Miami Offense Ahead of Expectations

Y'all gotta stop this stuff. The defense will be good. Will it be exactly as good? A little better? A little worse? Nobody can be sure. But we have 4 years of data now that all points to Manny Diaz putting together, at worst, a good defensive football team regardless of personnel.

2016 -- 14th in defensive YPP
2017 -- 8th in defensive YPP
2018 -- 3rd in defensive YPP
2019 -- 14th in defensive YPP

4 totally different teams. Interacting with 4 different offenses. Three true freshmen LBs in 2016. Seniors in 2019. It doesn't matter. Manny Diaz with Miami athletes is going to put up a pretty good, and at times great defense. Are people really trying to argue the talent on the 2020 team isn't as good as any of the previous 4 years? That would be insane. And frankly, wrong. There's a TON of talent on this defense. And when you pair it with what many of us believe is the best offense we've had in a long time, one that can maybe go out and put up points in a hurry and put pressure on opposing offenses to change how they play, the defense should thrive even more.

We have an above average punter. We have an above average kicker. We will have an above average defense. What happens when King and Lashlee gives us an above average offense?
Manny Diaz is not our defensive coordinator.

Advertisement
Y'all gotta stop this stuff. The defense will be good. Will it be exactly as good? A little better? A little worse? Nobody can be sure. But we have 4 years of data now that all points to Manny Diaz putting together, at worst, a good defensive football team regardless of personnel.

2016 -- 14th in defensive YPP
2017 -- 8th in defensive YPP
2018 -- 3rd in defensive YPP
2019 -- 14th in defensive YPP

4 totally different teams. Interacting with 4 different offenses. Three true freshmen LBs in 2016. Seniors in 2019. It doesn't matter. Manny Diaz with Miami athletes is going to put up a pretty good, and at times great defense. Are people really trying to argue the talent on the 2020 team isn't as good as any of the previous 4 years? That would be insane. And frankly, wrong. There's a TON of talent on this defense. And when you pair it with what many of us believe is the best offense we've had in a long time, one that can maybe go out and put up points in a hurry and put pressure on opposing offenses to change how they play, the defense should thrive even more.

We have an above average punter. We have an above average kicker. We will have an above average defense. What happens when King and Lashlee gives us an above average offense?
Will be good to see Manny have all his own players to execute his scheme.. They should be better than what he had, atleast in theory.. hmm

Let's wait and see what the word is after tomorrow. Hopefully all the DL guys will be back. They've seen Lashlee's offense once in scrimmage/situational form. I think we'll have a better read on the defense after the second scrimmage.

Advertisement
We lost our top 4 DE, sheesh..
Yea but 3 of them played like bums if you want to get down to the brass tax. Garvin played like he was scared all year long. He should have been way more dominant. Patchan was just Ok. WTF happened to hill. did he leave his mojo up at tech.

You could say the same about almost every player on ROK list.

Only persons I think we've lost that brought real value were Rousseau, Bandy, Finley, Shaq and Pinckey. Out of the 5 Rousseau is probably the only one that cant be replaced ed with a player of higher quality. JMO of course.

The wild card is going to be Baker. I keep remembering the Lance's "Money Downs" thread. It articulated what I was felt viscerally about this defense. We may be trending in the right direction athletically but schematically … we still need to see it.
Much like an older player with more experience shouldn't Baker also improve because hes got a year under his belt and he too should feel more comfortable and confident.

Feels good to have the offense ahead of the defense for a change.

DL is an issue with eight first or second year players out of thirteen defensive linemen.
LB is an issue with new starters and overall lack of experience.
DB is an issue with new starters at CB, striker, safety.

10 of the top 15 leaders in tackles are no longer here.

Many of these guys weren't super athletic but from an experience standpoint we lost a lot of good men out there:
Here are the guys who will replace them or get more playing time now:
Bethel - DT1 -> Ford/Silvera ⬆ - both should be taking a step up this year as upperclassmen
Nnoruka - DT4 -> Miller ⬆⬆ - in system longer and ready to step up
Rousseau - DE1 -> Roche ⬇ - can't replace 15.5 sacks but 13 is not bad
Garvin - DE2 -> Harvey ⇄ - Harvey is a younger and hungrier Garvin but not experienced
Patchan - DE3 -> Phillips ⬆ - Both injury ridden but one has way more upside
Hill - DE4 -> Chantz/Cameron ⬆ - the Williams are ready to go
Quarterman - LB1 -> Jennings/Steed ⬇⬇⬇ - no way to replace the heart of the defense
Pinckney - LB2 -> McCloud/Brooks/Huff ⇄ - McCloud will be solid and Brooks and Huff will add speed
Finley - ST1 -> Frierson/Smith ⇄ - less experience but more upside
Bandy - CB1 -> Couch/Christian ⬇ - hard to replace Bandy but these guys have potential
Knowles - FS1 -> Bolden ⬆⬆⬆ - not a fair comparison

I get the concern with experience but let's not forget Rousseau had no experience until he played last year. We have some young talent that is unproven but will be exciting to see how they step up to the challenge.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Defense will be better talent wise than last year, though statistically that may not be reflected because of the impact our offense will have.
I don't think the time of possession will be that big of a difference this year. We had too many 3 and outs last year. Hopefully the offense scoring will motivate the D to play more inspired.

72Miami (FL)29:47
87S Methodist28:52

I can see the defense start out behind last season, then by the end really start to hum.

Yeah we lost Pink, Rousseau and Shaq.

Only thing is we replaced Shaq and Pinkney with some athletic linebackers that can actually run. People are forgetting what a Miami defense looks like with elite sideline to sideline speed. I hate to say it but those two lumbered laterally.

Our safeties are no longer green in a system which asks lot of them. (May be the most important factor)

Our corners are more experienced and deeper with viable options assuming Williams and Couch are ready to take that next step.

Ya we lose 15, but there's a chance that Phillips+Roche could be just as good if not better than Garvin+15.

We lose Ford, but have Miller/Nesta in their third year, where you see d lineman start to flourish.

Once the linebackers start to figure things out mentally, this defense could be the best we've had with Manny. I believe that.

Much like an older player with more experience shouldn't Baker also improve because hes got a year under his belt and he too should feel more comfortable and confident.
The difference between a coach and a player (of that age), a player can get better as he physically matures without doing anything different. A coach on the other hand has to mature mentally. They have to do things differently. Too often, egos get in the way.

It's not a given, we shall see which way he goes.

Man we don't have to worry about NOTHING. So what were young, So what we got new players and new bodies. The older bodies didn't get it done. OLD staff didn't get it done. So I'm ready for a new yr, new faces, new plays and if I see one more play action/qb sack I'm going to lose my Sh..t

Advertisement
I can see the defense start out behind last season, then by the end really start to hum.

Yeah we lost Pink, Rousseau and Shaq.

Only thing is we replaced Shaq and Pinkney with some athletic linebackers that can actually run. People are forgetting what a Miami defense looks like with elite sideline to sideline speed. I hate to say it but those two lumbered laterally.

Our safeties are no longer green in a system which asks lot of them. (May be the most important factor)

Our corners are more experienced and deeper with viable options assuming Williams and Couch are ready to take that next step.

Ya we lose 15, but there's a chance that Phillips+Roche could be just as good if not better than Garvin+15.

We lose Ford, but have Miller/Nesta in their third year, where you see d lineman start to flourish.

Once the linebackers start to figure things out mentally, this defense could be the best we've had with Manny. I believe that.
We didn't lose ford. He will be entering his senior season.

Advertisement
Rhet talking to the O before practice/scrimmages:

1598043305678.png

Baker and the D: yep 🤔😒.. we never seen that **** before....

The only thing that will matter for the Defense is CB play...

If the CB's step up & Ivey is better than he was last year then our weaknesses will be sured up.

You're only as strong as your weakest link & until we have 2 lockdown Corners that will always be the hindrance.

Al Jr will be good & handle his side, is Ivey gonna hold down the Boundary, because if he's not OC's/QB's will attack his side of the field all game which will force us to roll coverage over to his side with more help over top & will alter Defensive play calling in the long run.

The old adage is a great pass rush can mask a weak secondary, which is true to an extent, but what teams figured out about us is, if they just cut us up in the intermediate routes it will slow down the pass rush & then when Baker sends those unnecessary 30 yard Safety Blitzes that start all the way on the opposite side of the hashes they'll just attack us with the Deep ball.

Everything we do is predicated on causing pressure on 1st & 2nd downs trying to get TFL's so as to have 3rd & longs, the problem is on those 3rd longs is where we get exposed (see Lance Roffers 3rd down thread). I believe we need to put more emphasis on being more technically sound & savvy in coverage on the backend to increase the potency of our pass rush on the front end.

The reason why we've had a good Defense, but not an elite Defense over these years is because we sacrifice certain aspects of Defensive football overall in order to achieve a very specifi goal, we wanna have high sack & TFL numbers & force turnovers, we don't really focus on being excellent in coverage.

As soon as we get lockdown corners on the outside, you'll see us play like upper echelon P3 teams, our DL play, LB play & Safety play fluctuate but stay pretty consistent over time & has been good enough to keep us in the top 10-15, what we've lacked is Elite CB play to push us over the edge into the top 5 annually.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back