Miami finishes ranked 22nd in AP

So now it's about quality losses? Cool story. How we lose is the barometer.
No, it's about not looking like a bumbling high school football team in a loss. They were humiliated and we were their redemption. It was a shocking loss, not just a low quality loss.

That changed the attitude about the entire defense on this site.

Advertisement
MOre sobering is we’re behind Indiana, coastal Carolina, northwestern, Iowa, Iowa state, Louisiana, BYU and liberty...and in The company of ball state, San Jose state and Buffalo

The other 3 times we finished ranked I don’t believe we won even 8 games the next year. 2006, 2014, 2018 were all disasters. This years team with 17-19 returning starters plus already 1-2 impactful transfers has a chance to set manny on a different course. I think for the right portal player manny should be willing to dip into next years 25 scholarships to chase a big year. A mediocre season and we’ll struggle to find 25 quality guys anyway

People always forget the 2016 season. Ended with 5 straight wins and finished the season top 15. Then won 10 games in a row the next season.

Building off a strong finish paid off the one time we did it in 15 years.

Sobering stat: that’s only our fourth time finishing ranked in 15 years.

Let’s hope this is a positive step forward and not a meaningless one-off.
Don’t laugh at this comment, but I’m throwing down some money in Vegas tomorrow on Miami to win the national championship next season. I’m guessing we’ll be 300/500 to 1. With the transfers coming in, the returning players and king, I can’t help but to think we could win the ACC. If we do and beat Alabama week one, “they play the games for a reason”, why not us. A quarterback, two kickers, lock down defense with depth, 50% plus four star roster and two Heisman candidates and possibly two pre-season all Americans... I’ll hang up and listen. 🤔 Yes I’m a homer and proud the **** of it.

No, it's about not looking like a bumbling high school football team in a loss. They were humiliated and we were their redemption. It was a shocking loss, not just a low quality loss.

That changed the attitude about the entire defense on this site.
We got smoked by a good team. That does not disqualify the entire season. Sorry.

You are still talking about how we lost

Advertisement
Sobering stat: that’s only our fourth time finishing ranked in 15 years.

Let’s hope this is a positive step forward and not a meaningless one-off.
Need to be the floor, not the ceiling. Doable but we need a full commitment from the administration, coaches and players.

1610461349114.png

We got smoked by a good team. That does not disqualify the entire season. Sorry
I didn't say that it did. I said it would have looked better if we hadn't given up both team and NCAA records in rushing to a team that got spanked by a terrible FSU team. If that game wasn't the disaster that it was, we wouldn't be ranked lower than other teams with the same record.

I didn't say that it did. I said it would have looked better if we hadn't given up both team and NCAA records in rushing to a team that got spanked by a terrible FSU team. If that game wasn't the disaster that it was, we wouldn't be ranked lower than other teams with the same record.
UNC game exposed us as frauds in the eyes of everyone outside Miami, as many suspected we were throughout the season. It's why we never peaked higher than....I can't remember, 8th or 9th when our only loss was to #1 Clemson at the time.

We play UNC 10 times, we probably win some, lose some and 62-26 is more than likely an outlier, but this is the real world and you don't get do-overs. We were annihilated on national TV and everyone said "Ah, there's the Miami we all know". It really set back the perception of the program from a media standpoint, I'm actually mildly surprised we finished ranked because of that game. Obviously the class held together which was huge, but you can't have too many 62-26 games and expect your program to trend upwards.

Advertisement
UNC game exposed us as frauds in the eyes of everyone outside Miami, as many suspected we were throughout the season. It's why we never peaked higher than....I can't remember, 8th or 9th when our only loss was to #1 Clemson at the time.

We play UNC 10 times, we probably win some, lose some and 62-26 is more than likely an outlier, but this is the real world and you don't get do-overs. We were annihilated on national TV and everyone said "Ah, there's the Miami we all know". It really set back the perception of the program from a media standpoint, I'm actually mildly surprised we finished ranked because of that game. Obviously the class held together which was huge, but you can't have too many 62-26 games and expect your program to trend upwards.
This. If we had lost even 31-26 I think we stay in the top-20 at least. If we had held them (and I can't believe I have to type this) to JUST 250 yards rushing, maybe the bottom doesn't fall out quite so hard.

Here’s a stat that’ll blow your mind. Of the 21 games played in the CFP, Bama, Clemp$on, and Ohio Taint have won 17.

If any of the following would have happened, we would have been top-15, IMO:

1. Kept within 3 scores of Clemson
2. Not had a record-breaking loss to UNC (even a "regular" loss would have done it)
3. Given a crap about the bowl game in the first 15 minutes

Especially #2 for me. So far, the Diaz Era has been defined by incremental progress tainted by annual inexcusable, near-hilariously bad performances (FIU 2019, UNC 2020).
And those utterly atrocious performances always occur after momentum building wins

2019 FIU was after we blew out a decent Louisville team

2020 UNC was after we destroyed Duke (they're terrible, but 48-0 is impressive no matter what), we were 8-1, and had a clear path to the Orange Bowl

Last edited:
Advertisement
2020 was a good year. We won the offseason national championship, were ranked in the CFP top 10 in mid-December, produced a few All-Americans, signed a top-10 recruiting class. 2021 is off to a good start. Enjoy the offseason!

UNC next year might even be worse than this year.. Man, I really dislike those guys.. I'll never forget the upside down U disrespect in our faces..

2020 was a good building year. We won the offseason national championship, were ranked in the CFP top 10 in mid-December, produced a few All-Americans, signed a top-10 recruiting class. 2021 is off to a good start. Enjoy the offseason!
FIFY

Advertisement
2020 was a good year. We won the offseason national championship, were ranked in the CFP top 10 in mid-December, produced a few All-Americans, signed a top-10 recruiting class. 2021 is off to a good start. Enjoy the offseason!
Truly a great poster.

MOre sobering is we’re behind Indiana, coastal Carolina, northwestern, Iowa, Iowa state, Louisiana, BYU and liberty...and in The company of ball state, San Jose state and Buffalo

Bruh stop it... you know how these recruiting ranks work. You win and you are in regardless of strength of conference UNLESS it is the top 4. There are only a few teams ahead of us with equal or more losses... ok. St (who beat us) UNC (who beat us) and the likes of UF. If you want to just play the name game, we are ahead of LSU, Oregon, TCU, Wisconsin, Auburn etc. and dont come at me with the "well they were dog **** this year" because it is irrelevant when you are listing teams like BYU who beat I think one team with a winning record, and overall played teams with a 45-60 record.

Odd. If you read this board you’d think we were the worst team in the history of college football. But somehow we ended the season ranked for just the 4th time in the last 15(!) years.

It didn’t end how we wanted but we took a step forward this season. Need to take another step forward next season.
Not with Baker we won’t, bet that!

We got smoked by a good team. That does not disqualify the entire season. Sorry.

You are still talking about how we lost

How we lost matters. We didn't just get smoked... it was one of the worst defensive performances in the history of UM football.

But you are right that the rest of the season matters. And how we won matters, too.

Didn't cover against UAB.
Barely edged out a bad UVA team at home.
Close, comeback wins against VT and NCState.
We beat Pitt without their stud starting QB (also didn't cover the spread).
And, of course, getting beaten by Clem$son (again) by 25 points and losing to a very beatable OkSU team because we were an hour late to the game.

Forfeit State, Duke, and UL were the only wins this season that any honest fan should have felt good about the team.

Hopefully 2020 is a step on the path towards something better. But as an end destination, it does not measure up.

Advertisement
Back