Miami Offense Ahead of Expectations

Just ******* around but it would not shock me if the defense gets worked this year.

The defense has been good for a minute, but it’s only a matter of time before they finally give out. Not to mention we are lacking big time in the coaching department Defensively.

If the offense can do it’s thing and specials keep trending up. We’ll be ok. Praying the defense doesn’t break.

Advertisement
Defense will be better prepared by challenge of practice against this O. Doesn’t matter if opponents run this exact scheme ; just the challenge of tempo , mobile QB and more diversity will make the D less shell shocked by diverse O schemes out the gate in games.
More practice reps, too. The faster your offense moves in practice, the more reps everyone gets.
Offensive pace has been molasses uphill in the snow the last 3+ seasons. From what I have seen/heard, offense is moving at warp speed compared to the last few years.

Serious note: has anyone here even seen any of the practices/scrimmage or talked to someone who has seen them or are we all just talking out of our rear ends?

Serious note: has anyone here even seen any of the practices/scrimmage or talked to someone who has seen them or are we all just talking out of our rear ends?
Well in the video the guy from 247 sports specifically said what he heard from people actually at the scrimmage, that the coaching staff and themselves were stunned by how good the offense looked. If that is what you are talking about.

Advertisement
Just ******* around but it would not shock me if the defense gets worked this year.

The defense has been good for a minute, but it’s only a matter of time before they finally give out. Not to mention we are lacking big time in the coaching department Defensively.

If the offense can do it’s thing and specials keep trending up. We’ll be ok. Praying the defense doesn’t break.

I would think, with Lashlee here, that Diaz puts more of his personal focus on the D and helps them out. Just a thought.

Yeah, our defense is just going to "give out" like an old set of tires.

Guys haven't really been hitting for 8 months. They are going to be fresh as daisies.

This the deepest our defense has been in a while, i think our defenses have never been elite, yet we have been on the cusp a few times but never really Elite. I think we will have a solid young super athletic defense that will be stingy but the offense will be all world especially if we have a three headed monster at RB
The year we won the coastal it was pretty darn good. The O had a low average and we still won 10 games purely from defense.

Some things to keep in mind:

- a lot of defensive starters were held out during scrimmage 1 so reports of the offense running roughshod should be tempered with that in mind
- the new offense we're installing has historically given our defense (and many others) fits
- losing our best pass rusher and 4 year starters at LB will absolutely have an effect
- it's cliché but I do expect the new tempo of our offense to impact how long the defense stays on the field this year.
- our defensive philosophy is predicated on havoc and disruption. When the offense gives you less time to create that, it's gonna leave holes in the D

All that to say I expect us to field a top-30 scoring defense this year. I think we come down to earth in a few categories, but as long as we're scoring 35 ppg we just need to keep the other guys scoring 34 or less...

Advertisement
It better be. King is basically a semi pro player right now. He's probably only enrolled in a remote bowling class or something.

If you think about it, the last successful Qb we had -- Rosier -- was in a similar position. The majority of Kinhs day is focused on the craft of signal calling.

Offense ahead of expectations = defense behind expectations

Correct me if I'm wrong but the scrimmage and a lot of the simulations during practice have been 1s vs 2s, from all accounts. Has someone confirmed this?

What's the logic on the defense finally giving out? It's not like you have the same players each year and guys are worn down. This isn't the NFL.

Defense will be fine.. We go as far as offensive scheme will take us. If King is Heisman special we'll be in the playoff hunt as long as special teams doesn't **** the bed (Kicker and Punter)

Advertisement
The defense was probably in shock at seeing an actual competent offense across the practice field. These guys were going up against Rict's 1970's playbook and then whatever the **** that was last year. Going against a legit O will only make them better in the long run.

I still expect the defense to be in the top 15-20 this year....

The lber positions are the only ones I expect to see a significant drop until someone emerges that can anchor down at that position.

But everywhere else I only see improvement... striker, safeties, cbs, DTs, and DEs all should be improved even with the loss of Rousseau.

Jaelan Phillips is a 1st round talent and Roche was one of the best DEs in the country last year neither of those two played for us last year.

Say what you want about Manny’s stubbornness and ability to get too cute, but his scheme has a high floor overall.

Rousseau is obviously a loss but I’m still not worried about DE, there’s just too many athletes.

The only areas to worry about are defensive tackle penetration and linebacker play.

If those are up to par, this is an elite defense. If they’re pedestrian, this is a solid but unspectacular defense.

Advertisement

I never bought for a second this Defense is elite or ever has been under Diaz. VT exposed Baker and how to handle his idiotic blitz packages.

Man, the defense has been somewhere between pretty good and fantastic since Diaz has been here. Even at their worst, they were still miles ahead of the offense. I’m not worried about them. I’m just friggin’ excited we have an offense that will actually scare opponents now. We don’t need to pitch a shutout to have a chance to win anymore.

Allow yourselves to get excited about this.

Our defense is going to regress this year. Losing two four year starters at linebacker and a top 5 pick will have an impact. I still think we will be good, but not dominant. If the offense can be top 40 in scoring (~31 ppg) and we can be opportunistic on D, we will win most of our games
That's only 6 points better than last year and puts us on a level with Wake Forest and Va. Tech. If the defense regresses, we need to do better than that.

We have a RSenior QB, who scored 50 TDs in 10 games, leading a fast paced offense with an OC who has been apart of torching several respected defenses, facing off against 4th-down-Baker, and you guys are concerned?

We better not face a better offense all season other than Clemson. We have a QB, gents.

Our defense should be on its heels.

Side note: Willis Mac ran all over Ed Reed and the 2001 defense if I recall correctly.

Advertisement
Back