Miami Offense Ahead of Expectations

We have a RSenior QB, who scored 50 TDs in 10 games, leading a fast paced offense with an OC who has been apart of torching several respected defenses, facing off against 4th-down-Baker, and you guys are concerned?

We better not face a better offense all season other than Clemson. We have a QB, gents.

Our defense should be on its heels.

Side note: Willis Mac ran all over Ed Reed and the 2001 defense if I recall correctly.
Maybe on a specific play. I mostly remember how people were railing on how much the defense dominated the offense.

Advertisement
Maybe on a specific play. I mostly remember how people were railing on how much the defense dominated the offense.

No - I remember Larry and Dorsey talking about it. Larry said “it’s against our first team defense, so he’s running on somebody..”

The year we won the coastal it was pretty darn good. The O had a low average and we still won 10 games purely from defense.
Man you are right, that team now looking back at it.. probably was as talented as we ever had at the U

Advertisement
More often than not, the Defense is usually ahead of the Off at this point to begin with (especially at UM the last umpteen yrs)...What a breath of fresh air that the Offense is more than holding its own...if not being ahead for once. That doesn't necessarily mean the Defense isn't good...Its more of an indication of much better Off coaching...I can't see how anybody would complain after 16+ yrs of the opposite..

Well of course. That’s a mature and knowledgeable take.

But why not act like a ***** instead and wring your hands about the defense, like an old woman. You know, CIS porster **** style

Defense will be better talent wise than last year, though statistically that may not be reflected because of the impact our offense will have.

Lets compare 2019 to 2020:

DL: 3/4 2020 players better

Garvin v. Roche: Advantage Roche, as Garvin had no dog to him and was vastly overrated.
Ford v Ford: Advantage older Ford...because he's older.
Bethel v. Silvera: Advantage Silvera as his upside is massively higher, though Bethel was a solid piece.
Rosseou v. Phillips: Advantage Rosseou because 15.5 sacks mot likely wont be replicated, but by all accounts Phillips should break out.

LB: 1/3 2020 players better

Pinckney v. McCloud: Advantage Pinckey. Pinckney was more instinctual and could create more havoc than McCloud. McCloud is bigger and should have a bigger impact vs the run game though
Shaq v Jennings: Advantage ole reliable Shaq, just because we dont know what to expect from Jennings.
Finley v. Frierson: Advantage Frierson. This one may be controversial, but Frierson will be an upgrade athletically and in coverage. You'll just have to trust me on this one.

Secondary: 3/4 2020 players better

Blades v. Blades: Advantage older Blades.
Hall v. Hall: Advantage older Hall.
Amari v. Bolden: Advantage Bolden. Bolden is by far a better safety than Amari who played the majority of the season.
Bandy v. Ivey: Advantage Bandy. Ivey is a weak spot imo, but its possible Couch or Williams takes over.

So 7 out of 11 players should be better from the get go. And that's not accounting for jumps in progress out of players like Phillips, Jordan Miller and Brooks.

Last edited:
Advertisement
247 sports is saying they are hearing from people at the first scrimmage that coaches and everyone at the scrimmage was shocked by how good the offense is already. And that they expect a huge improvement in that area.

Miami talk starts at the 3 min mark and goes till the 6 min mark

Big fan of Josh Pate and his analysis. He's been doing a solid job for a while now. Seemed destined for a bigger gig sooner than later.

Defense will be better talent wise than last year, though statistically that may not be reflected because of the impact our offense will have.

Lets compare 2019 to 2020:

DL: 3/4 2020 players better

Garvin v. Roche: Advantage Roche, as Garvin had no dog to him and was vastly overrated.
Ford v Ford: Advantage older Ford...because he's older.
Bethel v. Silvera: Advantage Silvera as his upside is massively higher, though Bethel was a solid piece.
Rosseou v. Phillips: Advantage Rosseou because 15.5 sacks mot likely wont be replicated, but by all accounts Phillips should break out.

LB: 1/3 2020 players better

Pinckney v. McCloud: Advantage Pinckey. Pinckney was more instinctual and could create more havoc than McCloud. McCloud is bigger and should have a bigger impact vs the run game though
Shaq v Jennings: Advantage ole reliable Shaq, just because we dont know what to expect from Jennings.
Finley v. Frierson: Advantage Frierson. This one may be controversial, but Frierson will be an upgrade athletically and in coverage. You'll just have to trust me on this one.

Secondary: 3/4 2020 players better

Blades v. Blades: Advantage older Blades.
Hall v. Hall: Same.
Amari v. Bolden: Advantage Bolden. Bolden is by far a better safety than Amari who played the majority of the season.
Bandy v. Ivey: Advantage Bandy. Ivey is a weak spot imo, but its possible Couch or Williams takes over.

So 7 out of 11 players should be better from the get go. And that's not accounting for jumps in progress out of players like Phillips, Jordan Miller and Brooks.
The wild card is going to be Baker. I keep remembering the Lance's "Money Downs" thread. It articulated what I was felt viscerally about this defense. We may be trending in the right direction athletically but schematically … we still need to see it.

Advertisement
Well of course. That’s a mature and knowledgeable take.

But why not act like a ***** instead and wring your hands about the defense, like an old woman. You know, CIS porster **** style
It's a simple zero sum equation. We have to suck so the mopes have their way, so if something gets better, that means something else had to get worse. It's simple math.

I agree with this take I think Phillips and Roche show out Ford an Nesta are a year older. and the 3 Soph/rs freshman should be ready to contribute. Just my opinion I'd put Sam Brooks at Middle backer and Huff as the other backer and let them grow athletically they are fast an I think Brooks is gonna be a tackling machine. Our Secondary again a year older with a healthy Bolden who showed he's a baller. Hall is definitely a baller only question in the secondary is I've gonna get it together or get his spot takin. Our new O is made for South Florida talent our D is gonna be better no disrespect to Shaq or Pink they both played there heart out but Brooks and Huff's upside is night and day. Finely was solid but Frieson and Keontras upside is night and day. Another point is I don't think this offence is gonna be putting them in such messed up situations like the past couple of years which will help a lot.
Agreed. 2ndary play will improve, lb will regress. The real question is how do Phillips and Roche look? If we maintain high level DE play we may be better than last year

Advertisement
Y'all gotta stop this stuff. The defense will be good. Will it be exactly as good? A little better? A little worse? Nobody can be sure. But we have 4 years of data now that all points to Manny Diaz putting together, at worst, a good defensive football team regardless of personnel.

2016 -- 14th in defensive YPP
2017 -- 8th in defensive YPP
2018 -- 3rd in defensive YPP
2019 -- 14th in defensive YPP

4 totally different teams. Interacting with 4 different offenses. Three true freshmen LBs in 2016. Seniors in 2019. It doesn't matter. Manny Diaz with Miami athletes is going to put up a pretty good, and at times great defense. Are people really trying to argue the talent on the 2020 team isn't as good as any of the previous 4 years? That would be insane. And frankly, wrong. There's a TON of talent on this defense. And when you pair it with what many of us believe is the best offense we've had in a long time, one that can maybe go out and put up points in a hurry and put pressure on opposing offenses to change how they play, the defense should thrive even more.

We have an above average punter. We have an above average kicker. We will have an above average defense. What happens when King and Lashlee gives us an above average offense?

247 sports is saying they are hearing from people at the first scrimmage that coaches and everyone at the scrimmage was shocked by how good the offense is already. And that they expect a huge improvement in that area.

Miami talk starts at the 3 min mark and goes till the 6 min mark

This has been said before. Just as Charlie Brown barrels towards a kick with Lucy...

Put many more marks in the W column--only way to provide proof.

Say what you want about Manny’s stubbornness and ability to get too cute, but his scheme has a high floor overall.

Rousseau is obviously a loss but I’m still not worried about DE, there’s just too many athletes.

The only areas to worry about are defensive tackle penetration and linebacker play.

If those are up to par, this is an elite defense. If they’re pedestrian, this is a solid but unspectacular defense.
You are correct, Manny's defenses do have a high floor. The problem is, Manny isn't calling the plays, Baker is. That's why you get 4th and 17 safety blitzes from 20 yards away.

Advertisement
Back