men that spend their summers in Cape Cod and Southampton is NOT where UM should obtain their starting QB.

Exeter and Andover are arguably the most elite high schools in this country. Avon is a 3rd tier boarding school that provides diplomas for wealthy students that cannot gain acceptance at the 2nd tier (i.e. MiddleSex, Cheshire, Milton, Putney, Episcopal, Blair, Suffield, Loomis Cheffey, NMH, etc...)

Vis-a-vis other Connecticut schools, Avon plays in the state's weakest league. Bridgeport, New Haven and Hartford's public high schools boast decent athletes. Maybe even Staples in Westport....

A league composed of schools comprising 90% white, uber wealthy young men that spend their summers in Cape Cod and Southampton is NOT where UM should obtain their starting QB.

Exeter and Andover are arguably the most elite high schools in this country. Avon is a 3rd tier boarding school that provides diplomas for wealthy students that cannot gain acceptance at the 2nd tier (i.e. MiddleSex, Cheshire, Milton, Putney, Episcopal, Blair, Suffield, Loomis Cheffey, NMH, etc...)

So all kids who grow up, live or play in wealthy neighborhoods are void of any talent and can never be great college football players?

Advertisement
So all kids who grow up, live or play in wealthy neighborhoods are void of any talent and can never be great college football players?

Have you been to Choate, Exeter and/or Andover? Catch a game this fall and report back to us... If you are a gifted athlete, you do not go play football at a New England boarding school. That is akin to an elite, California tennis player deciding to reside in Amish country Pennsylvania during her high school years. Better yet, send an elite hockey player from Edmonton to Barbados in order to work on their stick skills.

These schools are above adequate for hockey and elite in regard to lacrosse...

You are spot on. I got buddies that played at UConn who also coach high school football up there & that kid while talented is playing against no one. His school/league don’t even advance to the playoffs.

& none of them had even heard of him until I mentioned him.

Dabo begs to differ and, to be honest, if the tape won't convince you then nothing will.

Dabo begs to differ and, to be honest, if the tape won't convince you then nothing will.

Tai is completing passes against Biff Cabot Lodge the VI from Greenwich, CT, while Biff's girlfriend Buffy cheers from the stands. Avon's running back is Robert Chase Coleman the V, and his girlfriend is Pinky Polk.... He better look GREAT on video......

Even if you aren’t completely sold on Tai u think the better alternative is to punt on taking a Qb this year??? You can debate competition, mechanics, dual threat ability. You can’t debate not taking a QB. Tai obviously has talent look at the teams that are recruiting him. You can’t be so much of a fan that it blinds you. The same people saying how long it will take him to see the field behind Trevor Lawrence want MJJ to commit and not worry about Jarren Williams. Things happen and not everyone pans out. It is why you take a QB every year!

Advertisement
Have you been to Choate, Exeter and/or Andover? Catch a game this fall and report back to us... If you are a gifted athlete, you do not go play football at a New England boarding school. That is akin to an elite, California tennis player deciding to reside in Amish country Pennsylvania during her high school years. Better yet, send an elite hockey player from Edmonton to Barbados in order to work on their stick skills.

I'm just asking the question. All you said "A league composed of schools comprising 90% white, uber wealthy young men that spend their summers in Cape Cod and Southampton is NOT where UM should obtain their starting QB."

If Josh Rosen lived up there, he would be talented enough. He's white and rich. All i'm saying is blanket statements like that are absurd. Many times it may be the case that kids in those schools are not good enough, but to immediately discount a kid bc of where he lives or goes to school is being shortsighted. It's no different than saying a kid can't be a QB because he's black or a kid can't be a RB because he's white.

The hockey analogy doesn't work - they don't play hockey in Barbados. They do play football in Connecticut.

Many kids play for bad high school teams or in bad leagues and go unnoticed.

Competition is weak there. We get that.

Tai is completing passes against Biff Cabot Lodge the VI from Greenwich, CT, while Biff's girlfriend Buffy cheers from the stands. Avon's running back is Robert Chase Coleman the V, and his girlfriend is Pinky Polk.... He better look GREAT on video......

okay, but that belies HIS obvious talent and ability to play the QB position.

I'm just asking the question. All you said "A league composed of schools comprising 90% white, uber wealthy young men that spend their summers in Cape Cod and Southampton is NOT where UM should obtain their starting QB."

If Josh Rosen lived up there, he would be talented enough. He's white and rich. All i'm saying is blanket statements like that are absurd. Many times it may be the case that kids in those schools are not good enough, but to immediately discount a kid bc of where he lives or goes to school is being shortsighted. It's no different than saying a kid can't be a QB because he's black or a kid can't be a RB because he's white.

The hockey analogy doesn't work - they don't play hockey in Barbados. They do play football in Connecticut.

Many kids play for bad high school teams or in bad leagues and go unnoticed.

Competition is weak there. We get that.

An elite athlete requires elite competition in order to improve. Yes, some are able to succeed without such competition (i.e. Favre), but normally you want to compete against the best in order to reach one's peak.

Canesderrrrponent strikes again. Someone call Dwight Freeney and Jordan Reed to let them know they have no talent because they’re from Connecticut.

Advertisement

I heard somewhere that they are also elite in Squash.

Canesderrrrponent strikes again. Someone call Dwight Freeney and Jordan Reed to let them know they have no talent because they’re from Connecticut.

You need to learn to read.......... Dwight Freeney attended Bloomfield High in Hartford. I stated that Hartford, Bridgeport and New Haven produced great athletes. Reading comprehension is a requisite in the modern economy. Jordan Reed attended New London Public high school.

Have you even heard of Exeter, Avon, Choate or Andover.......

How can any semi-literate person compare Bloomfield High and New London to Avon? You should educate yourself..........

Advertisement
LMFAO. Wick? This team? Grats on toasting a bunch of wonderbread kids.

The ENTIRE LEAGUE is much whiter than Wonderbread. There is nothing paler on this planet than a New England, boarding school athlete. Not even Photoshop can produce something so white.

You need to learn to read.......... Dwight Freeney attended Bloomfield High in Hartford. I stated that Hartford, Bridgeport and New Haven produced great athletes. Reading comprehension is a requisite in the modern economy. Jordan Reed attended New London Public high school.

Have you even heard of Exeter, Avon, Choate or Andover.......

How can any semi-literate person compare Bloomfield High and New London to Avon? You should educate yourself..........
Im familiar with the whole New England prep school thing as well. You do make good points but alot of kids in the NE area are going prep for football. Most of these public schools in MA, RI, and CT are losing their players to prep schools. Prep basketball has always been takign talent with Brewster, Notre Dame, Cushing, St Andrews, Tilton etc.. being elite.

But football has made waves, for example Cheshire in the past 3 years have sent kids to Michigan, Notre Dame, Rutgers, BC, Bama (count it or not with Jobe), Wake Forrest, Temple, and a whole lot of FCS kids. Obviously it is not Dade, because nothing is Dade. But they do produce up there.

Advertisement
Back