Miami Herald article on our DT by Barry Jackson. Just passing it along...

Most people don't expect 5th-7th round talent to leave early. Certainly not both. Put me down as someone that thinks there won't be a huge dropoff with Willis and Ford.

right. just like Kaaya. Golden kids just looking to make the NFL instead of developing to make a long term impact.when RJ's dad said he was worried about double teams if kendrick left, that told me all i needed to know.

Advertisement
Your sentiments are noted...but our D'Line lost 3 tackles and 2 outstanding DE's. That is a lot to make-up in one year against the likes of LSU, FSU, GT, etc..

We're talking 5 D'Linemen gone ... we all should be optimistic, with a tinge of concern.
trent harris might be the most underrated loss we've had in a long time. he showed up when we needed him too. consistent as ****.

DT is the most important position on any Cane football team. We haven’t seen any decent ones in years so the two last year got us excited. As the draft showed,they were not as great as they thought. I think the tow news ones this year mark the return of Hurricane DT dominance. Ford might have the goods but the freshmen look like the real deal coming in the door. First year out of high school will not allow them to go the distance in college season but they are going to show us all what Canes play DT like.

Am I the only one that doesn't see Norton when I see Miller's film? Miller looks bigger, stronger, and faster, with a better first step. I think in 3-4 years he will be twice the player Norton was.

Gonna have to settle for another 8-10 win season. It's gonna take FIVE YEARS (just like with Butch) before we have a complete team. Sucks, but it is what it is. Consequence of 3 chitty coaches in a row.
What Richt inherited was a **** of a lot better than what Butch inherited. Golden stunk, but the probation was ending, not just starting. That and it wasn't 35 darn scholarships. Not even close.

Advertisement
Future Time Man (Person) of the Year, eh? Joining the ranks of Hitler, Stalin, Khrushchev, The Ayatollah and Satan himself....Mark Zuckerberg?! And I thought our staff liked these kids.

you win in the trenches and both sides our or lines are our biggest question marks..

Advertisement
Looking forward to Willis with the urgency of being a senior. More natural talent than both DTs lost and could be in line for a monster year! Just need to get ACC starting-level production from the likes of Bethel, Tito, Ford, Silvera. With the talent that's going to be out there at both ends, they'll have opportunities to make plays one on one.

I actually don't think we have DL issues. When you have 2 premier DEs like we do that will hide a lot of negative plays the DTs have. With Garvin and JJax coming off those edges like they had gasoline underwear on in the Spring Game, I didn't see any poster complaining about DT play.

This DLine reminds me of the 1994 DLine. (Lang-Riley-Sapp-Holmes). Sapp was the war daddy which I think Willis can be. (not saying he is as good but he has the talent) Holmes and Lang picked up the slack off the edge. (Garvin and JJax) If we can find a Patrick Riley (Bethel or Tito?) this DLine will be dominant.

People complaining about the loss of THarris don't realize how good DJax is. He will more then fill that role.

I actually don't think we have DL issues. When you have 2 premier DEs like we do that will hide a lot of negative plays the DTs have. With Garvin and JJax coming off those edges like they had gasoline underwear on in the Spring Game, I didn't see any poster complaining about DT play.

This DLine reminds me of the 1994 DLine. (Lang-Riley-Sapp-Holmes). Sapp was the war daddy which I think Willis can be. (not saying he is as good but he has the talent) Holmes and Lang picked up the slack off the edge. (Garvin and JJax) If we can find a Patrick Riley (Bethel or Tito?) this DLine will be dominant.

People complaining about the loss of THarris don't realize how good DJax is. He will more then fill that role.
That’s my thing yes we lost talent but we also have a lot of talent returning as well including 4-5 guys on the dline who have played a lot of ball. Now you add a 6’6 255 patchan, 6’7 250 rousseau, Silvera 6’2 305, Jon ford 6’6 300 and others to the mix and we will be fine. We play an attacking scheme, the production will get produced some way. Garvin is going to have a monster season as he’s probably our most natural pass rusher in a long time

Lol y’all act like we playing The Cowboys OL every game.. The scheme is simple, we have talent, we have numbers.. our LB’s can make up for any deficiencies if any from the DT position.... until we are getting blown off the ball every other snap, it’s not a problem right now....

Advertisement
DT has always been a concern for me. Not sure how people just say this years line is better than last years, it is a bunch of unproven players who replaced 2 NFLers and a senior.

Exactly. We need a lot to go right for us.

Need Willis to stay out of trouble, stay healthy the whole year, and, of course, he actually needs to be good.

We have Bethel, who is decent, but doesn’t seem to be anything special. Anyone on this thread saying we’re replacing 5-7 round DTs seems to forget that Bethel was 4th in our DT rotation.

Then you have Ford, a scrub from the Big 10, and freshmen.

Do we have enough to talent to win the coastal? Yeah. But we’re not doing much more than that unless some of these guys really surprise.

Advertisement
I'm not the slightest bit concerned about DT. There's a lack of experience but there's legit talent all over the depth chart. I don't think there will be any drop off in production, if anything the position is deeper and there will be more guys in the rotation.

Unproven players or guys that have never taken an official stat snap, sure get the benefit of the doubt on this board. They conveniently become the answer to all our ills.

I understand the glass half full approach, but I want to see a guy live up to potential before I start comparing him to anybody or making claims he may be better than last year's starter. And, I also want to see how both the O and D-lines play as a unit. You can hide deficiencies from the lesser teams but not the teams we are building towards competing with.

I'm with the guy who said someone probably should have identified the potential of both of those guys leaving ; a worst case scenario, and had a little better plan.

Having an experience back 7 is going to go a long ways, especially at LB. Depth is a problem at DT, but I'm sure we'll address that with this year class. I think it may be a double edge sword with Coach Simpson. If he's a drop off from Kul, it's going to be hella noticeable and may cost us a game or two, but if he can increase the production on the DL we may not be able to keep that dude.

Clemson has 1st rounders staying their Senior years and we have 4th and 7th rounders bolting.

**** I know Macintosh was gone after the Ga Tech game. "They were trying to kill my career."

Pffft

Dumb move to go pro. Good luck to them. Dumb move.

That's probably why they bolted...I don't agree with their decision but they most likely had a better chance going earlier in the 2018 draft than they did in the 2019 draft.

Advertisement
Back