Miami Offense Ahead of Expectations

Advertisement
Our defense is going to regress this year. Losing two four year starters at linebacker and a top 5 pick will have an impact. I still think we will be good, but not dominant. If the offense can be top 40 in scoring (~31 ppg) and we can be opportunistic on D, we will win most of our games

We are also adding a first rounder and an elite 5 star to the d-line and a healthy 5 star safety to a backfield that‘s now has a year of maturity under its belt.

Defense won’t cost us a game this year.

Good thing about the new offense playing with Tempo, and getting rid of the ball quickly, and having a good offensive mind behind it, it will force the defense to be more fundamentally sound, and hopefully less exotic. Tired of the crazy blitzes, tired of QB not being accounted for, and tired of seeing 2nd rate tight ends running crossing patterns all game long and us not adjusting.

tenor-31.gif

Advertisement
Our defense is going to regress this year. Losing two four year starters at linebacker and a top 5 pick will have an impact. I still think we will be good, but not dominant. If the offense can be top 40 in scoring (~31 ppg) and we can be opportunistic on D, we will win most of our games

I think it will regress statistically because we dont have the Bethunes and as many cupcakes as years previously. I do think you need to account for a more proficient offense however. There were times our D was straight gassed in games, or had suchhhh a short field to work with so maybe losing a few guys would be cancelled out by playing with a lead, more rest etc.

This the deepest our defense has been in a while, i think our defenses have never been elite, yet we have been on the cusp a few times but never really Elite. I think we will have a solid young super athletic defense that will be stingy but the offense will be all world especially if we have a three headed monster at RB
Agree on the talent, it's the fundamentals, schemes ( we blitz and leave the middle of the field wide open) gap integrity that worries me.

New, no-huddle, rapid reload offense - and that is not only going to cause our opponents a lot of headaches - our own defense is going against a system that will make them better, and better with more and more speed and endurance.

We did lose a number of defensive players.

We do every couple years - and each time - "oh woe is me! We are so inexperienced and can never replace . . . "

Then, we do.

Good thing about the new offense playing with Tempo, and getting rid of the ball quickly, and having a good offensive mind behind it, it will force the defense to be more fundamentally sound, and hopefully less exotic. Tired of the crazy blitzes, tired of QB not being accounted for, and tired of seeing 2nd rate tight ends running crossing patterns all game long and us not adjusting.
You mean those blitzes that came10 seconds after... oh crap, we just blitzed Sam Howell... AGAIN! Dang, 11 months after the snap!

Advertisement
sigh....the football illiterate always show up around fall camp time.
if you ever watched this team - you would understand what our D tries to accomplish...that won't change.
crazy to think there are people who even made it thru last season and didnt see the O held us back from everything...lol
our D is designed high risk, high reward..."stats" will ebb and flow with that always.

Advertisement
Advertisement
More often than not, the Defense is usually ahead of the Off at this point to begin with (especially at UM the last umpteen yrs)...What a breath of fresh air that the Offense is more than holding its own...if not being ahead for once. That doesn't necessarily mean the Defense isn't good...Its more of an indication of much better Off coaching...I can't see how anybody would complain after 16+ yrs of the opposite..

Losing Rousseau just takes us down from elite to great if anything. Phillips is a different mind of problem himself.. he’s a 270 pound man moving like a safety.. he’ll get to the QB a lot himself

Advertisement
Back