Miami Herald article on our DT by Barry Jackson. Just passing it along...

We are 4 deep at DE not including Rousseau.

DT we have Bethel, Ford, Willis. Jackson will rotate in
That's probably why they bolted...I don't agree with their decision but they most likely had a better chance going earlier in the 2018 draft than they did in the 2019 draft.

That is retarded.

Advertisement
We are 4 deep at DE not including Rousseau.

DT we have Bethel, Ford, Willis. Jackson will rotate in

That is retarded.

Please explain how that is retarded. You go into a draft where there are more higher rated players than you at your position and you think you will be drafted earlier? That's retarded.

Gonna have to settle for another 8-10 win season. It's gonna take FIVE YEARS (just like with Butch) before we have a complete team. Sucks, but it is what it is. Consequence of 3 chitty coaches in a row.
What? lol we’re just missing a few spots with depth after 2 years come back from the ledge man

Please explain how that is retarded. You go into a draft where there are more higher rated players than you at your position and you think you will be drafted earlier? That's retarded.

Easy

The NFL graded them and neither were top 3 round material. Norton went in the SEVENTH ROUND AND HAD 50 11 DT's go ahead of him. You really think the Clemson kids alone had him thinking to leave early.

3 kids ain't SEVEN ROUNDS

3 kids ain't even FIVE ROUNDs. **** I was wrong. Mac in the FIFTH

139th overall and you're telling me a Senior year wouldn't have helped that? Good lawd.

It is RETARDED

Easy

The NFL graded them and neither were top 3 round material. Norton went in the SEVENTH ROUND AND HAD 50 11 DT's go ahead of him. You really think the Clemson kids alone had him thinking to leave early.

3 kids ain't SEVEN ROUNDS

3 kids ain't even FIVE ROUNDs. **** I was wrong. Mac in the FIFTH

139th overall and you're telling me a Senior year wouldn't have helped that? Good lawd.

It is RETARDED

I should have re-worded my response as it sounds like that is the sole reason they left. Those are three teams less likely to take d-line players in the later rounds, do you even understand that or do you think just cause a kid goes in the first it doesn't affect the rest of that team's draft in the later rounds. If a team drafts a WR is in the first round is it more or less likely they draft a WR in the proceeding rounds? If they draft a guard in the first round is it less or more likely they draft another guard in the later rounds? The more talent in the draft at your position affects your draft stock, it's a pretty simple concept to understand. Have you seen the players coming out in 2019 on the defensive line.. go take a look.

Advertisement
I should have re-worded my response as it sounds like that is the sole reason they left. Those are three less teams less likely to take d-line players in the later rounds, do you even understand that or do you think just cause a kid goes in the first it doesn't affect the rest of that team's draft in the later rounds. If a team drafts a WR is in the first round is it more or less likely they draft a WR in the proceeding rounds? If they draft a guard in the first round is it less or more likely they draft another guard in the later rounds? The more talent in the draft at your position affects your draft stock, it's a pretty simple concept to understand. Have you seen the players coming out in 2019 on the defensive line.. go take a look.

You're really hurting my brain here, but I will respond again.

They KNEW elite talent from Clemson were not going into the draft, got crappy draft scores from the NFL, knew they were needed on this years team and STILL LEFT and hilariously enough went in the 5th and the 7th round.

Let me repeat

The 5th and the 7th round.

Barring INJURY I can **** near GUARANTEE you they would have gone higher staying one more year. Honestly is this real life right now? Are you trolling or just bored?

You're really hurting my brain here, but I will respond again.

They KNEW elite talent from Clemson were not going into the draft, got crappy draft scores from the NFL, knew they were needed on this years team and STILL LEFT and hilariously enough went in the 5th and the 7th round.

Let me repeat

The 5th and the 7th round.

Barring INJURY I can **** near GUARANTEE you they would have gone higher staying one more year. Honestly is this real life right now? Are you trolling or just bored?

Didn't RJ and Norton declare to enter the draft prior to the Clemson guys making a decision?

My apologies, I thought they declared after they find out about kids coming back. I'm admittedly the spectrum kid here in this debate. I still believe next year's draft is more stacked on the line than the 2019 draft. I do agree they should of come back and you shouldn't leave if you are not graded high.

DT depth in 2018 >>>> 2017.

Thank you. And that's why I'm not worried about DT next season. We had 2 good DTs last season and then spelled them with Moten and Bethel. That was it. Not having Willis in the mix really hurt the group especially towards the end of the season.

We've now got Willis, Bethel, Ford, Tito, Nesta and Miller. And I think all 6 will play during the course of next season. Much better depth.

Advertisement
Thank you. And that's why I'm not worried about DT next season. We had 2 good DTs last season and then spelled them with Moten and Bethel. That was it. Not having Willis in the mix really hurt the group especially towards the end of the season.

We've now got Willis, Bethel, Ford, Tito, Nesta and Miller. And I think all 6 will play during the course of next season. Much better depth.

To be optimistic and not worried to me are two different things... You have to believe if Ford was part of the top 4 last year, he would have played based on Richt's history of playing freshman (I know he missed most of camp and that hurts) but to not worry that our top 3 DT's are gone and we have our 4th DT from last year and Willis, who has yet to put it all together outside of practice, (In '16 he had a decent year but also got hurt against fsu I believe) starting is some cause for concern...

Can tito, nesta/miller give us Moten/Bethel type depth that we had last year? Likely, but relying on freshman is always a troubling thought and lets not forget we lost Chad Thomas and Trent Harris off the edge to perhaps take away some of the pressure of the DT's. Garvin/Joe are great but depth takes a hit there as well.... Having Patchan and a true freshman rotate in or Tito, while optimistic, is more worrisome than having a senior moten and Trent Harris like we had last year.

It's college football. The longest you'll have any player is four years. You're constantly replacing players who've either graduated or left for the draft. No team has experience at every single position. Personally, I trust that the guys our current staff have brought in to play DT are more talented than the guys our previous staff brought in to play DT. People acting like Mac and Norton were Sapp and Jerome Brown or something.

To be optimistic and not worried to me are two different things... You have to believe if Ford was part of the top 4 last year, he would have played based on Richt's history of playing freshman (I know he missed most of camp and that hurts) but to not worry that our top 3 DT's are gone and we have our 4th DT from last year and Willis, who has yet to put it all together outside of practice, (In '16 he had a decent year but also got hurt against fsu I believe) starting is some cause for concern...

Can tito, nesta/miller give us Moten/Bethel type depth that we had last year? Likely, but relying on freshman is always a troubling thought and lets not forget we lost Chad Thomas and Trent Harris off the edge to perhaps take away some of the pressure of the DT's. Garvin/Joe are great but depth takes a hit there as well.... Having Patchan and a true freshman rotate in or Tito, while optimistic, is more worrisome than having a senior moten and Trent Harris like we had last year.
this is so true. i have concerns relying on freshmen D-linemen. im also concerned about our DE depth next year.

Advertisement
Lol Alabama had a Frosh QB, WR and OL on the last drive to win a championship and y’all worried about a Frosh being our 4th Or 5th DT..

Lol Alabama had a Frosh QB, WR and OL on the last drive to win a championship and y’all worried about a Frosh being our 4th Or 5th DT..

Ok I'll bite.... I believe you are talking about Alex Leatherwood as the freshman O-Lineman who was forced into action due to injury, he was also a 5-star talent. If we had Ed Oliver I wouldn't be as concerned. But we have Miller who is projected as developmental and Nesta who rose through the rankings and I do think will be great but is not a consensus top 5 overall player.

Concerning QB, Hurts was doing nothing and Saban made a change, it was not like Saban was relying on their "frosh" QB to give them meaningful snaps throughout the seasons.

Concerning WR, I believe this position translates easier than a d-lineman, I am not at all concerned about Mark Pope playing for us this year... mainly because of the other players we have in front of him and any production we get is a bonus, unlike our d-line where we will rely on them.

Bittersweet.. but it's kind of nice to come full circle back to the "Can he play DT" days..

It's been too long. Welcome home. Be a cheeseburger.

Advertisement
Ok I'll bite.... I believe you are talking about Alex Leatherwood as the freshman O-Lineman who was forced into action due to injury, he was also a 5-star talent. If we had Ed Oliver I wouldn't be as concerned. But we have Miller who is projected as developmental and Nesta who rose through the rankings and I do think will be great but is not a consensus top 5 overall player.

Concerning QB, Hurts was doing nothing and Saban made a change, it was not like Saban was relying on their "frosh" QB to give them meaningful snaps throughout the seasons.

Concerning WR, I believe this position translates easier than a d-lineman, I am not at all concerned about Mark Pope playing for us this year... mainly because of the other players we have in front of him and any production we get is a bonus, unlike our d-line where we will rely on them.
Not saying Silvera was better than Oliver but he was the #3 dt in the country and Silvera was the #2dt in the country. Media tried to spin it off as the dt class was bad in the 2018 class which is explains the distortion in overall ranking but if there is one thing clear Silvera was a monster at heritage his senior year and outperformed the rest of the dts at the opening and army game

I think 2 years back 3 of the 4 playoff teams started a true freshman on the oline. It’s more common now for players in the trenches to come in and make an impact

I think 2 years back 3 of the 4 playoff teams started a true freshman on the oline. It’s more common now for players in the trenches to come in and make an impact

Having someone start due to injury or perhaps attrition is completely different than coming in and winning the job straight up. Can it be done? of course, look at donaldson, no complaints there, but relying on a freshman to start or give meaningful minutes is worrisome. That was the main point of my post, being optimistic is one thing but to not be worried at all is another.

Having someone start due to injury or perhaps attrition is completely different than coming in and winning the job straight up. Can it be done? of course, look at donaldson, no complaints there, but relying on a freshman to start or give meaningful minutes is worrisome. That was the main point of my post, being optimistic is one thing but to not be worried at all is another.
We are not relying on Silvera or any true freshman to start in the trenches. Playing a handful of snaps as a 4th dt should be easily attainable for a top 50 #2 dt prospect in the country. Matter of fact he should have been number 1. The guy they rated #1 josh belk has already transferred from clemson

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back