Miami offers Cronkite

The reclassifying thing is mainly a basketball thing. Kids who transfer to prep schools like Nerlens Noel enroll a class behind. When he reclassified he went back to his public hs to graduate in his original class. So they don't really reclassify they are just graduating when they were originally supposed to. It's weird but a lot of blue chip players do it for NBA draft reasons.

Advertisement

And I guess for some porsters that's considered on time.

Let's just suppose I agree with you and the offer is "late"

What results from this "late" offer?

It just starts the kid's recruitment off with a bad taste. Maybe he questions how bad we want him since we offered however long after other schools. Now we're a little behind the 8 ball with him to start.

Honestly, in the long haul, this isn't as big a deal as I like to make it, but the staff is causing themselves unnecessary problems by offering local kids later than others like this.

That's a fair point, but again, being the "local" school, UM has to tread more carefully than other programs. OOS schools **** off a local kid, drop him, etc, and whatever. UM does it, and its a twitter hate fest, coaches on the local radio, kids from other schools chiming in, and its turns into a clusterf*ck.

Funny, didn't happen when we "dropped" Bethel.

Advertisement
Guess we need to offer all 8th graders. Some of y'all make me sick.

We were on Sony early as shut and it didn't help.

We weren't late, just after Alabama, Tennessee, Florida State, Clemson, Arkansas, etc, etc, etc

And?

And I guess for some porsters that's considered on time.

Let's just suppose I agree with you and the offer is "late"

What results from this "late" offer?

It just starts the kid's recruitment off with a bad taste. Maybe he questions how bad we want him since we offered however long after other schools. Now we're a little behind the 8 ball with him to start.

Honestly, in the long haul, this isn't as big a deal as I like to make it, but the staff is causing themselves unnecessary problems by offering local kids later than others like this.

When has offering "early" or "the 1st' on a local kid actually turned out helping us? Talking about offering "late" when he is a 2015 kid is stupid. We've been on kids for years ahead of other teams and still get beat for them. A year to recruit a kid is plenty early.

Advertisement
OK, there are examples of us offering early and us still losing kids. But how can us offering late be anything but negative when recruits are openly upset about not yet receiving offers? Just because offering early hasn't always worked for us in the past doesn't make it a bad practice.

OK, there are examples of us offering early and us still losing kids. But how can us offering late be anything but negative when recruits are openly upset about not yet receiving offers? Just because offering early hasn't always worked for us in the past doesn't make it a bad practice.

It isn't a bad thing to do but **** who do you offer early? If you offer one guy the next guy is going to be ****ed he wasn't offered.

crossover22[]_[];1798566 said:
Guess we need to offer all 8th graders. Some of y'all make me sick.

We were on Sony early as shut and it didn't help.

We need to start posting class pictures of all middle schools and 6th grade classes in the recruiting section. Cross off the pictures of all the girls. Start following the boys and writing up evalutions. Wait for Child Protective Services and FBI unit handling child exploitation to take fake screen names but never post.

Maybe the future of college football at this rate.

Advertisement
Cronkrite got his Miami offer?

30.gif

C4L has been harping on this a ton already but IMO we are at an inherent disadvantage in some cases. Out of area schools can be free willy nilly with their offers down here. We have to be more careful. We have been getting hammered from every angle down here the last 3-4 months. Some of it is justified but most is just pack/herd mentality from the inbred SFL coaching/handler community.

Someone pointed out that the SFL community has hated every UM coach since the Erickson era and I believe it. They hated Butch until we were dominating. Golden needs to be good on his evaluations and WIN big or he's in trouble.

I'm not big on offering kids just to offer, especially local kids. If local kids are offered, we should go after them hard. You're playing with fire if you're just throwing out offers for the sake of momentum or snagging another kid. It will end up blowing up in our faces.

Advertisement
crossover22[]_[];1798583 said:

It isn't a bad thing to do but **** who do you offer early? If you offer one guy the next guy is going to be ****ed he wasn't offered.

Holy **** that's a terrible argument.

As far as this kid is concerned it wasn't about offering early but about offering period. He has been in contact with this staff over the last 2 years and while receiving offers from a number of other schools UM still wasn't. So today rolls around and the staff not only offers but also explained to Jordan and his father what they see in him as well as why they never offered before. The reason they didn't offer earlier was due to they were unsure of his position but now have a position solidified. So now it's time to let the recruiting process do it's thing and see if UM is the school for this kid

Staff gets bashed for being selective when handing out early offers..

Staff gets bashed for giving out too many scholarships early...

Your damned if you do.. damned if you don't...

Cane internet message board fans at their best

Lets be fair though. This isnt about offering "late", the kid is a Junior in HS. It may be later than other programs, but its not like a Skai Moore type situation where we arent offering the kid until signing day. That's a "late" offer. And as I mentioned earlier, there can be negatives to offering too many kids too early. You could end up in a situation like Texas, which spent years locking up classes WAY too early, and got many kids who were maxed out at the HS and plateued, or didnt have room for kids who were blowing up late. You also run the risk of offering a kid who develops earlier than other kids, and dominates for a while in HS, but as other kids get bigger he stops growing and just becomes a JAG. Then you are stuck trying to nudge the kid elsewhere, or having to eat a scholie on a kid you may no longer want. YOu can get away with that occasionally but its not something you want to be doing too often, ESPECIALLY with local kids.

Its a balance.

Advertisement
Back