Miami Herald article on our DT by Barry Jackson. Just passing it along...

Ok I'll bite.... I believe you are talking about Alex Leatherwood as the freshman O-Lineman who was forced into action due to injury, he was also a 5-star talent. If we had Ed Oliver I wouldn't be as concerned. But we have Miller who is projected as developmental and Nesta who rose through the rankings and I do think will be great but is not a consensus top 5 overall player.

Concerning QB, Hurts was doing nothing and Saban made a change, it was not like Saban was relying on their "frosh" QB to give them meaningful snaps throughout the seasons.

Concerning WR, I believe this position translates easier than a d-lineman, I am not at all concerned about Mark Pope playing for us this year... mainly because of the other players we have in front of him and any production we get is a bonus, unlike our d-line where we will rely on them.

We aren’t relying on Nesta to be Ed Oliver. He’s our 4th or 5th DT right now. That can change but he’s not gonna be a day 1 starter vs LSU... Frosh are ready to compete now. At a high level. This isn’t the 60’s.. I’m just saying I don’t see our DT position being a problem until it becomes a problem.

Advertisement
We aren’t not relying on Silvera or any true freshman to start on the trenches. Playing a handful of snaps as a 4th dt should be easily attainable for a top 50 #2 dt prospect in the country. Matter of fact he should have been number 1. The guy they rated #1 josh belk has already transferred from clemson

Again, I did not say start, I was simply responding to your comment about playoff teams starting freshman olineman. If a freshman flat out wins a position of course he starts. That's not my point, it is not knowing what freshman or unproven players can contribute... As you just said the number 1 DT already transferred. Nothing is certain until they hit the field and we see what they can do and uncertainty in your dline depth is worrisome especially with how we rotate our dline where oline does not experience the same type of hockey type line shifts.

We aren’t relying on Nesta to be Ed Oliver. He’s our 4th or 5th DT right now. That can change but he’s not gonna be a day 1 starter vs LSU... Frosh are ready to compete now. At a high level. This isn’t the 60’s.. I’m just saying I don’t see our DT position being a problem until it becomes a problem.

If Nesta was an EE we could have an actual baseline of seeing him at the next level but to say our depth is fine without seeing him play is an optimistic view point which I am fine with but does not change the fact that our dline (starters down to depth players) is a relative unknown which is worrisome.

I just dont understand how the staff didnt see or plan for both DT leaving, many saw this coming dam near 2 years ago?! That was only thing I caught from that... Kind of makes you shake your head

The same way they poorly read recruits....showed there. Half this board knew both of those kids were gone last spring and they seemed to have no idea.

Looking forward to Willis with the urgency of being a senior. More natural talent than both DTs lost and could be in line for a monster year! Just need to get ACC starting-level production from the likes of Bethel, Tito, Ford, Silvera. With the talent that's going to be out there at both ends, they'll have opportunities to make plays one on one.

I agree. He's a first round talent if he shows out like he's talented enough to. I liked Norton and McIntosh, but neither of them had the wow factor that Willis can bring. I honestly believe our DTs are more talented, if less experienced, than last season.

Advertisement
The same way they poorly read recruits....showed there. Half this board knew both of those kids were gone last spring and they seemed to have no idea.

Do you think maybe the coach who worked most with them (Kool) might have been out of touch with his guys personally?

Rumph and Banda were able to convince Mike Jack and Jaquan to stick around when it's probable that both would have been drafted ahead of either DT that left early.

I think we all assumed McIntosh was gone. Nobody could have guessed Norton was too and they would be a "package deal" whether they stayed or went.

That said, Richt is still learning these guys and I really think he believed that MJ and JJ could convince at least one to stay. Richt needs to remember he aint in the SEC anymore. At UM, if you are a top 4 round guy, assume they are gone. Sucks but that's the direction of the program now. Hope Richt can change that.

R.J. lived in the backfield last year and was really disruptive. I don’t think he got enough credit around here. He still made a mistake going pro though.

Advertisement
We aren’t not relying on Silvera or any true freshman to start on the trenches. Playing a handful of snaps as a 4th dt should be easily attainable for a top 50 #2 dt prospect in the country. Matter of fact he should have been number 1. The guy they rated #1 josh belk has already transferred from clemson

Silvera is the best defensive tackle prospect since Wilfork. The kid's explosive first and second step are uncanny. Plus, he brings a nastiness we haven't seen at tackle in along time. Just need to make sure he plays under control. He will get a ton of reps. Vince played a ton behind Joseph and Walters his true freshman year. I saw enough in the all-star and the all-star week clips to say this kid is the goods.

snooze.jpg

I just dont understand how the staff didnt see or plan for both DT leaving, many saw this coming dam near 2 years ago?! That was only thing I caught from that... Kind of makes you shake your head

We're still not where we need to be talent wise. I think we're getting there on offense, pending a QB emerging, defense still has a ways to go IMO, especially in the front 7.

Advertisement
What about this guy?

DGbJR-mU0AASm7N.jpg

Fair enough. Well yeah, he was considered top knotch, top 3, coming out of NW and thought we had something after his freshman year. Injuries and then having to two-gap did him in. Still should have stayed for his senior year. That being said Silvera has the same dog and nastiness that Vince had.

Last edited:
I don't think so, we came **** close last year. A couple bounces go our way and we can get to the playoffs. It's college football man, anything can happen.

A couple bounces don’t go our way and we are a 7 win team. We aren’t there yet. 10
Wins would be a great season. We are still 2 years away

Advertisement
Easy

The NFL graded them and neither were top 3 round material. Norton went in the SEVENTH ROUND AND HAD 50 11 DT's go ahead of him. You really think the Clemson kids alone had him thinking to leave early.

3 kids ain't SEVEN ROUNDS

3 kids ain't even FIVE ROUNDs. **** I was wrong. Mac in the FIFTH

139th overall and you're telling me a Senior year wouldn't have helped that? Good lawd.

It is RETARDED
The kids from Clemson go and Norton goes the way of Joe Yearby. His decision to go early was that dumb, and it’s nothing but dumb luck he got drafted at all.

I have no frigging clue what the person you’re responding to is thinking, but he isn’t worth the effort.

The Draft Advisory Board only hands out 3 grades; Day 1, Day 2, Stay in School. If they tell you to stay in school, your coaches tell you that you need to improve, and you declare early anyway, you’re gambling on the notion that you know better than every professional that has helped get you to where you are AND the professionals holding the keys to the next level.

It’s ******* retarded. No other way to put it.

Quite a few draft services and mocks had Norton and McIntosh graded 5th round to UDFA. None that I recall had them rated in the 3rd or higher. Now so many of the same porsters who were talking noise about how wrong these “experts” were and how they consistently undervalue Miami kids, are standing here beating their chests about being “right.”

You ain’t right. The experts were right. You were just as wrong as them other two idiots who thought they knew something that everyone else didn’t. I just hope McIntosh and Norton don’t end up like Kaaya and Yearby and stupidity replaces the standard at Miami that was once known as NFL U.

We have three of four spots accounted for with NFL level talent in Willis, Jax and Garvin. All will go higher than McIntosh and Norton. We’re worried about one spot. Bethel, Ford and Odenigbo will be enough to cover. And that’s not even considering the freshmen.

I miss Chad Thomas the most of the guys that went pro, followed by Toolbox. I think our current DTs are at least equal to the guys that left.

Advertisement
Back