Miami opens as 3.5 point favorite vs. App. St

LOL @ "National Championship Years". As if a D2 championship really means anything.

I guess beating the #5 team in the country and dominating Joe Flacco mean nothing. Regardless, I wasn't trying to pump up the 3 consecutive Division 1-AA National Championships, only was using that to give context to why crowd involvement would be more intense during that time period.

Not really. Beating Delaware isn't something to really be crowing about. It'd be like Montana crowing about beating Montana State for the 1000th time in a row. It's a subpar league with subpar competition.

Not crowing about anything but being at the top of your division, which is the group you have similar budgets, pool of recruits, and other factors in, for three consecutive years isn't done that often. App's success at that level obviously laid a foundation that has allowed for success in FBS, and two years removed from moving divisions, a name brand school is coming to Boone. All signs are pointing up for App, not the other way around. Those years have been left behind by many, including myself and most people are just excited about what the future holds for the program.

With Wake Forest coming to Boone (not a huge deal but Wake does have an improved defense it seems) next year, and old rivalries being rekindled, along with the relative success in a short amount of time, you'd be wrong to think that App fan's wouldn't be excited. Winning foundations help teams rebound and move forward more quickly than schools with no tradition. Miami fan's should know this.

That said, you are still a year off from being mentioned as a possible CFB Playoff contender and need some real focus on getting a quality QB (ala Florida State) and beefing up the trenches.

What's successful about beating Idaho at the vaunted Kibbie Dome and beating Ohio in a bowel game?

Up voted for calling it a "bowel game". Nice.

Advertisement
I said it would likely be louder than everywhere you play this season, other than Blacksburg and Chapel **** Hole.

Except you didn't this "this season." If I said Miami will be the toughest opponent to visit Boone, that phrase does contain the limiting qualifier "this season." I'm speaking in the general sense. You've never played a tougher opponent in Boone. Ever.
And the fact that you are saying "this season" makes it even funnier. You aren't even pretending like your stadium is loud. It's like saying you are the toughest opponent we have played in the first three weeks. Is that true? Yes. Does that mean you are inherently tough? No. Your toughness would have to exist independent of the first two opponents, because they aren't tough.
If you want to say you are the third loudest stadium we will play in, fine. I'll buy that for stake of argument. Although i still laugh at your stadium being louder than ND and some of these others. But even buying that argument, that doesn't mean the stadium will be loud. It just means, as you said, we have a favorable home schedule.

App has played a tougher schedule thus far than Miami has. Your freshman linebackers have been tested by two very basic offenses that is extremely similar to what they saw in high school. This week will be much different as the coverage they must play will be far more cerebral and if they aren't prepared, they will get beat. If you allow the offensive line to get to the second level, Cox will find the hole and rip off a 40 yard run seemingly out of no where. It happened against Clemson, it happened against Tennessee, and for the most part it wasn't limited to running towards one side of the play or the other.

App isn't going to be louder than ND, Chapel Hill, Clemson, Virginia Tech or State. However you only play at two of those placed this season. Thus, in the context of this season with these players, this will be one of the more vocal crowds you'll have to play. 38,000 people may not sound like a lot but with capacity at only 24,000, these sounds are far more condensed than if you have 35,000 in a 50,000 seat stadium. The nature of sound dictates that it will be amplified, rather than diminishing into empty space around the stadium.

For the record: I expect Miami to win this game. I expect App to be far more competitive than what I am reading that Miami fan's think. You'll learn more from this than the last two games combined and should have a decent barometer of where your freshman linebackers stand in regards to playing option football prior to traveling to Atlanta. Regardless of the outcome in Boone, it is better to get a spread option, while different than GT's, prior to playing the Yellow Jackets due to the youth you guys have playing.

It happen against Clemson when you were down 31-0. Tbh,I don't know If this game is a good matchup for you guys. Seems like your offense is based on a lot of zone blocking principals. Clemson destroyed your run game with penetration & blitzes from their linebackers.When you had to pass it got ugly with all the interception.

Advertisement
I think App St is a mighty fine program. They are like the Gonzaga of CFB; with that being said, we need to hang 50 on them!

However, I just checked the spread.com and the spread there opened at 4 1/2 and 80% of the public is betting miami and Vegas has lowered the spread to 3 1/2.

Maybe people are betting on the ML. Maybe 80% of the bets are one way but that isn't the same as 80% of the money. I don't know.

%'s mean nothing. Money wagered is whats important. Information we can't get our hands on. Lets say the reverse line movement is true based on the %'s though. It does not bode well for us. Then again APP St. has all the public perception of being a giant killer. Tough game to handicap betting wise. I won't have any money on it myself. Being a fan is enough vested interest for me.

Explain this logic to me. If Miami is favored and money is coming in on us at -3.5, then they have to raise the spread in order to get it closer to 50/50. What am I missing?

Advertisement
However, I just checked the spread.com and the spread there opened at 4 1/2 and 80% of the public is betting miami and Vegas has lowered the spread to 3 1/2.

Maybe people are betting on the ML. Maybe 80% of the bets are one way but that isn't the same as 80% of the money. I don't know.

%'s mean nothing. Money wagered is whats important. Information we can't get our hands on. Lets say the reverse line movement is true based on the %'s though. It does not bode well for us. Then again APP St. has all the public perception of being a giant killer. Tough game to handicap betting wise. I won't have any money on it myself. Being a fan is enough vested interest for me.

Explain this logic to me. If Miami is favored and money is coming in on us at -3.5, then they have to raise the spread in order to get it closer to 50/50. What am I missing?

It went from 4.5 to 3.5 with money coming in on Miami. Basically saying were not scared of Miami action & a matter a fact will make it even juicer for you.

Minus 4 is a gift horse. App Store caught TN unawares and their kicker cost them the game. He hasn't recovered. We will be ready. They are a running team. We have run defence. Plus App Store is a trendy pick as many noted and we have sucked for too long so we get no respect.

I've bet big. Canes win 16-9. Covers the spread. Kicker misses another extra point. Easy money. Canes by 17+.

Last edited:
Minus 4 is a gift horse. App Store caught TN unawares and their kicker cost them the game. He hasn't recovered. We will be ready. They are a running team. We have run defence. Plus App Store is a trendy pick as many noted and we have sucked for too long so we get no respect.

I've bet big. Canes win 57-9Covers the spread. Kicker misses another extra point. Easy money. Canes by 17+.

Fixed

A quality QB? LMAO. NFL scouts projecting Kaaya going very high in draft (if he leaves). Only reason UM won't be playoff contender this year is depth issues from Golden hangover.

Depends on the game honestly. Crowds as of late haven't been as excitable due to having new opponents with little to no history coming to Boone. During the National Championship years, it didn't matter who App was playing as evidenced by the crowd record being set against Elon University. Big XII officials were at the 2007 Semifinal game against Richmond and said that game was as loud as any that they had officiated that year with only 24,000 in attendance. Was probably so raucous due to Armanti Edwards scoring 7 TD's with 313 yards rushing and 14 of 16 passing.

Regardless, I will remove my opinion of App being loud. It will be the most quiet stadium you've ever seen because Miami will be winning 56-0 at the end of the first quarter.

LOL @ "National Championship Years". As if a D2 championship really means anything.

I guess beating the #5 team in the country and dominating Joe Flacco mean nothing. Regardless, I wasn't trying to pump up the 3 consecutive Division 1-AA National Championships, only was using that to give context to why crowd involvement would be more intense during that time period.

Not really. Beating Delaware isn't something to really be crowing about. It'd be like Montana crowing about beating Montana State for the 1000th time in a row. It's a subpar league with subpar competition.

Not crowing about anything but being at the top of your division, which is the group you have similar budgets, pool of recruits, and other factors in, for three consecutive years isn't done that often. App's success at that level obviously laid a foundation that has allowed for success in FBS, and two years removed from moving divisions, a name brand school is coming to Boone. All signs are pointing up for App, not the other way around. Those years have been left behind by many, including myself and most people are just excited about what the future holds for the program.

With Wake Forest coming to Boone (not a huge deal but Wake does have an improved defense it seems) next year, and old rivalries being rekindled, along with the relative success in a short amount of time, you'd be wrong to think that App fan's wouldn't be excited. Winning foundations help teams rebound and move forward more quickly than schools with no tradition. Miami fan's should know this.

That said, you are still a year off from being mentioned as a possible CFB Playoff contender and need some real focus on getting a quality QB (ala Florida State) and beefing up the trenches.

Advertisement
I think App St is a mighty fine program. They are like the Gonzaga of CFB; with that being said, we need to hang 50 on them!

Thats the worst comparison I have ever heard.

Actually it's a perfect comparison.

Actually it isn't. Gonzaga has had multiple first round draft picks. They have also beaten teams from the Power 5 conference regularly since becoming a power. Gonzaga also doesn't lack for size to compete with the Duke's and UNC's of the world. Actually in their Elite 8 game against Duke, Gonzaga was actually the bigger team.

App State is more like George Mason. They had one great run, and now people think they are a giant killer. They routinely win their conference or division, but struggle to be compete with the big boys.

^^^ Agree. Gonzaga is routinely ranked , has gone to 2 Elite 8's and 7 Sweet 16's and have been ranked as high as #1 in the polls.

Last edited:
NAh. Applantation State is NOTHING like the Zags. Hope we beat them to the point it sets their progrum back 10 years.

Advertisement

Read what JgDaCane wrote--the spread does move in order to get the total action closer to 50/50. But the 80% number being reported is the percentage of individual bettors, not of total action. What it likely means is that you have some big individual wagers coming in on App St.

Miami fans have been psychologically and emotionally skull****ed for 10 years.

No excuses not to win.

We get what you're saying, it's going to be loud for 30,000 fans, but, most people aren't impressed when this team played in front of 82,000 at FSU last year, 61,000 at UNC last year (which really wasn't that loud, because UNC fans suck), 55,000 at Louisville in 2014, 91,000 at Nebraska in 2014, 64,000 at VT in 2014, etc, etc. And, it's not going to be all App State fans. Miami got 2,500 tickets and sold them all, and most Miami fans I know (and a lot on here and other sites) didn't get them from the school. There are going to be a lot of Miami fans in Boone too. People don't realize this because our home attendance isn't great, but because of our national fan base and national alumni base, we travel really well.

/thread.

Advertisement
Back